1989 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4.0 from North America

Summary:

GREAT FUN - Made like they used to be

150,000 Hoses had to be replace maintenance only.

155,000 Tranny cooling hose blew (only time ever BROKE down)

Headliner was falling down, just pulled it down, no replacement.

Roof rack is lifting off of roof bought after market rack.

General Comments:

I have owned many cars, from a 67 Volvo to a 1994 Toyota Camry, and believe that my Jeep is the funnest vehicle I have owned. I bought it for a bargain price and have only put the TLC back in that it deserved, I love this car, it is 15 years old and shows signs of that, but it has never left me stranded, from offroading, to road trips to Vegas, change the oil flush the radiator, been running strong the whole time, I can't wait for the snow season. I will never sell this car... they don't make 'em like they used too... Glad I have mine!

Review Date: 15th October, 2005

11th Aug 2006, 12:17

Tranny cooling is the only time I was stuck with my jeep too... love this car...

1989 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4.0 in line 6 cylinder from North America

Summary:

Best vehicle I've ever had

I got my jeep in November 2004. I have had the water pump go out, I replaced it. Unlike other Cherokees, mine has never overheated or ran warm. Great off-road. Headliner has sagged. Have a short on left front parking light (have seen this on a few Cherokees around the same year as mine (makes the blinker light on the left stay on) ). The Cherokee 4.0 is a hoss. I have blew away a 2005 Chevy Cavalier Z24.

General Comments:

The jeep is overall a great vehicle. Very powerful, would pull down a 150 year old oak tree if it had enough traction. Have a custom K & N cold air intake system (boosts about 35 HP).

Review Date: 11th October, 2005

1989 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4.0 inline six from North America

Summary:

Incredibly reliable

The headliner fell a week after buying it. I found this to be a common problem with all Cherokee's.

My water pump burst at 163,000 miles.

I replaced the alternator at 170,000 miles.

Had the air conditioner serviced at 172,000 miles.

General Comments:

I love my Cherokee it has been incredibly reliable.

The in-line six offers you pretty good pep and power for it size and weight.

It's a very handsome vehicle, yet it is tough as nails.

Plan to own it till the wheels fall off.

Review Date: 28th July, 2005

4th Aug 2005, 22:07

What did it cost to get the AC fixed?

30th Aug 2005, 22:44

I own a 1989 Jeep Cherokee Laredo with the 4.0 engine. It has 215,122 miles and is a daily work vehicle. I use it as a pizza delivery vehicle putting on nearly 200 miles a day on it. I gets run between 8 to 18 hours a day, and I drive it hard and fast. Aside from the overheating problems that seem normal for these cars, it has been a great car for me. I plan on lifting it 3 inches next week with 31 inch tires. I will continue to use it as a pizza car. I disconnected the AC as I live in Canada with no real need for cold air.

1989 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4.0 Liter 6 cylinder from North America

Summary:

One tough as nails truck

The steering gearbox at 99,000.

The water pump had a small leak at 110,00 replaced before it went.

Alternator at 145,000.

Rear brake cylinders at 152,000.

General Comments:

You cannot get this rig stuck. Mud, ice, snow, and sand it handles them all.

Extremely easy to fix, and parts are relatively cheap.

Makes up for the gas mileage (17cty/21hwy) with its sheer reliability and cheap parts.

Engine still feels as strong as day one, transmission still has no whine in it. Even though the rig spend 100k towing a large boat.

Jeep has got my loyalty, would only trade it for another Cherokee or a Wrangler.

Review Date: 31st January, 2005

31st Mar 2005, 06:44

Its awesome that it is still in good working order. My dad just gave me a 1989 Jeep Cherokee Laredo. It has got some problems.. Such as the e-brake is broken, that's minor. Hole in the oil pan, Which I heard that this happens to all Jeeps.. And it overheats in 60 + degree weather. If you've got any idea on this overheating problems, can you help me out?..email me at specialiswe@yahoo.com, It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.