1989 Mazda MX6 Reviews - Page 6 of 8

Year of manufacture1989
First year of ownership1989
Engine and transmission 2.2 turbo Manual
Previous carFord Mustang

Summary:

Budget Pocket Rocket

Replaced the radiator, starter, 2 tie-rods, brakes 3 times, under hood fuse panel, shift linkages and 4 sets of tires.

General Comments:

Considering the years and mileage this has, it's been an awesome car. With the suspension set on soft it's surprisingly comfortable on the long hauls. But change the setting to Sport, rev the engine to 4000 rpm then drop the clutch and hold on tight to that steering wheel (huge torque steer in first with turbo) then start rowing through the gears. What a pocket rocket! And for a front wheel drive, she handles surprisingly well when driven hard into and out of corners. With regular maintenance and oiling of the body I've had no major problems, very little rust and she's still running strong today with 270m + miles on it.

Review Date: 5th June, 2003

1989 Mazda MX6 GT Turbo 2.2L 12 valve from North America

Year of manufacture1989
Engine and transmission 2.2L 12 valve Manual
Previous carMazda 626

Summary:

Six cylinder power on a four cylinder budget

Plugs, rotor, distributor cap, and wires needed replacement right when I bought it.

It burns a little bit of oil, not much for an 89 with almost 150k on the original motor.

Passenger side seat bracket had broken, but was easily fixed with a wire welder and 10 minuets time.

I have been told that the differential is the weak link in the power train, so rebuilt mine at 130,000 miles.

General Comments:

This is a fantastic car to drive. The handling at speed is smooth and very direct. Shocking acceleration the first few times I really got into the gas.

There is some torque steer at wide open throttle in the lower gears.

I have added on many aftermarket parts, ignition coil, 9mm plug wires, iridium spark plugs (a must for any turbo), electronic boost control, turbo timer, cross drilled rotors, performance brake pads, lowering springs, lightweight aluminum flywheel, and Phantom Grip limited slip differential to name a few.

The GT model for the years it was produced (1988-1992) is now becoming scarce. Every day another one of these gems disappears off the road forever. If you do happen across one jump on it as quick as you can, it will not wait for long.

Review Date: 27th February, 2003

20th Aug 2003, 10:49

"The car can handle up to 16 psi on stock pistons, however, the computer will intervene at 11 psi unless it is also modified with a chip.

It's a very smooth riding car that begs to be driven hard, personally I have had mine up to nearly 150 mph only to lift off for fear of my well being, but the car still had more. "

The car can actually handle up to 18psi on stock internals and boost cut is 15psi, not 11. I know this, because, I too own an 89 GT, and have a boost controller, and gauges. I am running 13psi right now, because of fuel system limitations... without a bigger fuel pump, it starts to run a little lean after 12psi. Anyway.. 135mph is the fastest that I have heard of a GT getting up too... 150 seems a little... high?

8th Apr 2009, 02:06

Hey, I have a 91 MX6 GT with only a couple off mods like rebuilt engine, act clutch, manual boost controller, intake and 3 inch exhaust. Only boosting 9 psi and I got to 144 mph in 5th gear and my rpm was at 5400rpm, so I think it's possible.

27th Dec 2010, 02:17

My 88 GT has been one of the most reliable cars I have ever had. (I've personally owned AT LEAST 50 cars!!)

I love spanking GT mustangs and Camaro's on a regular basis.

I have done all the homework and research, along with the wrench time on this thing, and now make over 325 torque at the wheels! I can honestly say that 150mph is attainable, and can be done with much less than I have on my car.

I still don't know how these cars got overlooked in the late 80's early 90's. No Honda, or ANY front drive car I can think of can match the power and speed of the MX6 GT.

The changes to make more power are easy and fairly inexpensive -- I know because I went in small steps to get the car where it is today.

If you want a semi rare car that can beat almost any four or six cylinder on the road today -- GET A FIRST GEN MX6 GT!!!