1996 Land Rover Discovery SD 4.0 from North America

Summary:

Great little truck

Catalytic converter replaced due to rattle.

Wheel bearing went bad.

Wheel/brake sensor issues

SRS light on

ABS light on

Rear window switches work intermittently.

General Comments:

Nice reliable truck. Runs strong and is very reliable, last 4 summers have drove it from Florida to Colorado, a 2000 mile trek each way. Never an issue, just put air in the tires, or air out of the tires (depending which way I was going), gas in the tank... which can be an issue.

For a "weak" 8 cylinder 4 liter engine it gets only 17 miles to gallon. I wish it had more power when driving up long hills. For the mileage I sometimes think I could get a true 5 liter engine with some bigger balls.

Interior is nice (leather) and sitting up high on the road is a plus. Seats could be better designed to be a little more comfortable... but I guess it is a truck. 3rd row seating has never been used, no kids, would rather have the storage. But a cool feature Looking to buy a new truck... maybe a 2001-2 Discovery?

Review Date: 8th September, 2007

1996 Land Rover Discovery TDI 2.5 turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

It does what it says in the brochure - very well

Dashboard warped - Dealer recall. The replacement is fine.

Engine cuts out approx every 500 miles due to sticking fuel cut off solenoid - sorted by applying 12 volts on solenoid terminal - I just live with it.

Bumper rust, Blistering paintwork below rear door catch strikers.

Leaky 'alpine' Windows (wet rear loudspeakers)

General Comments:

Towing ability is excellent. It pulled a 2-ton boat on 2000-mile trip UK to Spain and back twice without problems. Performance launching & retrieving boats on sand, pebbles and slippery concrete is unbeaten by anything other than a tractor.

I have 100% confidence in its off road performance. It feels secure and in control.

The boats and caravans have long since gone, but I cannot face selling the disco. Normal road driving is very comfortable for driver and passengers. Front and side visibility is excellent, but the rear view is slightly obscured by the spare wheel.

Perfect for touring holidays and days out with family and friends, No problems with day-to-day use. On average, I get around 28-30 miles per gallon and servicing costs are reasonable from our local garage. No major shocks to the wallet at MOT time.

I have done 70,000 + miles and I am due for my second set of tyres, have replaced the brake pads three times and the front discs once, and have replaced the battery twice. Other than normal servicing replacements that is all. I have not experienced the reliability problems other seem to have. Despite problems with fuel solenoid valve I have never needed roadside assistance.

Review Date: 18th February, 2006

13th Dec 2006, 17:12

Thanks for the help!! Very useful information. Tim.

1996 Land Rover Discovery SE 4.0 liter from North America

Summary:

The Discovery is the best vehicle for the money

Nothing has went wrong with the my Discovery. I don't care what JD Power Associates said about the Discovery, it's apparent that they don't know a great vehicle when they see one.

General Comments:

I love my Discovery, it's is a great and solid 4x4. Way more solid than Jeep and other 4x4's.

It is a tall vehicle, which is great because I love the headspace.

People complain because it doesn't carry cargo. HELLO, IT'S AN OFF ROAD VEHICLE, THINK PEOPLE, THINK!

The Land Rover is the best 4x4 for the money and always will be regardless of what J. D Power says.

Review Date: 17th January, 2006

1996 Land Rover Discovery 300tdi from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Extremely versatile, value for money

ABS Warning light remained on. By checking Land Rover forum I found it to be a faulty contactor and replaced it $25.

Rear door lock works intermittently.

Passenger door lock works intermittently.

Headlining sags.

Air cond. Cluth solenoid faulty.

General Comments:

My disco has some faults I grant you. But so does every other 11 year old vehicle I have owned.

It also has some very redeeming points as well.

It can carry almost anything I have loaded in including ovens and camping gear and up to seven people.

It is built like a tank and goes anywhere in comfort and style. Anywhere it can't go is not worth going. It has coil springs an beats many Japanese 4wds hands down in comfort. It comes standard with a centre lock diff. See if Toyota will give you that for free.

It has an aluminium body and is very resistant to corrosion. So many Toyotas are going around with rust repairs from days at the beach.

It is sensationally economical to run on deisel. 11 litres per 100km. The same as my 2 litre Hyundai Elantra!!!

It has a list of standard extras as long as your arm. ABS, air bags, alloy wheels, central locking, alarm,electric windows, etc etc.

I have heard so many people say they are expensive to repair and unreliable. Don't kid yourself into believing that a Land Cruiser or Patrol is any cheaper they all bite. They all need repairs. My Disco has never been stuck and never had a day off yet. We take it everywhere from snow to beach to sand to hauling timber and I never even have to change tyre pressure. It is singularly the most versatile vehicle I have ever owned.

I can't wait to go away in it again.

Review Date: 31st October, 2005

5th Feb 2007, 04:14

Thirsty...YES!

Underpowered...YES!

Comfortable..YES again!!

Great fun and very capable off-road, and now it's got some Goodrich A/T's on instead of highway tyres I may go even that little bit further!!! Minor prob's with mine also include the ABS light staying on, so interested to see last comment regarding the forum... must go and check that out!!

After nearly 3yrs and roughly 70k's, I don't regret buying it for a minute. Looking forward to many more camping trips as well as playing in the mud!! I pity those who say they've bought a "lemon", you've missed out on a very enjoyable experience.