1990 Mazda 323 LX 1.6 litre from North America

Summary:

Overall very good so far..

Waterpump leaking when purchased.

Replaced timing belt and idler pulley unnecessarily.

Replaced alternator belt and power steering belt.

Replaced all rad hoses and thermostat and rad cap.

Seems to be a oil leak somewhere on the valve cover or the head gasket which runs onto the exhaust. Not too bad, but more of an annoyance. Can some one help me to learn the origins of this oil leak... Is it a common problem on this engine design. Thank you.

Also is the alternator overheating. Seems to be running hot. Comments?

General Comments:

Only have owned the car for about a month. I have done all the repairs myself which were fairly easy and straight forward. Price of parts was reasonable compared to other vehicles I have owned.

I bought the car for my girlfriend. My main concern is for reliability, and it seems to be fitting the bill so far.

ml2581@hotmail.com

Review Date: 26th January, 2005

1990 Mazda 323 GTX 1.8 turbo petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

A high performance affordable car

Rear brake calipers need replacing, always leaking. Although I've been told this is common.

Alternator has been overhauled twice.

Steel cooling pipe sprung a leak due to corrison.

Plastic sill that runs down side of windscreen became brittle and broke off.

Replaced clutch once and in the process of replacing it again, but with a semi button this time.

General Comments:

Great fun in this car!

Most things that have gone wrong are general wear and tear.

Seats are comfy and sporty looking.

Handles well.

Is surprisingly fast for a 1.8 turbo car.

This car is my baby, I love it to bits.

Review Date: 31st May, 2004

1990 Mazda 323 LX 1.6i from Croatia

Summary:

Fast family sedan combined with a sports car

Nothing.

General Comments:

The car is great. Family sedan and a sporty little beast.

It handles great. You really have to do something stupid to loose control. With good tires it handles good on snow too.

Engine is the best part of the car. Likes to rev, it pulls from 2000rpm all the way to 7000 rpm stronger and stronger.

The cabin is great, the plastic is high quality and looks like new even after 13 years.

Seats are also like new, very comfortable and they hold you in place in curves.

I think that if you would scratch all the color of the car and put it underwater, it will not rust!

Review Date: 26th December, 2003

1990 Mazda 323 DX 1.6L 4 Cylinder from North America

Summary:

Reliable little fortress

The exhaust system rusts quickly and 2 sections needed replacing within the past 2 years.

The radiator cracked at 195,000KM.

Both ball-joints needed replacing.

Clutch was completely worn at 250,000KM.

Drive mechanism is now starting to wear.

Driver's side door is falling off due to rust.

The taillights are barely holding on to the rusted trunk hatch.

General Comments:

This is quite possibly one of the longest lasting, hardest working, most dependable automobiles I have ever encountered.

The mechanical integrity will probably never be matched. Not a single thing has gone seriously wrong in the past 260,000KM.

The seats are uncomfortable for anything longer than a 2 hours drive.

The dome light works when it wants to.

The doors leak water through the seals and often wet the seats and/or occupants.

The noise level rivals that of a rock concert at highway speeds.

Although it was probably never meant to, I have easily reached speeds of 170KM/H (100MPH) and the engine is still as strong now as it was 2 years ago.

I have driven 126,000KM back and forth between Montreal and Toronto in the past 2 years and I have never had to worry about breaking down.

Fuel economy rivals that of a hybrid electric I'm sure, with 650KM on a half tank.

Comfort and ride come second to quality and durability and for that I am eternally greateful to Mazda for having built such an incredible car.

Review Date: 21st October, 2002

1990 Mazda 323 18i 16v from Belgium

Summary:

Its is a fast and nice car

When I changed my car radio the fuse blow, replaced it myself I'm proud of that.

General Comments:

It is a fast car (i love that)

Cheap 750 euro (about 730 dollar)

And smooth in curves.