2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 8 cylinder from North America

Summary:

Would never buy a Jeep again

Had rotors, pads replaced 3 times, calipers once at 40,000 miles.

Passenger window motor died, 2 weeks later drivers door window died.

Now the malfunction light is on and they will not give me an inspection until I spend $100 to find out why the light is on.

I thought my Ford Explorer was a lemon with its tran problems that started at 16,000 miles (3 transmissions), but this Jeep is becoming a very expensive problem.

General Comments:

Time to look for a Honda or Toyota. They stand behind their vehicles and have better warranties. No wonder US car manufacturers are in trouble.

Review Date: 18th May, 2009

18th May 2009, 09:21

Yes, and on this same site you'll find people complaining about their Hondas & Toyotas, also grumbling that those companies need to "stand behind" their products.

The grass is always...

18th May 2009, 16:41

My 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee is running fine after 16 years and 150K miles! I had to do some mid-size repairs (leaking gaskets, water pump) between 75,000 and 100,000 miles. Jeeps tend to run great (like mine) or have problems (like this person's 2001).

This hit-and-miss quality makes me think twice about buying the awesome new 2011 Grand Cherokee (assuming the bankruptcy goes okay). I also have a Lexus IS 350 and it's quality is quite impressive, hence a Lexus GX may replace my '93 Jeep.

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 from North America

Summary:

Perfect balance of size and performance

The only problems I have had is the drivers side window would not go up at about 114,000 miles. It was easily fixed by an independent service shop.

General Comments:

Car runs well, and I have always had good service from Jeep 4 wheel drives.

The car handles well on the highway, and is easy to park in town, and maneuvers well on the ranch.

I hope to drive this car another year or two, and then buy another Cherokee.

Review Date: 7th April, 2009

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 from North America

Summary:

Good vehicle for the price I paid ($24,500)

The first issue I had was at 10,000 M. The front rotors began to shudder and were "repaired" under warranty with an recall notice.

We move on to 18,000M when once again we feel the shudder. The dealer from whom we purchased the Jeep resurfaced the rotors, at no charge this time, even though we were out of the 12,000M limitation. A star for them. I believe the Service Manager felt sorry for us or guilty since they were previously replaced with a RECALL NOTICE with upgrades, a super-duper never have trouble again factory solution to the problem.

Since then I have replaced rotors at my expense 3 times, and had them turned free once for an average life of 15000M. I found a shop where they charge more for what they do (not dealer service prices mind you), but they stand behind what they do and are friendly and take of the customer's needs (me). I bought the last set of rotors in 2006.

The second problem I had was with the headlights. The plastic turn yellow from the heat over time. I waited 2 years to replace them only because of the price. The dealer price was $800 for the pair. I didn't fair much better at NAPA, ($120 less). So I come to the end of the search one day on Ebay and bought a new PAIR for $96 with $10 shipping.

The problem I have now is the drivers seat is broken as I have seen others describe in reviews. I am going to investigate the repair hoping it will be as easy as I've read in the reviews.

The cloth upholstery is lacking in endurance, but I can live with that.

General Comments:

My wife had always wanted a Jeep SUV. I bought this one for her since she and my daughter used it as the primary transportation. She is still happy overall, as am I.

The engine and transmission have been no trouble. I perform as much of the maintenance as I can in regularly scheduled intervals.

The ride is okay for an SUV (I am a truck person).

The performance is good for a heavy vehicle with a six cylinder, low end primarily. Cruising at interstate speeds 60-70mph suits the Jeep well, however the 40-55mph range especially on 2-lanes provides extra work on the transmission. With a set of Michelin tires, I have the best handling I've experienced since we owned it.

Review Date: 4th April, 2009