1990 Mazda 323 Hatchback 1.6 liter 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

A 10-year+ love affair!

I'd had only a few very, very tiny complaints/problems in more than 10 years...

The foam that holds apart the horn contacts went bad, and the horn thus went off all by itself, as happened to another reviewer (fixed that easily with some foam from a shipping carton!).

The design of the windows/doors/roof means that water pours inside if you have the window down a little for ventilation, or to help defog, when it's raining.

The defog system for the windshield isn't the greatest; I often have to open the window, too.

General Comments:

The things I listed above are such minor points! I've never, ever put any money into my 323 Hatchback, other than routine maintenance, and it sips gas.

I've had this car since it was new, and I love it. I'm sorry that it will one day have to go to the great car lot in the sky, and that I can't buy the same model all over again.

I'm pretty small. The car probably wouldn't be all that comfortable for a six-footer!

Review Date: 26th January, 2002

25th Jan 2003, 11:59

Commenting on your review: Being a 6 footer, my little 323 is still the most comfortable car in this class I have ever driven. Good leg room and almost perfect placing of all controls. Anyone over 6feet tall might have problems seeing the top of the speedometer (blanketed by the steering wheel).

13th Sep 2004, 14:13

I have had my little 323 hatchback since July and I love it. Although two weeks ago someone ran in to my passenger side door and smashed it in, but that's alright because I'm getting a new door and a paint job, and I just got my system installed. But overall I have had no problems except that I just put a new clutch in it, but that's my own fault.

1990 Mazda 323 LX from North America

Summary:

Not a great experience

Leaked oil at 62000.

Died completely at 65000.

General Comments:

I suspect that Mazda does make a good car from all that I have read, but my experience with the Mazda 323 doesn't seem to support that. I put very little miles on the car before it completely died on me. I'm pretty sure the car dealer turned back the odometer on me, so it can't all be the fault of the car. Still, even at 165000 miles a decent car should be able to hold its ground for a while longer.

The '90 323 is not an incredibly attractive car. It is also not a very powerful car. The reason I chose this car was for its reliability, which I expected to be high from my research. The car died completely, and with a small amount of miles, so I can't say anything good for it other than the miles per gallon.

Mazda's 323 is probably better than my experience, I may have just gotten a lemon, but don't say I didn't warn you.

Review Date: 29th October, 2001

16th Aug 2009, 14:02

Depends on exactly what happend to your particular car to die like that... If you let a car run low on oil or coolant. even a brand new car with only 500 miles could die if you don't observe vital fluids.

1990 Mazda 323 F SE Executive 1.6 carb. SOHC from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Unique car that does the job of an Escort, but stands out

CV joint - Drivers side outer.

Headlight blew - bit fiddly to get into, also watch when tightening the screws you don't strip the thread.

General Comments:

Very nice car, handles so well for something of its size. Its not a sports car, but compared to a Ford of the same size, it runs rings around it.

The 1.6 Carb. SOHC unit is fairly fast, it's not going to scare some of the hot hatches away, but it'll give saloons a good run of equal size.

It's a very nice ride for longish runs, or sitting in traffic on the M25. Everything is very well screwed together.

The sound system is rather poor, speakers are very good, but the head unit is a let down from Clarion, and it's not easy to replace as half of the dash needs to be taken off. Rather than use standard DIN fitting, Mazda have opted for a bolt in attachment.

Review Date: 29th June, 2001