2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 from North America

Summary:

Strong, reliable Jeep

Four O2 sensors, which I think had a right to go out at 108,000 miles.

Two window regulators, which we all know were weak from the factory. Replaced myself at 99 dollars per regulator and an hour of my time.

Wiring coating eroded on the neutral safety switch on the tranny, which shorted out, and my blower motor and turn signals would not function - cheap fix.

General Comments:

Could not be happier with my Jeep; very dependable.

Love the Selec-Trac transfer case.

The straight six is bullet proof; best engine Jeep has ever made.

Seats are wonderful, looks great, get lots of complements.

Never had problems with the front rotors.

I'm the second owner. Have all the maintenance records from the 1st owner; fluids and such, but nothing major. Maybe I got a good one. I've read so much bad on this year of the GC, but I love my Jeep and the things it will do here in Colorado, it's a keeper.

Review Date: 21st June, 2018

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L from North America

Summary:

Reliable and comfortable

Trunk doesn't ever lock for some reason, neither does the glass on it (which opens separately with a button on the trunk latch).

Thermostat (replaced).

Very small oil leak that I haven't found the source of. Doesn't even leak enough to notice a difference on the dipstick between oil changes though.

General Comments:

I used this website to look at reviews on this before getting one. There were a lot of negatives and a lot of positives. It sounds like this vehicle is one of those where it can go its whole life on almost no repairs and just regular maintenance, or it will give you a lot of problems.

I got the Laredo version because most of the problems I read up on were related to the Limited models. I got the 4.0L Selec-Trac transmission combination for the fuel economy factor (averages 18-20 MPG, but on long distance trip have gotten it over 26). The 4.0L is great, doesn't seem to lack power like others claim, but I am not a speed demon.

I haven't taken it off road yet to see how the 4WD does, but I have put it in all gears and they all work.

Car seat fits nicely in the center of the back seat. Trunk space is good for what we need.

Interior is nice and comfortable, and looks newer than that of a 13 year old vehicle.

I am happy with my purchase. I have only gone about 4k miles, but for a vehicle with as many miles as it has, this is holding up very nicely and I trust it to take me anywhere.

Review Date: 26th May, 2014

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 from North America

Summary:

Very dependable

Window regulator, axle pinion seal leaks, front speakers have been replaced.

Transmission leaks some.

General Comments:

I have owned the Jeep since new. It is very reliable, and I have just done normal maintenance.

Rides great. Still looks new. Never any issues with the brakes. Gets around 20 MPG.

I don't understand all the bad reviews. The Jeep has 210000 miles, and I'm keeping it until 300000 miles.

I have used the best oil and changed it every 4000 miles, and keep it in the garage. Does great in the snow. A car will treat you as good as you treat it.

I will always own a JEEP!

Review Date: 17th March, 2013

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.7 from North America

Summary:

Would buy an older, more reliable one

You name it...

When I first bought it @ 118,000 miles:

Tires.

Power steering pump.

Headlights (poor vision).

Hood supports.

Radio.

Had to remove the cloudy haze on my headlights.

Passenger window motor.

At 120,000 miles:

Driver's side window motor.

At 125,000 miles:

The power steering pump had to be replaced again.

At 128,500 miles:

- The heater core went, and I replaced the evaporator for good measure

- The AC blend door was also replaced.

At 129,000 miles:

I am loosing coolant still!

The oil pan is soft as hell, and in dire need of replacement.

The headlights hazed over again!

The trunk door lock still doesn't lock properly.

General Comments:

It handles well off road, and has a very comfortable ride. The V8 is pretty quick!

How many repairs is enough? I have put over $2000 into this truck that I only paid $3800 for. When will it end?

Review Date: 8th September, 2011