1996 Land Rover Discovery SE7 4.0L Gasoline from North America

Summary:

BEST VALUE for its INTENDED use (i.e. Caveat Emptor, suburbanites!)

Leaks like a sieve - No worries.

ALL electronics work intermittently.

The original stereo is bland and uninspired.

General Comments:

I bought this SUV for work in the Oilsands.

The Oilsands destroy GM, Toyota, and Nissan trucks. It was either a $70000 Ford Superduty or a $5000 Discovery II.

...the fuel economy is indeed tragic, unless you work in the Oil Industry ;)

Naturally, all the electronics have a typically British charm - sometimes they work. Sometimes mystery screws or plastic fascia appear on the floor. Occasionally the engine sounds like it might die. It does not.

Most comfortable ride driving in a mine or lease. Only the GMC Yukon comes close, and it's about 3x the price and has 2/3 of the life expectancy of a 'broken in' Discovery.

...If you have to pay for fuel, think long and hard.

...If you bought it new, you have my sympathies.

I also own an extremely reliable, well appointed, comfortable, (reasonably) powered Japanese sedan.

Guess which one is for sale.

Review Date: 8th July, 2008

1996 Land Rover Discovery SE from North America

Summary:

Wit the brush bar and lights, it's a classic

Just the normal maintenance issues.

I did install a new harmonic balancer at 90,000.

General Comments:

I've always maintained the car, oil changes, premium gas, added Bilstein shocks.

Find anybody, but a Landrover dealer to help you keep the car in top shape. Somethings you can google and do yourself for a fraction of the price.

This car is going to be retired to be our beach car. Even in 2008 people comment to me they love the look of it..

Review Date: 22nd January, 2008

1996 Land Rover Discovery 3.9 V8 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

I love it and hate it at the same time

Tail shaft rubber ripped the day before a big trip; was cheap and easy to repair.

Blew a coolant hose; easy to repair.

Had an erratic idle, and stalled on idle; it was a dirty throttle body.

Hazard lights illuminate on hitting hard bumps, and won't go off till the immobiliser is reset.

Squeaks n rattles all round.

Steering had a lot of play; turned out worn sway bar bushes.

Oil leaks everywhere.

General Comments:

I hate this car so much, but I love it and can't bring myself to sell it.

It has been OK reliability wise; it gets me from A TO CLOSE TO B; normally within walking distance of B.

It's the most comfortable car to drive I have owned.

This is my second disco; my first one has gone to Land Rover heaven after an accident.

I have had this one airborne, on the beach, on the dirt, and on rocks. It performs really well on all terrain.

Review Date: 12th December, 2007

1996 Land Rover Discovery FXi 3.9 from United Arab Emirates

Summary:

I am crazy, but I love my Disco

- Starter motor replaced.

- All wheel bearings replaced.

- Front right axle replaced.

- Steering gear need repair or replacement.

- Engines goes off when idle. I suspect injector problems as I have already changed all spark plugs.

- Remote control works intermittently.

- Water hose, thermostat and elbow replaced. Radiators cleaned, but still coolant leak; I have to add it every morning.

- Changed brake pad, but brake not fully reliable.

- Still there is engine oil leak, power steering fluid leak, coolant leak.

- Also changed stabilizer and suspension bush, but still noise is there.

General Comments:

I took the car to the desert one time and its performance was amazing. So I like the shape of this car, its powerfulness, but it may bankrupt me in a short time.

This car needs constant maintenance as every morning there is something going wrong. Compatible parts are available and inexpensive. But it is consuming too much time.

Anyway, I love it and I will do whatever I can to keep it running all time.

Review Date: 27th October, 2007

12th Dec 2007, 00:22

I have a 96 disco. It had a stall at idle or erratic idle on starting. It needed a throttle cleaning. This fixed the problem and was very cheap.

22nd Mar 2009, 03:27

How much did all that repair cost exactly??

14th Apr 2009, 06:08

I have a 96 Disco, changed the engine and gear box and it's giving 3.5mg.. but I absolutely love driving the DISCO BUS!!