1989 Mercedes-Benz 190 Reviews - Page 7 of 8

1989 Mercedes-Benz 190 190E 2.6 gas from North America

First year of ownership1997
Engine and transmission 2.6 gas Automatic
Previous carPorsche 911

Summary:

Best luxury sport compact in the world

Water pump, pad under hood, bushings, ignition control module, tensor, fuel pumps, check engine light, air conditioner leak, electric window motors.

General Comments:

Although I have had to spend money on this car, it is still the best of this world in performance, it also has style that surprises people when they ask the year of make. I cannot match it with another car, which is why it was never replaced.

Review Date: 3rd August, 2003

1989 Mercedes-Benz 190 190E 2.6 2.6 from North America

First year of ownership1995
Most recent year of ownership1995

Summary:

Fast and save car... built like a tank!

My Fault:

Went down a hill at about 120km/h and I shifted to a lower gear...the transmission made a huge gun like banging sound...soon after that my car have problem backing up.

Not my fault:

Rear windows didn't work properly (Electric)

General Comments:

A VERY good car to drive... owned this baby for 7 years! Still runs at a top speed of 170km/h! Amazingly FAST. Although a good car... this car is dead in winter. It is NOT drivable when there is a bit more snow.

I still love it very much as it is almost 14 years old and could run up to 170 km/h. It's a great car even with the annoyance of the rear window thing...

Overall this car kicks butt on highways! Who says Mercedes is for old people?

Review Date: 30th December, 2002

10th Jan 2003, 22:05

I found it interesting that you seperated "things that have gone wrong" into two elements.

I disagree with your critique on winter driving. Although this is my first Quebec (Canadian) winter with my own '88 190E I have done O.K. to date. My driving includes secondary highways and a 1.5 - 2 km. hill/mountain up a well maintained dirt road. The right tires can make all the difference. I'm riding on Toyo GO2plus. The manufacturer incorporates crushed walnut shells in the compound for added traction (an intelligent alternative grip design, as opposed to studded tires). These tires are designed to perform well with snow and ice. Their braking characteristics are also noteworthy.

Because the car is responsive and you seem to like to move is it possible that you may need to adjust your driving style more, to better accomodate wet or snowy conditions?

You may also wish to consider a good wet traction four season performance tire for spring, summer and fall.

4th Aug 2003, 04:13

Ehm, 170 km/h for a 2.6 6 cylinder is not that fast. It should go over 200 km/h quite easily. I have a small turbodiesel car which can do 180 km/h and that is not something special. Maybe it's the age of the car that plays up. Have it reconditioned and you will be surprized...

13th Sep 2003, 00:15

Today we bought a 2003 MERCEDES and want to sell our 1989 4 door 190 2.6 with 60,000 miles.

25th Mar 2004, 11:08

I disagree too with the critique on winter driving. I live in Finland, where winters are always snowy. My MB 190 2.6 has been great on snowy and icy roads. I would say that it is more a question of how you drive - the driving style must be adjusted when weather conditions change.

This car is really the best car I've ever had and haven't even considered selling it.

24th Jul 2012, 02:25

She drives easily over 200 kmh. Euro model with the super long manual shifter, 105 in second, 160 in third, and you have 4th and 5th left. It is geared for the autobahn, so you can shift down from 5th to 4th at 140, and accelerate quickly from there up... simply amazing. American versions are geared differently though... 180 cruising feels great!

1989 Mercedes-Benz 190 E 2.6 6 cylinder from North America