1988 Mazda B2200 Reviews

1988 Mazda B2200 SE-5 2.2 from North America

Most recent year of ownership2013

Summary:

Amazing

Leak around the windshield

Bad rust.

Seats wore.

General Comments:

This truck is the toughest truck I've ever seen.

Estimated to have over 400,000 road miles, and still revs up to about 7,000 RPM.

Review Date: 26th April, 2013

1988 Mazda B2200 2.2 from Japan

Model year1989
Previous carmazda 626

Summary:

Affordable gas saving truck

Things that have gone wrong with truck.

High idle in mornings that will last sometimes 30 minutes.

Tapping noise from engine for the last 9 months. Took truck to a mechanic and he said it was a sticky lifter. Tapping has quieted down a little since adding some oil additives, but is still there. For the last few months car will sometimes surge when accelerating. Car has also died out a few times when I started to accelerate in fourth gear. This morning I was on my way to work and the truck just died on me in third gear. Truck will turn over, but it will not start. I do not think the timing belt has ever been changed. I do not know if its the timing belt, carburetor, air/fuel solenoid, etc? Any and all help would be appreciated. Thank you.

General Comments:

Nice little truck that is great on gas.

Good runner as long as you take care of it.

Review Date: 26th April, 2007

1988 Mazda B2200 4 cylinder from North America

Year of manufacture1987
Engine and transmission 4 cylinder Automatic
Previous cartoyota corolla

Summary:

Very good 2d vehicle and hauler for stuff

Battery died due to old age and intermittent use.

Muffler went at 59,000.

Air cleaner housing hoses keep blowing out due to unknown cause. taking truck to shop now to find out cause; possibly clogged catalytic converter?

Winshield was leaking and patched with sealant when purchased.

General Comments:

Extended long bed is incredible. more room than $30,000. trucks, I can haul anything.

Echo the upper body workout theme; try sharp turns or 4 point parking!

It almost looked new upon purchase. old farm truck with hardly a scratch.

Old style interior is kind of cool.

Review Date: 16th January, 2006

12th Mar 2007, 19:09

I know why your air cleaner hoses keep blowing up! It happened to me at about 230,000 miles. It can lead to your head gasket blowing... Anyways, its probably not the catalytic converter being clogged its somewhere in the manifold or where it meets the exhaust pipes. Have the mechanic use a fibre optic scope and look through the manifold and stuff to find out where it is before you replace piping, manifolds, or catalytic converters. Don't let them guess, that's what my mechanic did.

1988 Mazda B2200 SE-5 2.2L from North America

Engine and transmission 2.2L Automatic

Summary:

Very nice truck. Very inexpensive and reliable!

"Clicking" while driving on hot days - fixed now. Replaced battery, fuel filter, fixed oil leak, normal problems for the age of the truck.

General Comments:

Very nice truck. I love it. Very reliable. I learned how to drive it this truck and it's a very good first car for someone. Gives your arms a workout when parallel parking for lack of power steering, but it's not too bad otherwise. Slow acceleration because of not having fuel injection. Very cheap to operate and fix. Not too expensive to fill up with gas. OK gas mileage. Cab is very comfortable and roomy. Seats are comfortable except for on very long drives. Overall, I am very happy with it.

Review Date: 25th September, 2004

1988 Mazda B2200 SE-5 2.2 Liter from North America

First year of ownership1988
Engine and transmission 2.2 Liter Automatic

Summary:

I would buy another if I could.

Head gasket blew at about 77,000 miles.

Lifters, once in a while, "click".

General Comments:

We have had this truck in my family for 16 years now. My grandpa bought the truck, but then gave it to my dad in 1996. May of 2004, my dad gave me this truck as a gift. I did some work on it(lowered, paint, ground effects, etc) and it was pretty cheap to do. The only "bad" thing about the truck is the speed. Acceleration wise, slow. Overall, I love my lil' Mazda. I would never sell it.

Review Date: 23rd September, 2004

1988 Mazda B2200 SE-5 2.2 from North America

Previous carToyota Celica

Summary:

Great truck and cheap to operate!

Part of the emission control went out, the dealer wanted $40.00 for each part (which is a filter with a butterfly valve on the back). I went to a wrecking yard and bought 3 of them for a $1.00 each. I only needed to use one of them, so I have back ups if ever needed again. The clear coat has come off the driver side of the bed. I think it had been repainted before I got it, but it is still not that easy to see the clear coat missing on one part of the truck.

General Comments:

I bought this truck at a dealer for $1500.00, they were asking $2500.00 but that was over my spending limit so the dealer came down to make the sell. It was a 1 owner truck, the couple traded it in to buy a new Ranger...ops, I mean Mazda truck. They sure made a mistake, Mazda trucks aren't anything like they used to be when Mazda made them. If I wanted a Ford Ranger I would buy one. The truck has been very reliable and is my daily driver. I own an Isuzu VEHIcross and leave that parked in the garage to save the mileage. I did buy a new instrument cluster with a tach on it. It looks more complete now. I just can't figure out how to get the digital clock on the guages to work. Anyone know how to hook those up? I also installed a center console with cup holders and a larger lockable storage area from Walmart for like $20.00. It matches the interior perfectly and looks factory! So if anyone knows about hooking up the clock let me know please. trevorcarlson@hotmail.com.

Review Date: 17th September, 2004