2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Reviews - Page 6 of 38

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 V6 from North America

Engine and transmission 4.0 V6 Automatic
Distance when acquired20000 miles
Previous carMazda CX-9

The only thing that has gone wrong with this Jeep is the brakes and rotors wear quicker then usual.. And it requires frequent oil changes.

General Comments:

This Jeep is great! Never had much of a problem with it. The 4 wheel drive works excellent on dirt roads or just off roading. The 4 wheel part time saves gas and is ideal for harsh weather driving.

The interior space is perfect and overall looks good. The optional sunroof is a plus.

Also the body is tough and can work after a crash. Overall it's a good car.

Review Date: 2nd November, 2009

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 from North America

Previous carSuzuki Grand Vitara

Summary:

Great powerful Jeep with plenty of comfort and style

Brake rotors and calipers at 80k for a cost of $400.

Ac/Heat blend doors had to be replaced at 85k for a cost of $800.

General Comments:

Very reliable and comfortable Jeep for long commutes and trips. Power of the 4.7 liter V8 is perfect for get up and go and for towing. Also gets good gas mileage for a V8.

The Jeep looks very nice inside and out with almost 100k, and drives great. The stereo is awesome and the interior is very comfortable. The heated leather seats are like sitting on a couch.

It is a very capable SUV, but rides and drives very nicely. All the power options and 10 way seats spoil me with convenience and comfort.

Other than regular service oil/tires etc, I have had zero problems other than the above mentioned rotors and calipers, and I consider that normal at the mileage that they needed replacement.

I also had to repair the blend doors in the AC/heat system. Was a little pricey, but hopefully it is a one time repair.

Other than that, I love my Jeep and will buy another, and I recommend it friends and family. I don't know why everyone else is having so many problems. Maybe they are not doing recommenced service.

Review Date: 20th September, 2009

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo V6 from North America

Engine and transmission V6 Automatic
Previous carFord Escort

My first car was a heavily used 1997 Ford Escort. That car never gave me any trouble whatsoever until the engine finally gave in.

That is when I bought a used GC with 94,000 miles, but a newly replaced engine. I have only had the car two years and I have had the crank sensor replaced, two bad tires, a window motor go out, electrical problems with the tail/brake lights, rotors replaced, and the oil pump pressure gauge dropping to zero for no apparent reason.

Makes me miss that ugly Ford Escort...

Review Date: 26th August, 2009

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee from North America

Year of manufacture2000
Previous carJeep Cherokee

Summary:

It's time to move on

I purchased a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee in January of 2006 to replace my 1991 JGC Laredo that was flooded due to hurricane Katrina. Clean Carfax and one owner. Loved the leather interior, working AC and heat.

My mechanic of over 25 years was back in business and my first trip was to purchase a set of tires. Well, tires, a brake job with rotors and an alignment.

The next repair was a thermostat. I had the oil changed every three months and tires rotated as well. My mechanic plugged numerous nail holes for free.

Replaced the rear tail and brake lights on the driver's side for $90. AC service $200.

The next big expense was a fuel line kit. Thanks to the extended used car warranty, the insurance picked up most of this over $600 bill. My mechanic moved to another city.

Right before last year's mandatory evacuation, the battery died - battery plus new terminals $140. My extended insurance expired in February 2009 and the fuel line kit went out again in March. Not a happy camper with this out of pocket expense.

Recently learned that the ABS sensor is going bad, and the engine light code is pointing to a switch in the transmission.

Will I drop $1000 for an ABS system or $4000 for a transmission? I don't think so. Did I mention that it is time to consider replacing brake pads again?

My old Jeep had power steering pump problems and no AC. I paid cash for it. It looks like I will be stuck with another card note, but I need reliable transportation.

General Comments:

This narrative finds me at a crossroad - the CARS program will probably lead to my replacing the Jeep with something else. I love the ride, but I cannot afford to have OEM parts failing this fast. The Jeep has less than 65,000 miles. I only travel to work, church and around town.

It handles great on these bad streets and can jump a curb. I don't need the stress of a broken vehicle and no reliable mechanic.

Review Date: 20th August, 2009

7th Oct 2011, 08:27

No reason for you to jump curbs. No wonder the poor thing's giving you problems.