1988 Lincoln Town Car 302 V8 from North America

Best car made in the 80s. Loved you then Lincoln. Now you suck

I paid $500 for this car. I drove it 11 years and it was extremely reliable. In all that time, all I did was maintenance, plus a starter, a radiator, a heater core, and a few window gear repairs. It also had a rear main seal, and an ignition switch and headlight switch. All repairs were cheap and easy, except for the heater core and RMS.

This was a well built and reliable car. It ran strong and smooth. It was the best $500 car I have ever had.

General Comments:

I love Town Cars. They are big, smooth, comfortable, well made cars. 15 miles to the gallon. Few repairs ever needed. These cars fit me.

Review Date: 21st February, 2015

27th Feb 2015, 09:55

The boxy Town Cars from the 80s were the last of the "Real Lincolns" per se. The 90's aero design Townie's also look good, but they don't have the regal look of the older more classy Lincolns from the 70s-80s.

Lincoln today doesn't know what or who they want to be anymore. Their identity has been lost for years. I personally didn't mind Lincoln catering to mobsters, Wall Street banksters, and drug dealers way back in the days. That made Lincolns cool, menacing, and legit IMO. Now they want to go after young yuppies that are all driving Beemers and other hipsterish type cars.

Although Lincoln is trying to turn itself around, it hasn't been enough, nor do they have any current cars in their lineup that are honestly exclusive or superior to any of the luxury imports. Their styling isn't helping the cause either.

1988 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series 5.0 from North America

Great car for the price, a true classic

Nothing. I bought it at a state sale for a good price with only 88,500 miles.

General Comments:

The car was very well kept.

The transmission pulls a bit strong when shifting to the 4th gear. I checked the oil level and it was short 1 quart.

Review Date: 21st January, 2009

8th Jan 2012, 00:09

If you are constantly complementing the car and giving it a high score, why would you not buy another one?

31st Oct 2012, 20:39

I guess the one he currently owns, he intends to keep for awhile.

1988 Lincoln Town Car Signature 5.0L Fuel Injected from North America

Even in the front seat, you feel like you're in the back seat of a Maybach

Car had been sitting in this old guy's garage.

The car would stall when I threw it in reverse when I had the A/C on but stopped doing that after first 100 miles driven.

DID NOT like the fact that there are NO cup holders in the car. But the ride is so smooth that if you'd put the drink on the dash board it probably wouldn't go anywhere.

At 87000 miles AMP light turned on. Thought it was alternator (car parts store said it was, and I suspected it was,) but a bundle of wires managed to get loose and make their way on the headers which burned them. Took thirty minutes to re-wire. Cost 0$

General Comments:

When you get in the car for the first time, you know you're sitting on luxury AT ITS BEST.

Running over a pothole or a speed hump in this car feels like running over a plastic bag.

Leather is INTACT (no scratches or discoloration) after 20 years.

Plenty of lights in the car (4 in the back seat alone)

The trunk is HUGE. You can fit a tall hamper in the trunk, standing up.

You can seriously fit just about anything in this trunk and have room left over for bodies.

Back seats are HUGE. I fit six friends in my back seat and there's an extra seat belt for an extra passenger in the middle front seat.

Lots of room for feet or groceries.

I don't smoke but there are three ashtrays and lighters: one in front middle and two in back seat which is probably smoker's paradise.

Car practically drives itself. Steering is light but very precise/accurate.

I've only done this to test its limits in case of an emergency, but IF you floor it, you will burn rubber. you don't need to floor it though, it's a Lincoln.

I am very light on the gas pedal and am getting 20MPG in the city. Pretty good for a 4000 pound car.

Automatic lights.

Very good cruise control (on steering wheel)

Again, the back seats are so spacious you could get freaky in the back seats and not get leg cramps.

Review Date: 23rd July, 2008

20th Apr 2011, 15:51

Outstanding auto. My uncle gave me his 1988 Signature Lincoln about 8 years ago. At the time it had 20,000 miles. Unbelievable ride, soft leather seats, padded half roof. It still has the original spare in the trunk, which has never been used. No major mechanical issues at all.

I love this car. It has a smooth ride; one would never feel even as much as a bump as you ride down the highway.

It now has only 50,000 miles. I guess I cherish it as much as he did.

29th Aug 2012, 00:47

Great review of a great car. I have a Crown Victoria of the same age with the same 5.0 engine. Great cars, you can't find a better luxury car for the money, and it's reliable as heck too.

27th Apr 2013, 23:26

These cars are amazing! I have two Grand Marquis. An '88 and an '89. I drive the '88 daily. It's got the same stainless steel lower panels as the Town Car. Turbine wheels, rear air suspension, factory towing package and the manual triangle vent windows. I even replaced the original hood ornament with a chromed American Eagle. I've christened this car the "Silver Eagle".

The ride is everything that everyone else says it is. Twin comfort lounge seats. I actually prefer the cloth. It wears better and is much more comfortable than the leather, which needs to be moisturized to keep it supple.

This car majestically floats down the road. Pure Americana, built with pride.

28th Apr 2013, 08:28

Sure you didn't mean exhaust manifolds instead of headers? Tell me you didn't put headers on this car.

28th Apr 2013, 13:42

"I actually prefer the cloth. It wears better and is much more comfortable than the leather"

I couldn't agree more. I hate leather seats, and the demise of proper velour seating in the 'luxury car' is another example of our slide into the abyss.