1988 Lincoln Town Car Reviews - Page 2 of 7

1988 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series 5.0 V8 from North America

Year of manufacture1988
Engine and transmission 5.0 V8 Automatic
Previous carFord Thunderbird

Summary:

The Gem of the 1980s is Still Elegant Today

Slight oil leak.

Passenger side rear window requires assistance to go back up.

Vacuum line seems punctured, causing a low hissing sound inside the cabin at idle.

Amounts of rust on the rear bumper, door panels, and rear underbody.

General Comments:

This car should have been called the highway car, not the town car. It really gets moving at highway speeds and feels very balanced. Around town driving is less efficient, but the handling and steering is fingertip easy. Although the car is approx. 4400 lbs, and 18 feet long, it doesn't seem so huge after driving it for a while.

I bought the vehicle from the original owners of 20 years. They were looking to trade it in in order to upgrade to a 'new' 88 TC Cartier.

I have put a lot of hard miles on this $500.00 gem and have not a single regret or worry that it will get me where I need to be.

I like this car so much in fact, I prefer driving this around over my 1998 Mark VIII LSC.

I can't wait to find one with the digital instrumentation.

Review Date: 28th June, 2008

1988 Lincoln Town Car Cartier 5.0L 302 in² gasoline from North America

Year of manufacture1987
Engine and transmission 5.0L 302 in² gasoline Automatic
Previous carn/a n/a

Summary:

A very good car to just get around in or to fix up

Lets see... Drive shaft disconnected in the front while driving. New studs, lugs and rotors for both front wheels. Gas tank leaked. Extensive tune-up required including new distributor cap and wires. None of the doors opened from the outside. Back windows didn't go down. Power steering leaked. Gear shifter off track. That's about it though there are more minor problems.

General Comments:

Very comfortable ride and handles extremely well for its size. The 5.0 Liter engine makes this car a beast in the road. I just hit 91 mph in it for the first time. That's a major task for a 4,000 lb. car. Never has failed to start up. Very stylish, it lights up the road when it comes through. Has an amazing stock speaker set up for an 88. Even though problems have happened with the car I drive it everyday.

Review Date: 28th October, 2007

28th Oct 2007, 17:56

With 5 litres I would assume around 300bhp? Should be able to do more than 91mph.

29th Oct 2007, 07:51

Oh my God, only 91mph out of a 5.0? What happened to all the power? I'd expect 91mph out of a 1.2 over here in the UK! I had 101mph out of my 1984 Volvo 340 1.4!

1988 Lincoln Town Car Base 5.0L V8 from North America

Year of manufacture1988
Engine and transmission 5.0L V8 Automatic
Previous carSubaru Impreza

Summary:

Big Bad Boat-mobile-YUCK!

Not very much.

Brakes started to drag and it caught fire (it was contained in the rim)

General Comments:

The Lincoln Town Car is not a very good car and it never was. The leather seats aren't of very high quality and they're stitched with steel. The incredibly dated 5.0L V8 only puts out 150HP, and the widely geared four speed auto doesn't help (slow, like old people). The steering is very numb and it lacks any road feel at all. It's also incredibly light to the touch. The wood dash trim is made of metal and the nasty blue plastic warps and cracks. The glove box is also notorious for warping as well. Don't expect a controlled ride, as the beast wallows and floats over bumps and can be quite jarring over pavement expansions. Overall I don't like this car at all. The only reason I said that I'd buy another car from this manufacture is because of the all new MKZ, MKX, Mark LT, and the Navigator. This isn't even my car, but trust me, I've driven it quite a lot. By the way, the piece of junk is also a total gas hog. If you want a great Lincoln sedan, PLEASE just save yourself from humiliation and get a quality Lincoln MKZ!

Review Date: 20th October, 2007

22nd Oct 2007, 11:05

The 302 wasn't all THAT 'dated' in 1988.. sure it might be now, but that's 19 years ago.

Anyway, dated is a postitive characteristic in my automotive book, since most 'advances' over the last 10-20 years have been towards greater complexity, and less durability. Nothing I like better than an all cast-iron push-rod engine, but then again I also like boats, wallowing, etc.