1999 Jeep Cherokee Reviews - Page 4 of 12

1999 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 6.0 from North America

First year of ownership1999
Previous carJeep Cherokee

Noticed a very disturb shimmy from the front end. Took the vehicle to get a wheel balance and front alignment.

After a week, noticed it got worse, and an odor from the front tires, and the vehicle felt like it would not accelerate.

Now it was realized that the front calipers were sticking and wore down to the rotors.

Now this repair has turned into a nightmare, the repair consist of the master cylinder, rotors, calipers, pads, brake main line pressure hose, and the grocery list seems to grow. So far the total cost for repair and labor charges 1300.00. This repair is being done from a local shop, not the dealer.

Review Date: 1st June, 2007

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L from North America

Engine and transmission 4.0L Automatic

Summary:

Well-loved by all who drive one!

Stereo went at 50k miles.

Driver and passenger side windows both went at around 60k miles.

Converter replaced at 70k miles.

Exhaust manifold cracked at 75k miles.

New radiator needed, and rear main seal replaced at 80k miles.

Head gasket leaking, needed re-shop at 83k miles.

Exterior plastic molding is extremely faded and coming away from sides.

Paint starting to dull in spots on hood.

Interior plastic has cracked/broken off in some places.

General Comments:

I really love the open interior and great visibility this car/truck provides. I have yet to find another mid-size SUV with less blind spots.

Bumpy ride is to be expected with any truck, but is actually quite comfortable after settling in for a bit.

The turning radius is amazing for a small truck, and beats out other similarly built trucks, and even my friends smaller cars by a long-shot.

The squared off body as a definite plus when cutting corners and parking is a breeze.

Of course windows rattle a little, and outside noise levels are high, but the Cherokee is not exactly built for aerodynamics, and a good sound system will help drown it out!

I would love to keep my jeep for another 6 years at least, but maintenance and repair costs have drained my bank account. Despite "gentle" use (for a jeep) and strict upkeep on my part, the aforementioned problems are too much for me to continue fixing. I have spent over $3,000 in the past 6 months alone. I.

Despite any issues, I truly think this is a fantastic ride, and if I would not hesitate to keep putting money into it if only I had the resources. Hopefully I can find her a good home with another jeep enthusiast, and I will try not to be too upset every time I see a "chili-pepper red" '99 Cherokee Sport driving past me.

Review Date: 3rd May, 2007

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0 from North America

Year of manufacture1998
First year of ownership1999
Most recent distance112000 miles
Previous carChevrolet Cavalier

Summary:

Awesome

I have one problem that I cannot figure out. I have had it to several dealers, and because it doesn't come up on their computer, they say they can't find anything wrong with the car. When you first start the car, it idles very poorly and rough. It feels like it is going to die. Sounds like it is running out of gas. Have had the spark plug wires, changed along with the distributor and rotor. The motor runs smoothly after it runs between 5 to 10 minutes.

If anyone knows what is causing this, let me know. Thanks for the help!

It's still the best vehicle I have owned. No other problems.

Review Date: 19th February, 2007

9th Apr 2009, 22:21

I had this same exact problem with mine. I had to take it to the dealership like 10 times. It was my fuel pump; it always checked out fine on the diagnostic check. It would idle rough and stall sometimes. So they left it on the machine for two hours and it finally lost pressure from the fuel pump.

1999 Jeep Cherokee classic 4.0 liter from North America