1988 Lincoln Town Car Signature 5.0L Fuel Injected from North America

Summary:

Even in the front seat, you feel like you're in the back seat of a Maybach

Car had been sitting in this old guy's garage.

The car would stall when I threw it in reverse when I had the A/C on but stopped doing that after first 100 miles driven.

DID NOT like the fact that there are NO cup holders in the car. But the ride is so smooth that if you'd put the drink on the dash board it probably wouldn't go anywhere.

At 87000 miles AMP light turned on. Thought it was alternator (car parts store said it was, and I suspected it was,) but a bundle of wires managed to get loose and make their way on the headers which burned them. Took thirty minutes to re-wire. Cost 0$

General Comments:

When you get in the car for the first time, you know you're sitting on luxury AT ITS BEST.

Running over a pothole or a speed hump in this car feels like running over a plastic bag.

Leather is INTACT (no scratches or discoloration) after 20 years.

Plenty of lights in the car (4 in the back seat alone)

The trunk is HUGE. You can fit a tall hamper in the trunk, standing up.

You can seriously fit just about anything in this trunk and have room left over for bodies.

Back seats are HUGE. I fit six friends in my back seat and there's an extra seat belt for an extra passenger in the middle front seat.

Lots of room for feet or groceries.

I don't smoke but there are three ashtrays and lighters: one in front middle and two in back seat which is probably smoker's paradise.

Car practically drives itself. Steering is light but very precise/accurate.

I've only done this to test its limits in case of an emergency, but IF you floor it, you will burn rubber. you don't need to floor it though, it's a Lincoln.

I am very light on the gas pedal and am getting 20MPG in the city. Pretty good for a 4000 pound car.

Automatic lights.

Very good cruise control (on steering wheel)

Again, the back seats are so spacious you could get freaky in the back seats and not get leg cramps.

Review Date: 23rd July, 2008

20th Apr 2011, 15:51

Outstanding auto. My uncle gave me his 1988 Signature Lincoln about 8 years ago. At the time it had 20,000 miles. Unbelievable ride, soft leather seats, padded half roof. It still has the original spare in the trunk, which has never been used. No major mechanical issues at all.

I love this car. It has a smooth ride; one would never feel even as much as a bump as you ride down the highway.

It now has only 50,000 miles. I guess I cherish it as much as he did.

29th Aug 2012, 00:47

Great review of a great car. I have a Crown Victoria of the same age with the same 5.0 engine. Great cars, you can't find a better luxury car for the money, and it's reliable as heck too.

27th Apr 2013, 23:26

These cars are amazing! I have two Grand Marquis. An '88 and an '89. I drive the '88 daily. It's got the same stainless steel lower panels as the Town Car. Turbine wheels, rear air suspension, factory towing package and the manual triangle vent windows. I even replaced the original hood ornament with a chromed American Eagle. I've christened this car the "Silver Eagle".

The ride is everything that everyone else says it is. Twin comfort lounge seats. I actually prefer the cloth. It wears better and is much more comfortable than the leather, which needs to be moisturized to keep it supple.

This car majestically floats down the road. Pure Americana, built with pride.

28th Apr 2013, 08:28

Sure you didn't mean exhaust manifolds instead of headers? Tell me you didn't put headers on this car.

28th Apr 2013, 13:42

"I actually prefer the cloth. It wears better and is much more comfortable than the leather"

I couldn't agree more. I hate leather seats, and the demise of proper velour seating in the 'luxury car' is another example of our slide into the abyss.

1988 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series 5.0 V8 from North America

Summary:

The Gem of the 1980s is Still Elegant Today

Slight oil leak.

Passenger side rear window requires assistance to go back up.

Vacuum line seems punctured, causing a low hissing sound inside the cabin at idle.

Amounts of rust on the rear bumper, door panels, and rear underbody.

General Comments:

This car should have been called the highway car, not the town car. It really gets moving at highway speeds and feels very balanced. Around town driving is less efficient, but the handling and steering is fingertip easy. Although the car is approx. 4400 lbs, and 18 feet long, it doesn't seem so huge after driving it for a while.

I bought the vehicle from the original owners of 20 years. They were looking to trade it in in order to upgrade to a 'new' 88 TC Cartier.

I have put a lot of hard miles on this $500.00 gem and have not a single regret or worry that it will get me where I need to be.

I like this car so much in fact, I prefer driving this around over my 1998 Mark VIII LSC.

I can't wait to find one with the digital instrumentation.

Review Date: 28th June, 2008