1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class 180 Elegance 1.8 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Dignified, relaxed and comfortable

Nothing major at all. Not one major garage visit

* A bit of graunching coming from the front corner.

* Kickdown never really worked properly (I picked it very cheap), but the transmission is fine otherwise. No bumps and/or clunks. On the rare occasion that I need a bit of extra oomph, I just shift it manually. Both the car and I are content with this situation.

* All the other bits and mechanical gubbins are there and are functioning as the engineers intended, as they will probably will be for quite some time.

* It's not a fast car by any stretch, but perfectly adequate. Hummed along happily at 160 km/h when a French ferry strike necessitated covering the ground quick between Roscoff and Le Havre, loaded with four adults and all their cheese and wine.

* Rust is a thing. Gotta keep an eye on it... all the old faves - arches, sills, stone chips etc, This is my second W202; the first fell to wire worm in the end.

* Super light power steering lacks the "feel" that motoring journalists tell us that we need, but it just makes it so easy to zip around and park. Whenever I get into my girlfriend's Puma, it feels like I'm wrestling with a Morris Oxford.

This car's USP is comfort, it has neither the desire nor ability to do the Nurburgring. I'm OK with that.

So I've got a 4 door five seater with four airbags, ABS, traction control (which you can't turn off, which is fine because I don't want to do that) cruise, A/C, electric everything and lots of good wood. It as solid as the proverbial and as comfortable as a bed. 28/35 MPG (imperial).

If it wasn't for the booted Opel Kadett rear end, it would look like a 4/5th scale W123.

And that's a good thing!

General Comments:

A relaxing, comfortable cruiser, that 16 years later still makes you look like you mean business.

Review Date: 5th February, 2014

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 Sport from North America

Summary:

Awesome. Comfort and fun!

Wiper fuse - mechanic replaced with sturdier fuse and wiper - easy and cheap.

Cruise - not functioning.

General Comments:

Has been a rock since I've bought it. Mostly just regular maintenance. Fun to drive in the corners and the straightaways. Not super fast, but enough oomph to put a smile on your face.

The interior is very comfortable and stylish (especially the Sport version with the faux carbon fiber), and it feels more modern than the 190e and 300e. Everything was dials and manual buttons on those, and wrapped in wood. Not my thing.

Looks great with a Thule rack. :)

Review Date: 27th March, 2013

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Elegance 2.4L petrol V6 from Botswana

Summary:

Expensive to own and maintain

Tightener pulley and tensioner broke when I was driving.

General Comments:

Comfort is nice.

Spare parts are very expensive.

Review Date: 5th May, 2011

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class 2.0 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Great; will buy another

Lower ball joints.

Key.

Air flow meter.

Brake switch.

General Comments:

Very comfortable and reliable.

Auto box is super smooth.

Surprised by the economy, considering it's a 2 litre automatic.

Seats are hard wearing.

Handles like a dream.

Take your time when buying one. Research on the Internet for known faults, watch the oil level in the auto gearbox and engine. Most stuff you can fix yourself.

Review Date: 11th June, 2010

4th Jun 2014, 09:21

Surprised about the economy? What are your figures please?

Thank you.

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C180 Esprit 1.8L from Jordan

Summary:

Real Mercedes-Benz car

Expensive maintenance and parts cost.

A/C is not good as I was expecting.

Rear doors comes with manual windows.

General Comments:

Sport flavor for this car is really great, you can find that in the performance of the combination of its engine and the S-Mode of its automatic gearbox.

Also I like its smart size and interior that still works perfectly.

Review Date: 25th April, 2010

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C200 2.0L petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Good, but should be better for a Merc

Minor things.

Viscous coupling fan at 60k miles.

Tensioner pulley at 60k miles.

Electric mirror heater at 30k miles.

Fixed them myself fairly easily.

General Comments:

Engine and wind noise higher than I would have expected from a Merc.

Used to get excellent economy on the motorway.

Review Date: 28th February, 2010