2000 Mazda 626 Reviews - Page 6 of 8

2000 Mazda 626 LX 2.5 V6 from North America

Year of manufacture2000
Engine and transmission 2.5 V6 Manual
Previous carToyota Camry

Summary:

Great value

I replaced rear sway bar bushings, timing belt, front axles at 100K. I hope to only do same at 200K.

General Comments:

The 626 has been a great reliable car. More fun to drive than my previous Camry. Much better handling and while no screamer is prety quick. 16sec quarter mile times and 140 mph top speed. Comfortable on long trips. Cheap to own and drive.

Review Date: 12th December, 2004

2000 Mazda 626 LX 2.0L from North America

Year of manufacture2000
Engine and transmission 2.0L Automatic

Summary:

I will never buy any Mazda in my life

Two of the auto. door locks failed in 2002;

Another two of the door locks failed in 2003;

Transmission needs to be rebuilt at 49900 miles.

General Comments:

I am a recent victim of notorious Mazda auto transmission.

I bought this car brand-new in June 2000. I had to replace all of the four door locks after 2-3 years. It costs ~$100/each.

The auto. transmission of the Mazda is really a problem. It runs OK except the shift is a little rough from 1st to the second gear until Nov.24, 2004. On 11/24/04, I found the speed couldn't go to more than 40MPH and the rotation is ~4k-5k at 40MPH with big noise. After ~10-15mins driving, the "O/D off" light turned on and I couldn't turn it off. I went to the Mazda dealer and spent $106 for diagnosis. The dealer said there is an internal electrical failure in the transmission and I need a rebuilt transmission which will cost me $3010.00!! My car is only 4.5 years old and only 49900 miles. I am a very mild driver and most of the mileage is highway. I did all of the regular maintenance during the years, but now I need a new transmission!! I searched on the INTERNET about the key words "Mazda O/D off light" and "Mazda transmission problems" and surprisingly to see that there are tons of victims of Mazda's transmission. Most of the victims had the exact problems of what I have and had to spend $2000 to $4000 to repair the transmission. I think Mazda knows this problem very well, but they never admit it is their fault. Now I am going to rebuild the transmission in AAMCO and it will cost me $2500. I will join the lawsuit against Mazda and will never buy any Mazda or Ford (the transmission is from Ford) any more in my life. I will also tell my friends not to buy Mazda. I think the Mazda needs to be punished for their bad quality.

Review Date: 3rd December, 2004

6th Dec 2004, 03:18

I have owned a Mazda Xedos 9 2.5 Auto, (Millennia in the USA) and it covered 159,000 miles with no transmission trouble whatsoever. Only at this mileage did the automatic clutch go- so I cannot really complain. I agree the 626 Automatics don't appear to be as good, but don't judge all Mazda's by the standards of yours (or your model).

2000 Mazda 626 ES 4 cylinder from North America

Year of manufacture1999
Engine and transmission 4 cylinder Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Beretta

Summary:

I hate this car!!

Transmission is already shot!! (at 80k miles).

Ignition wiring replaced at 76k.

Automatic door locks go haywire.

Bolts on wheels have rusted in place.

General Comments:

I am currently a college student who has had to take some time off of school for financial reasons. I bought this car to replace my last one, which blew a head gasket at 115k.

Everything I had read and heard about the 626 was very positive; I thought I was buying a reliable car. I drive to work everyday and was hoping to have enough money put away to return to school this January. Now, thanks to my Mazda, I am going to have to spend most of my savings on a new transmission! I have had this car for less than a year and it has been nothing but frustration. Needless to say, I will never buy another Mazda again.

Review Date: 17th October, 2004

22nd Oct 2004, 08:52

You have been very unlucky, it seems at some point in the cars life it may have been driven to the extremes of harshness. This is not normal Mazda.

22nd Jun 2009, 14:44

I bought my 99 new and the problems began during the first two years of ownership. Ten years later and with only 68k on the clock, the problems never stopped.

Hmmm, where to begin: two of the four door locks failed within the first four years, the trunk leaked, dash lights quit working, power antenna failed, I've replaced over a half-dozen coolant reservoirs, replaced the radiator, cam position sensor, and the alternator quit working yesterday. The car also leaks oil like a siv.

As soon as the economy picks up this poor excuse for a car is gone. I really do hate my Mazda 626.