1988 Lincoln Town Car 302 V8 from North America

Summary:

Best car made in the 80s. Loved you then Lincoln. Now you suck

I paid $500 for this car. I drove it 11 years and it was extremely reliable. In all that time, all I did was maintenance, plus a starter, a radiator, a heater core, and a few window gear repairs. It also had a rear main seal, and an ignition switch and headlight switch. All repairs were cheap and easy, except for the heater core and RMS.

This was a well built and reliable car. It ran strong and smooth. It was the best $500 car I have ever had.

General Comments:

I love Town Cars. They are big, smooth, comfortable, well made cars. 15 miles to the gallon. Few repairs ever needed. These cars fit me.

Review Date: 21st February, 2015

27th Feb 2015, 09:55

The boxy Town Cars from the 80s were the last of the "Real Lincolns" per se. The 90's aero design Townie's also look good, but they don't have the regal look of the older more classy Lincolns from the 70s-80s.

Lincoln today doesn't know what or who they want to be anymore. Their identity has been lost for years. I personally didn't mind Lincoln catering to mobsters, Wall Street banksters, and drug dealers way back in the days. That made Lincolns cool, menacing, and legit IMO. Now they want to go after young yuppies that are all driving Beemers and other hipsterish type cars.

Although Lincoln is trying to turn itself around, it hasn't been enough, nor do they have any current cars in their lineup that are honestly exclusive or superior to any of the luxury imports. Their styling isn't helping the cause either.

27th Feb 2015, 19:46

Baby boomers I know like the new Cadillac sedans. Back seat for a family. If younger, under 30 maybe, an Escalade. You have 638 HP and a manual trans available with Cadillac. I hope the new Buick Concept Avenir becomes reality as well.

Buy an old Lincoln or look at the hot alternatives! While you are at it, get a new 2015 Corvette 2 seater for car 2. Average age 55 year old buyer. 0-60 under 4 secs. And they don't break! C5s up are outstanding vs pre 96.

28th Feb 2015, 15:24

Baby boomers like the new sedans? Under 30 an Escalade?

Well, 15 years ago in my early 20s I drove a '93 Sedan DeVille and enjoyed every minute of the 4 years I owned it, and would still choose it over any of Cadillac's sedan offerings of today.

As far as older Lincolns; I'll stick with the '96 Town Car that I have owned for the past 8 years approaching the 200,000 mile mark. It still looks and runs like new.

1st Mar 2015, 23:04

Today all the new cars look like a giant blob of cheap plastic. Give me the yank tanks of yore any day of the week!!

Class, substance, a status symbol, quality (that's up in the air), works of art, are all what these cars represented at one point in time.

New Lincolns might have the performance, and quality down, but where's the class, the style, the "You have arrived" moment?? I am still waiting for them to bring out a car that can claim that title.

2nd Mar 2015, 19:53

I still like the 638 HP manual trans Cadillac. You are also competing with import sports sedans. My father had a 88 Town Car that I hated to drive. We donated it.

1988 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series 5.0 from North America

Summary:

Great car for the price, a true classic

Nothing. I bought it at a state sale for a good price with only 88,500 miles.

General Comments:

The car was very well kept.

The transmission pulls a bit strong when shifting to the 4th gear. I checked the oil level and it was short 1 quart.

Review Date: 21st January, 2009

8th Jan 2012, 00:09

If you are constantly complementing the car and giving it a high score, why would you not buy another one?

31st Oct 2012, 20:39

I guess the one he currently owns, he intends to keep for awhile.