1989 Mazda MX6 GT 2.2 turbo from North America

Summary:

If you can find a reliable one, go for it

I hope I can fit all the problems in this review... CV joints, half-shafts, repaired cracked radiator, tranny won't shift into drive sometimes, turbo went out, struts wore out, ball joints, some very strange LOUD vibration noise in the front end when it's cold outside (dealer can't even find it), exhaust fell off, exhaust manifold gasket, valve cover leaks, moonroof lowered too far when closed, gas tank leaked when over 1/2 tank, distributor cracked, wipers stopped working, stereo stopped, power antenna doesn't move, engine block broke where the top passenger's side mount bolts on (not fixable), and trunk lock won't turn.

General Comments:

This car screams down the highway like a banshee! When all those things broke, I replaced them with aftermarket performance parts because it was cheaper than the stock parts: suspension, intake, turbo (stock pressure), ignition system, tires, and exhaust. The car handles great for an older front drive. It has some understeer though. I put her to the test on a 5 mile straight stretch of highway... topped out at about 145mph! Too bad I've spent $6000 fixing a $2500 car.

Review Date: 23rd January, 2003

20th Feb 2003, 10:04

I completely agree with this review! My MX6 has been nothing but trouble since day one, and I don't think I could list all the problems I've had with it if I tried to, there are just way too many!

22nd May 2003, 14:16

It sounds like to me that you need a new car. You could have used that $6000 dollars to get a totally different car. One that was reliable and wouldn't break down every month.

1989 Mazda MX6 GT Import 2Lt Twin Cam FE3 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Performance, looks and equipment levels way ahead of its time

Front Drivers Side Wheel Bearing - Expensive at over $150.00.

Paint takes a lot of maintainence - lack of clear coat on most colours.

Boot is prone to leaking through rear tail light assemblies.

General Comments:

Excellent performance.

Excellent economy.

Modern looks.

Many factory fitted options including air conditioning, power windows, full digital climate control and 4 wheel disk brakes.

Review Date: 2nd April, 2002

1989 Mazda MX6 LX 2.2 fuel injected from North America

Summary:

A high performance bargain

Window switch went bad.

Replaced the exhaust.

General Comments:

The best kept secret for under 1500 dollars {that's what I paid}.

Handles great.

I am in the process of customizing the body. This car deserves it!

Review Date: 21st September, 2001

1989 Mazda MX6 GT 2.4 turbo from North America

Summary:

The stealth performance car

Besides regular maintenance, there have only been a few problems. The entire exhaust system was replaced over a number of years, including two mufflers. I don't think it was designed for winter sand/salt on the roads.

It's gone through several CV boots/joints as well.

Also, the radiator needed replacement far too early. Even still, there is a slow leak in the cooling system that nobody seems to be able to find.

There have been some fit & finish issues as well. Bad door and ignition locks that needed replacement, a broken rail on the driver's seat, a not-very-sturdy radio, bad sun visors, etc.

Overall, compared to other vehicles of the same age in this climate, there have been very few problems.

General Comments:

I couldn't imagine driving this car without the turbocharger. The engine is seriously sluggish until the "vacuum cleaner" kicks in. After that, passing is no problem at all.

The funny thing is, you don't suspect its performance by looking at it. "A Tempo with a spoiler".

The small engine means excellent fuel economy, even when the car ages.

Adjustable suspension is nice, but there's still a little too much roll in "Sport".

This car has taken me on several 5000km road trips, cheaply, safely, and happily.

I wouldn't trade it in for any other used car. Within reason, of course. And I think it still has quite a bit of life left in it.

Review Date: 8th August, 2001

1989 Mazda MX6 LX 2.2L I4 from North America

Summary:

A best buy

Most electrical devices fail, such as the power antenna, rear defroster switch, power window switches, stereo.

Power windows, moon roof, and mirrors are slow and noisy.

Exhaust rattles, needs replacement.

General Comments:

This car accelerates well, even for a non-turbo model.

Handling is OK, the ride is stiff but comfortable.

The car is fun to drive, gets good gas mileage, wasn't very costly.

Runs much smoother on mid-grade unleaded fuel.

The rear seats aren't THAT bad, but rear legroom is.

Review Date: 2nd August, 2001