1999 Lexus RX 300 3.0 from North America

A very nice but fatally flawed vehicle from the beginning

The majority of the problem I encountered were the failure of the VVT sensors on both sides of the engine several times.

The major problem with the vehicle was the transmission. My particular model is all wheel drive. As always occurs with most people having problems with their cars, I searched the Internet for answers to the problems; there were an astonishing amount of problems that are similar to mine. All with transmission problems failing at various mileages, but all with the same result regardless of mileage: failure. Most of the search results were all about the failures and different causes, but not really any solutions other than replacement or rebuild, which is very costly either way. If I'd had this information, I would not have purchased this vehicle to begin with.

General Comments:

In general I was very satisfied with the vehicle's performance, comfort and amenities. Until I started having problems and researched them to find out I wasn't the only one. I think I shall do more research on future automobile purchases. I was blown away by forums that have been formed for specific manufacturer and models with so many problems.

I would advise people to research all purchases of any kind, to find out all you can before deciding on the final product.

Review Date: 1st March, 2015

1st Mar 2015, 19:05

Those Lexus RX300s were great old school SUVs. And for me the 2002 was the best year for that model. In my area of Los Angeles, there are a lot of them for sale. Prices at the dealership range from $6900-9999... private parties are cheaper, ranging from $4999-6999. But finding a clean 1 or 2 owner vehicle won't be easy. Many are on their 3rd to 6th owner with a lot of miles on them... and like any other older SUVs for sale... you will have to do your homework before you buy one. And I mean a lot of homework... because parts can be expensive. So if you can't turn a wrench or are on a strict budget... you might want to move on to an older Toyota RAV4 or a Honda CR-V, which are a lot cheaper to maintain.

1999 Lexus RX 3.0 petrol/LPG from UK and Ireland

Nothing engine wise. Exhaust, back box needed replacing for MOT.

General Comments:

This car is lovely to travel in. Luxury seating, & passengers remark at the marvelous leg room in the rear.

The only problem is, being an import, most switches are marked in Japanese, which I cannot seem to get interpreted, along with the GPS system, but I am willing to put up with that as I enjoy driving this car so much.

The dash unit is good & informative, with all dials clear & symbols, re engine etc, understandable. One small flick switch above the gear shift on the left is one I cannot find out what it does, no matter how much I try, but if anyone knows, could you let me know, as that does annoy me, but overall I love this car, & with LPG, it makes it cheap to run.

Review Date: 16th January, 2014

1999 Lexus RX 300 AWD 3.0 V6 from North America

Right now I wouldn't recommend Lexus to anyone

Had a transmission problem shifting gears between 2nd and 3rd; hesitates, then does a hard shift.

Dealer service diagnosis was to replace the whole transmission, which will cost about $5000.

General Comments:

Car's been very good so far, but problems started just recently.

Had to replace the air intake control valve, just about a month ago, because the car won't start, and it was not cheap.

Review Date: 11th February, 2011

11th Feb 2011, 13:36

Make a fuss at the Lexus dealer, my 330 tranny locked up at 250km and they fixed it (replaced the whole thing) for free.

It was 3 years old.

1999 Lexus RX 300 from North America

I got a lemon

At 28,000 miles, it started burning oil. Lexus replaced the engine at no cost.

At 100,000 miles, it had transmission problems. Lexus paid half of replacement.

At 167,000 miles, it needs new rear wheel bearings.

I have replaced the O2 sensors twice.

The check engine light is still on.

General Comments:

Believe what you hear about buying first model year of vehicles.

I love this car, barring the fact it's had too many problems for a luxury price range vehicle.

Review Date: 19th January, 2011

19th Jan 2011, 14:59

I am not a fan of Lexus/Toyota, but I found it very impressive that they were willing to chip in for half of the cost to replace your transmission at 100K miles.