1990 Mazda 323 Astina 1.8 DOHC from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

A great little car that feels like it will go forever

High beam switch needed overhaul. Much cheaper than buying a new unit.

Nothing else.

General Comments:

The longer I have it the more and more I like it. It has surprising performance.

Towing a trailer is a breeze. Far easier than my old VK Commodore.

The steering wheel could lift a little higher, my thighs have to squeeze between the seat and the wheel.

The sound system sounds fine to me although the radio has some odd moments such as staying on the same station and refusing to change. But I can live with that.

Review Date: 2nd November, 2007

1990 Mazda 323 1.5 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Cool little car to keep you on the go!

Nothing - aside from mandatory tire replacement when the tread was worn.

General Comments:

The 323 is an awesome little machine! Low maintenance - just keep them oiled and watered, and they're great.

My model is not fitted with all the mod cons - electric windows/central locking etc, which is perhaps why it's so low maintenance - only a speck of rust (about the size of a small coin) here and there, starts first time every time, and although I have another car now, I still have it because I can't bring myself to part with it.

Review Date: 6th September, 2007

1990 Mazda 323 Hatchback BG3S 1.3 Carb from Sri Lanka

Summary:

Its budget dream car..

My Car has a vacuum type AC Idle up which gives problems in doing what its supposed to do. Agents in my locality are not much of a help as they do only Fuel Injection type engines and have no clue when it comes to an advanced Carburettor engine like this :) So till I can find somebody who knows what he is doing, that problem does not bother me that much except for the fact that it burns a bit more fuel than normal.

Radiator was replaced prior to me buying this car as the plastic head has blown due to the heat. Now I'm using a locally made full copper radiator which keeps the engine as cool as can be. It has never gone above half way on the gauge ever since.

Had to replace the CV's twice since I bought it due to the rubber boots going bad. But its totally my ignorance. So can't blame the car...

AC Compressor deteriorated with time & cost me only $35 to replace with second hand. Works perfectly ever since. Recently fixed a leak in the cooling unit & recharged the Refrigerant. Works like a new car. Even in 34C weather it works just fine.

Little bit of rattling noises from the upholstery & front suspension. But they are negligible considering the age of the car. Nothing my very loud Pioneer MP3 player can't fix.

Passenger seat belt gets stuck sometimes. Not a bother at all, cos nobody goes in this car, but myself.

General Comments:

Very fuel efficient even with a slight problem in tuning.

Good for a daily runabout.

Very comfortable seating position, but not that good for long distance.

Really fun to drive, very responsive power steering, Soft clutch, no transmission problems at all.

As it was built in 1990, its 16 years old now, but still looks, sounds & feels like straight out of the showroom. This is the best car I have ever owned.

Very practical too for a country like mine.

It does close to 9.5Km per litre of 95 Octane fuel & 8Km per litre on 90 Octane.

Review Date: 14th August, 2006

1990 Mazda 323 GTX 1.8 DOHC turbo from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Great handling and performance

Alternator.

Gearbox (previous owner)

General Comments:

Excellent performance & handling heaps of torque for a 1800, turbo kicks in early.

Good on petrol.

Really fun to drive on tight twisting roads.

Quite stiff suspension and Awd makes for great handling, ABS brakes.

Gearboxs are quite weak and won't take much abuse. e.g. dropping the clutch, but if you look after them your fine.

This car was a Japanese import.

Review Date: 1st September, 2005