2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee from North America

Transmission went first.

Brakes have been replaced at least 4 times with rotors. The shaking was unbearable.

Replaced radiator three times. It is partially made of plastic.

Replaced water pump.

Drivers seat has fallen apart. Fixed it temporarily with brackets & washers.

Lock problem; it makes a screeching noise! I had to turn off the automatic locks.

Steering wheel is oozing some black material in the summer. I bought a steering wheel cover so my hands are not black.

I guess I can expect the window problems shortly. The car only has 56,000 miles on it.

Did I forget to mention the engine light is always on?

Have to disconnect battery & then reconnect, drive it for about 10 miles to rest computer to get it inspected. The computer may not pass the test.

Review Date: 14th June, 2010

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 from North America

Summary:

Junk

I am having trouble with the loud grinding sound that seems to be in the center of the car; I can feel it under my feet. Just started this weekend when I was going up a slight hill incline on the street.

My brake lights have been replaced numerous times, I need new brakes.

My tail lift will not stay up.

I will never buy another Jeep. I wish I had seen this web site before I made my purchase.

Review Date: 11th May, 2010

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Straight 6 from North America

Summary:

A Jeep that is very stylish, comfortable, with a few unwanted mechanical problems

Transmission pressure sensor replaced.

Rear brake light doesn't work sometime.

Front in dash tweeter speakers always blow out.

Radiator relay fan switch replaced.

Heater core replaced.

General Comments:

I really like my Jeep, it drives very well, and has handled some rough terrain and various weather conditions.

I have taken it on many long road trips, and it is very comfortable. The interior is very comfortable and roomy.

I test drove a 2008 model, and was not happy with it at all. They took away a lot of very comfortable and nice looking features. I had a 1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo prior to this one, and it was a great Jeep.

It's a bummer it has had these problems, the most expensive being the heater core, but I'm very happy with it, and will be buying another Jeep in the future - probably a Rubicon.

Review Date: 2nd May, 2010

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 6 cylinder from North America

Summary:

Sucks!

Broken seat.

Foggy headlights.

2 sets of tail lights. I now have after market with no problem.

1 rebuilt tranny that is going out again.

2 window regulators.

Half of dash lights out.

No shifter lights.

Hatch does not work.

Heat does not work.

General Comments:

Paying 375.00 a month on this thing, ughhhhhhhhhhh, and 14 mpg.

Review Date: 20th January, 2010

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 V8 from North America

Summary:

Great 4x4 for the dough I paid

Rear axle seal went out at around 80k on the Driver's side. Not too painful at about 275 for repair.

Driver's window motor went out at about 83k. That was about 500. That hurt for a window.

General Comments:

Solid vehicle. Still runs and drives great and I plan on keeping it for many more miles. It's great in the snow, capable off road and has a decent ride.

The 4.7 V8 has been great. Good pick up and it has a good low rumble inside the cab. The interior quality is above most, and has held together well.

For the people having the rotor issue "over and over", do a little research. I have replaced the front rotors once at around 50k and have not had any wheel shake or brake issues. Do not go with the Jeep replacement rotor, apparently they are garbage.

To finish off, I have read most of these reviews here, and I'm sorry so many have had such costly problems. The other people I know with Grand Cherokee's in this age range have had good luck. They are well over 100k miles and have had minimal issues.

Review Date: 24th December, 2009