2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L from North America

Summary:

Reliable and comfortable

Trunk doesn't ever lock for some reason, neither does the glass on it (which opens separately with a button on the trunk latch).

Thermostat (replaced).

Very small oil leak that I haven't found the source of. Doesn't even leak enough to notice a difference on the dipstick between oil changes though.

General Comments:

I used this website to look at reviews on this before getting one. There were a lot of negatives and a lot of positives. It sounds like this vehicle is one of those where it can go its whole life on almost no repairs and just regular maintenance, or it will give you a lot of problems.

I got the Laredo version because most of the problems I read up on were related to the Limited models. I got the 4.0L Selec-Trac transmission combination for the fuel economy factor (averages 18-20 MPG, but on long distance trip have gotten it over 26). The 4.0L is great, doesn't seem to lack power like others claim, but I am not a speed demon.

I haven't taken it off road yet to see how the 4WD does, but I have put it in all gears and they all work.

Car seat fits nicely in the center of the back seat. Trunk space is good for what we need.

Interior is nice and comfortable, and looks newer than that of a 13 year old vehicle.

I am happy with my purchase. I have only gone about 4k miles, but for a vehicle with as many miles as it has, this is holding up very nicely and I trust it to take me anywhere.

Review Date: 26th May, 2014

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 from North America

Summary:

Very dependable

Window regulator, axle pinion seal leaks, front speakers have been replaced.

Transmission leaks some.

General Comments:

I have owned the Jeep since new. It is very reliable, and I have just done normal maintenance.

Rides great. Still looks new. Never any issues with the brakes. Gets around 20 MPG.

I don't understand all the bad reviews. The Jeep has 210000 miles, and I'm keeping it until 300000 miles.

I have used the best oil and changed it every 4000 miles, and keep it in the garage. Does great in the snow. A car will treat you as good as you treat it.

I will always own a JEEP!

Review Date: 17th March, 2013

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.7 from North America

Summary:

Would buy an older, more reliable one

You name it...

When I first bought it @ 118,000 miles:

Tires.

Power steering pump.

Headlights (poor vision).

Hood supports.

Radio.

Had to remove the cloudy haze on my headlights.

Passenger window motor.

At 120,000 miles:

Driver's side window motor.

At 125,000 miles:

The power steering pump had to be replaced again.

At 128,500 miles:

- The heater core went, and I replaced the evaporator for good measure

- The AC blend door was also replaced.

At 129,000 miles:

I am loosing coolant still!

The oil pan is soft as hell, and in dire need of replacement.

The headlights hazed over again!

The trunk door lock still doesn't lock properly.

General Comments:

It handles well off road, and has a very comfortable ride. The V8 is pretty quick!

How many repairs is enough? I have put over $2000 into this truck that I only paid $3800 for. When will it end?

Review Date: 8th September, 2011

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo V6 from North America

Summary:

If this car is not a lemon, I don't know what is..

Both from windows power regulators (after 2 years).

Air conditioning control module (at 39k miles).

Rear axle seals (leaking at 44k miles).

Camshaft position-er (car kept stalling).

Driver mirror clamp broke, (mirror moved freely) (39k miles).

Radiator fan switch and thermostat went bad (75k miles).

Both hood struts stopped working at 50k miles.

Plastic headlamp housings totally fogged over, had to replace (80k miles).

General Comments:

Most problems started to occur right out of warranty, costing me thousands...

I am always apprehensive when I drive this vehicle, waiting for something else to fail.

Review Date: 10th December, 2010