2006 Jeep Liberty Reviews

Most recent year of ownership2012
Engine and transmission 3.6L V6 Automatic
Most recent distance72000 kilometres
Previous carNissan Skyline

Summary:

Simple urban transportation for uncommon cities

Nothing serious... yet. Other reviews about this car indicate that I will have an approximate 50/50 chance of something going horribly wrong, but I digress.

The only faults so far are the little amounts of transmission slip (which aren't doing anything), occasional entertainment system glitches and road noise. The vehicle is due in for a recall fix of the rear suspension, but I haven't had any problems up until recently with the vehicle's handling.

General Comments:

This was a painful downgrade from my previous car, but I figure if I'm going to live in the Canadian North, I'd better have a car that is ubiquitous, making parts cheap and readily available; that, and my Skyline had troubles running regularly. The Jeep serves its purpose as a no-frills beater, but on the plus side, it does have air conditioning and heated leather seats - the former being great for the nightless, desert summers, and the latter for those boreal winters.

I haven't had a winter in the North just yet, so I haven't had a chance to use the 4x4 functions. I don't really get up to much off-road shenanigans, so it's no big deal for me. The height and suspension of the car are adequate for the frost-heaved roads, though much of the road is felt in the cabin, often loudly. A softer setup may have reduced this, but it may have made the car more wobbly, so it's not that bad of a trade-off.

The car's engine is seriously weak: 160-ish horsepower from a 3.6L V6 and only 14 MPG? C'mon! I expect better from an engine made only six years ago. Regardless, it can still accelerate, and the brakes are capable of slowing it down, though fade is quite noticeable.

My overall opinion of the car is that it is adequate: it does its job without any coaxing or prodding, or extensive maintenance. It just works, and that's all I was really after.

Review Date: 7th August, 2012

7th Aug 2012, 19:53

I hardly consider a Jeep Liberty Limited a no frills beater (I've owned 3), and we have owned plenty of premium vehicles, including many European models, as well as a Lexus RX.

In fact, IMO the Liberty Limited is actually loaded with features and holds its own against many much more expensive SUVs. I believe it is probably still the best compact SUV value on the market.

BTW the 3.7 liter V6 engine, which was standard in all of my Liberty Limiteds (including my current 2007) puts out 210 hp and 235 lb-ft of torque, and moves about quite smartly.

As far as gas mileage, 14 seems low unless you do a great deal of stop & go driving. I average 17 or so around town & 23 on the highway - not great, but not bad for a two-ton 4x4.

Finally, if you consider the Liberty Limited no frills, I wonder what you would have considered my 3 Wranglers? :)

2006 Jeep Liberty Sport 3.7 from North America

Model year2006
Year of manufacture2005
First year of ownership2011
Most recent year of ownership2012

Summary:

Good size truck, but poor quality

Rear door won't lock properly; it has to be slammed a number of times before it closes, very annoying.

Recently had leak in the rear axle, and differential.

A/C control switch went bad. I got lucky and replaced the module behind the glove box; this fixed this problem.

(3) ABS lights on the dashboard came on, and after replacing the right rear sensor, they won't go off. Took it to my mechanic, and he traced cables from rear axle location to under the rear seats. No broken wires were found. After trying to figure out what was wrong, he gave up and suggested that I take to dealer, I know they're going to rip me off with whatever they tell me is wrong.

If I continue to have these problems, I'll get rid of it by end of the year, and will never buy another Jeep product.

General Comments:

This truck works well for me, but the mechanical issues are turning me off.

Review Date: 30th June, 2012

1st Jul 2012, 13:00

In fairness to Jeep, you purchased this vehicle with 90,000 miles on it, and you may not know the history of your Liberty prior to your purchase - even a CarFax can only tell you what was reported.

I've found them all to be very reliable, and much better than most SUV's.

In my opinion I would take a Jeep over any other 4x4 on the market; I've owned 3 Wranglers & 3 Libertys. Personally I believe the Liberty is the best compact SUV value on the market, I wouldn't trade mine for my wife's RX300 or her current Saab 9-7x. The only vehicle she had that I'd consider was her old Cherokee in its prime ;)

A RAV-4 or CR-V are just not made to take the punishment a Jeep can take, nor travel were the pavement ends. A Wrangler, Liberty & Grand Cherokee will take you anywhere in any weather.