1989 Jeep Cherokee Reviews - Page 4 of 9

1989 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L Straight 6 from North America

Model year1989
Engine and transmission Straight 6 Automatic
Previous carFord Tempo

Summary:

Scary good! All around awesome car!

Noise from drive train in the back end at over 50mph.

Noisy fuel pump.

Folding seat doesn't work. (apparently a common 2 door model problem, but an easy fix)

Clunky transmission.

Electrical problems. (bought with custom stereo, may have a wiring problem)

Shocks blew out. (may have been my fault... found a badger hole though)

Slow start.

General Comments:

This rig worries me in that, despite the few groans and clanks, nothing has gone wrong in the 4 months I've owned it (though I've only put on just under 1500 miles).

The few problems it does have (above) are typical problems found with this model of car at this age, and are not yet bad enough to warranty repair according to my mechanics.

I've taken this vehicle where I probably shouldn't have, but its gotten me out every time. Has more power than I suspected from such an old yuppie rig.

Cosmetically looks great, runs even better and at 3k purchase price, with 21mpg/highway the cost is just gravy.

Review Date: 26th October, 2004

1989 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4.0 litre gas from North America

Engine and transmission 4.0 litre gas Automatic
Distance when acquired199958 miles

Summary:

It is an all around excellent truck

It leaks oil from two of the engine seals.

The seat tracks broke on the front two seats.

Left rear brake line broke.

Clear coat faded and cracked, not real pretty.

General Comments:

I love this Jeep, it is the most reliable truck anyone in my family has owned.

At 215k miles it still gets 15 mpg, and around 200 hp.

It has real nice interior, not a whole lot of leg room, but plenty of cargo space.

Steering is real easy, brakes work real good, and plenty of power.

Review Date: 22nd August, 2004

1989 Jeep Cherokee Ltd V8 from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission V8 Automatic
Previous carJeep Grand Cherokee

Summary:

A comfortable, classy and affordable SUV

The only problems I have had with this car is when the weather gets humid the power sun roof does not want to open. Also my passenger side mirror does not seem to remember where I set it, so I have to reset it every time I enter the car. My factory warranty (that I extended) should repair that.

For having a V8 engine it does very well on gas. As a matter of fact, much better than I expected.

General Comments:

The V8 engine is very strong and runs smooth.

My Jeep has plenty of power and going over very steep passes I can still reach 80 miles per hour without any hesitation.

The down fall is that it runs so smooth on the open highway, if you do not pay attention, you easily find that you are going much faster than you anticipated.

Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ltd., is very comfortable and spacious. The extras that come with this model make driving very enjoyable.

It also handles very well on the highway and in mountain driving. (highway and off road).

I would recommend a Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ltd. to everyone.

Review Date: 9th August, 2004

1989 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4.0 V6 from North America

First year of ownership1998
Engine and transmission 4.0 V6 Automatic
Previous carJeep Cherokee

Summary:

An awesome vehicle that I will never sell!

Had a strange problem with the crank sensor the first year I bought it, which ended up frying a lot of the electrical.

The radiator runs hot, and I am currently driving without the thermostat until cooler weather.

Had to have the engine replaced: related to the crank sensor problem, though, so didn't get too bent out of shape.

The front windshield leaks water all the time, especially in the winter, and water has shorted out the radio. I keep forgetting to have it resealed until it rains when I drive it and my feet get soaked.

Had half the fuel injectors replaced at 195000 miles.

The drivers side window now gets stuck- there's something blocking the crank chain, I guess. Can still use it, just can't roll it down all the way.

The interior is in excellent shape... except the headliner which started caving in at about 230000 miles. Intend to fix it myself this autumn.

No cup holders, and the arm rest storage is hard to get into when driving.

Both side view mirrors can't be adjusted easily, and the passenger side on actually fell off a few months ago when I was washing it. (Just the actual mirror part, not the whole thing. Easily fixed.)

One quarter panel seems to have lost its' clearcoat, but I'm wondering if it was a repair paint job from the previous owner that wasn't as good as the rest. The rest of the car looks great, except where people keep opening their doors into mine. The dents are really hard to get out.

Go through brakes fairly quickly, but I think that might be the driver's fault...

One side of the roof rack has come loose, and is very difficult to get reset. The bolts now work themselves loose.

Both hydraulic arms went out within a month of purchase. Had the same problem with my other jeep, so I haven't fixed it. Just use a wooden rod to hold it up.

The metal rings around the keyholes are all meessed up, and you have to sort of fish it into place before inserting the key, otherwise you miss the locking cylinder thing.

General Comments:

Excellent head room and comfort for everyone... I'm 5'1" and my husband is 6'7", and we both fit in this vehicle comfortably, and with simple adjustments.

More room than I know what to do with, and hauls heavy loads very smoothly.

Even before replacing the engine with the same type of engine, this car has awesome power. I am generally able to leave my friends with their new, fancy cars in the dust.

The handles keep falling off the side adjustments on both front seats, and I keep losing them or they suddenly slide up under my foot while I am driving.

My other Jeep didn't have any heat to speak of, so this thing feels like it toasts me. Takes a while to warm up the whole cab, though.

Some of the replacement bulbs are getting hard to come by, and expensive.

I don't think I would ever like a new vehicle as much as I love this one! It has personality, I even named it "The Red Pig!" My other Jeep would still be sitting in the driveway right now, too, if the bottom hadn't rusted out due to the water getting trapped under the replacement interior.

It handles well, especially in any of the 4WD options, and seems to have a much lower center of gravity than you would think a vehicle of this size would. It handles corners and banked roads with ease, and doesn't sway when driven.

Maintenance and repair costs on this thing still don't run as much as a car payment would ever be, and parts are easy to find and usually easy to replace yourself.

I paid something like $2000 for this car, and have more than gotten that back. It's "bluebook" value is higher than that, but I doubt I will ever sell it.

Review Date: 29th July, 2004

20th May 2010, 00:14

I wouldn't sell this vehicle either. For as many problems as you have had with it, I would be ashamed to even ask money for it. Maybe I would donate it to an auto shop for a project at a high school or something.