2004 Kia Rio Reviews - Page 2 of 8

Year of manufacture2004
Distance when acquired52000 miles
Most recent distance72000 miles

Summary:

This car is the worst car

2004 Kia Rio is the worst car! My parents bought me this car in August of 2008 and it has given me nothing but problems!

I have had every single belt changed, a brand new transmission put in it, and now my motor is blown!

The car starts to shake when I hit about 60 mph.

The brakes need to be replaced all time.

The motors in the driver side window and the driver side back window do not work anymore, so I have had to replace both of those.

General Comments:

Overall, this car is a piece of crap! NEVER BUY A KIA.

Review Date: 26th March, 2010

6th Oct 2012, 20:33

It's your first car. You should have a $300 for your first car, and learn how to fix it, otherwise you never appreciate it.

13th May 2013, 17:19

The real problem here - "my parents bought me this car".

Year of manufacture2003

Summary:

Wouldn't trade it for anything

Had it stall in the winter before. Didn't this month though.

Went through 2 popped tires in two days.

Think the timing belt is starting to go.

General Comments:

I Love this car! It handles really well, and I'm surprised it puts out that much power for such a tiny car!

This car virtually fits anywhere. I don't mind parallel parking for once.

This car has ever rarely shown me trouble till recently. Always reliable, and I feel like I'm in control of the car, not in a huge hunk of metal.

Very good on gas! I save money at the pump paying $10 for half a tank, and I get pretty far on that.

Review Date: 2nd March, 2010

Year of manufacture2003
Engine and transmission Manual
Previous carChevrolet Astro

Summary:

Terrible

Brakes needed replacing way before 60K miles. The brake drums cannot be turned as it would thin it too much for safe driving, so it needed replacing.

The heater vent switch was replace because it would work only on 4. A few days after it was broke again.

Door latches were broken at 78K miles. Needed to buy the entire assembly as a kit.

All parts need to be purchase from a KIA dealership as there are no generic parts for the car.

Keys can only be purchased from a dealership at a price of over $40 per key, if you want extras.

Clutch bushing inside transmission needed replacing at the tune of over $400, which I never bothered. I had no play in the clutch, meaning that by letting off the clutch even for an inch engaged the transmission.

Finally my timing belt broke. Kias have what is called and "interference engine," which means at any time the timing belt breaks, the engine is shot.

I could've repaired the clutch and timing belt before all this to the tune of $800, but decided against it as I wanted to get rid of the thing before it died on me. I was too late.

General Comments:

Riding this car on the freeway feels like riding a cardboard box on wheels. If feels as if the engine is straining any time you go over 60 mph.

Front wheel suspension feels awful. Going over rough road feels like someone is dribbling a basket ball upfront, but it feels that the basket ball are your tires.

The car is extremely cheap and it feels it.

Resale value is horrible.

I don't recommend this car to my worst enemy!

Review Date: 30th September, 2009

5th Nov 2009, 18:03

I had a 2004 Kia Rio wagon. I bought it new and it was the worst car I ever owned. I had to replace the 02 sensor at like 20,000 kms, and the computer went. It was horrible on gas and always stunk like rotten eggs. I was so glad to get rid of that thing!! I now have a Pontiac Grand Am.

Year of manufacture2004
Engine and transmission Don't Know
Previous carFord Escort

So far, I've spent about 1000 on it...

Everyone has told me my Timing belt should be covered by the warranty. But Grand Auto tells me it's not covered... so as far as I'm concerned the warranty sucks as it covers nothing... and is bogus to boot...

I won't buy a Kia again... or a new car anymore either..

Review Date: 3rd October, 2008

9th Oct 2008, 18:48

Timing belt is considered maintenance. The warranty doesn't cover oil changes or brakes either.

22nd Jun 2009, 17:35

When I had a 2004 Rio it was a great car. Got 41 mpg @ 100 kph. Rear brake cylinders were found to leaking a little by the Dealer at its first scheduled service, changed under warranty. At 49000 km timing belt broke, bent all the valves. This was also repaired under warranty. That was the last time I had any trouble with it. Traded in at 155,000 km for 2009 Kia Spectra 5.