2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic 2.5 turbo diesel from Portugal

Summary:

Robust and good looking!

Since I own it, it had the Inter-cooler tubes replaced (Filled with oil).

The rear brake pads were changed also as they were locking the weals as soon as I pushed the brake pedal.

General Comments:

Since I'm able to drive that I wanted to have one of this Jeeps. I remember to saw them brand new on the streets.

Now I had the opportunity to buy one and I'm very pleased with it.

The manual gear is very smooth and precise.

The Diesel engine is very power-full and the torque (290 NM) is good.

If you are aiming for a fast SUV, forget it, this is strength but not fast.

In all road is very good and it handles very well.

In Portugal this model has an advantage over the Grand Cherokee, as it pays less toll on Highways.

Fuel consumption is not bad, having 9l/100Km in city traffic.

Review Date: 25th March, 2008

2000 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 6 cylinder 4.0L from North America

Summary:

Is it safe?

Wow, too many comments, I should have read this web page before buying the Jeep.

The Jeep was great, no problems then 5 months later it started missing some fluid. This happened two or three times. Then I got stuck in traffic, the Jeep overheated so fast it was crazy. I pulled it over right away, but the head gasket was gone. Anyway, 1500 dollars later cause I live on Maui, my Jeep is back. I just found out the radiator is leaking from the plastic cone that comes off the box where the cap is located. Crazy, what purpose does this cone have? It looks as if there is a screw out piece in the end, can that be replaced or should I just seal the whole damn thing up? Or do I need a new radiator?

Well, now I came home yesterday and the front end started shaking a bit, looks like some more money out of my pocket. I should have got a Chev.

General Comments:

If I fix these couple problems, will the car last or should I just get rid of it and buy something else?

Review Date: 9th February, 2008

10th Feb 2008, 06:29

Get your mechanic to identify the source of the leakage and fix it. Then continue to use your jeep.

2000 Jeep Cherokee Grand Laredo from North America

Summary:

It's a lemon, period

Well, as I type this my car is in getting the infamous Drivers Side door lock fixed. And they are saying it's NOT the actuator, but some clip? And a whopping $320.00 fix which is why I'm on here to read up on other peoples experiences. We have already replaced the actuator in the Passenger side, and were able to do that MUCH cheaper because we could get the door open. This time the Drivers side door locked, and we could not get it open manually, with the remote door lock opener, OR with the keys from outside. So we were FORCED to take it to the dealership, which I try to avoid at ALL costs due to the jacked up prices.

I loved my jeep up until about 2 years ago, when all reliability went out the window. I think it's a bit ridiculous to have that at like 75,000 miles. It's been properly maintained with EVERY recommended oil change, and service being done to it. So all these issues are just beyond ridiculous.

We too have had the numerous issues with the tail lights. Replace bulbs, check for shorts etc... thought we had it working again, only to be pulled over AGAIN! Thank GOD my husband is a police officer, and so I've managed to not be ticketed as a courtesy. Every time I've thought it was fixed again, only to find out at very INCONVENIENT times (like when being pulled over) that they've been out again.

We also had an issue with our Drivers Seat breaking. My husband got it fixed the first time, but it recently popped again, so now for safety reasons we have to look for a whole replacement seat. And no, we are not obese people, there is NO reason for this.

We ALSO have had issues with the spring or whatever mechanism is in the tail gate that lifts it. It simply does NOT lift anymore. I cannot tell you how many times I've hit my head on that dang thing moving quickly to put groceries in or something, and not realizing that the hatch did not lift all the way up.

I had always heard Jeeps were great up until 100,000 miles then they fell apart, but I didn't believe. I do now. And as much as I love the look and size of my jeep. All the issues we have had, are just beyond ridiculous and we will NEVER own one again. Unfortunately with the economy right now we cannot take on a car payment, and this is paid for so we are stuck for now with this lemon. And I'm VERY unhappy about it.

Anyone reading this, and considering getting a jeep. Seriously unless you have a LOT of extra disposable money that you don't mind paying out on stupid fixes, DON'T DO IT!

Wish I had researched more before picking this out.

Review Date: 7th February, 2008

7th Feb 2008, 16:01

My Jeep has 138,000 miles on it, and has been extremely reliable.

In fact over the last 14 months I've spent zero on repairs.

Not bad for a 13 year old vehicle.