14th May 2018, 01:47

I did a car event last year at Winterthur which celebrated different eras of motorcars. One car there that was an absolute standout was a mid 50s mint original Mark I. The car carried a very hefty price tag new. I would say that was one of most beautiful and elegant domestic cars I have ever seen. My family had an early 60s Lincoln suicide door convertible; one I wish was kept. The Mark I was the very first I ever saw in person. Lincoln’s version of the 55-57 T Bird.

14th May 2018, 20:37

Actually it was a Mark II, not a Mark I. Produced only in 1956-57, it was hardly related to the much smaller two-seater Thunderbird.

14th May 2018, 22:45

"Mark I" ?? No such vehicle. You're probably thinking of the Continental Mark II, built only 1956-1957. Also I wouldn't say that it was Lincoln's version of the '56-'57 Thunderbird because it was not a 2 seater.

15th May 2018, 00:40

The Batmobile that was used in the TV series was a 1955 Lincoln Futura concept Carl. Just an interesting piece of trivia. And I saw a replica Cord convertible kit made out of a later era Lincoln. Its hood so heavy that it had a powered hood lift. Far removed from the production ones you recognize. Kind of cool trivia though.

15th May 2018, 08:15

"The Mark II sold for $10,400, the equivalent of a new Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud or two Cadillacs (at least until the $13,074 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham out-priced it in 1957). In spite of this, Ford estimated they still lost over a thousand dollars per car on the 3,000 that were built." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_Mark_II#Sales

If you see one, you definitely see a lot of the 55-57 TBird styling in it, even if not a 2 seater or removable top. I cannot see anyone disliking the styling of this one, but to each his own.

15th May 2018, 16:48

"'Mark I'? No such vehicle."

Actually, there was although it was not called Mark I at the time, it was made from 1939-1948, just the Continental Mark. It is the reason that the 1956-1957 version was called Mark II. The subsequent Mark III/IV/V produced from 1958-1960 were such dogs that Lincoln wanted everyone to forget they were ever built. So when the Continental Mark series was revived for 1969, it was called the Mark III, instead of Mark VI.

15th May 2018, 21:34

Actually, that was my point; never being any Mark series Lincoln using the Roman Numeral "I". And correcting comment 1:47 that the years 1956-57 were indeed a Continental Mark II (not Mark I). Though the name "Continental" seemed to always bring confusion, being used on a lot of models including early Town Cars. The Continental finally became its own model in 1982.

16th May 2018, 10:43

First one I ever saw. Thanks for heads up. Most beautiful Lincoln I have ever seen. Even the inside of the doors when opened were chrome. Lot of attention to detail. Meticulous restoration. Can’t get over the price when new after pulling this up. The Mark II sold for $10,400, the equivalent of a new Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud or two Cadillacs (at least until the $13,074 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham out-priced it in 1957). In spite of this, Ford estimated they still lost over a thousand dollars per car on the 3,000 that were built.