1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C 220 Classic diesel from Bosnia and Herzegovina

Great car, bullet proof engine

Climate radiator broken because of near by ventilators in front the car.

Oil for servo wheel control, need to fill every month a half of liter.

General Comments:

Great car, very reliable, cheap service, very easy to fix, engine bullet proof. My friend buy this from me, he is a mechanic and he told me that engine can go more 300,000 km without any service.

This engine wasn't turbo and I think that is the reason for this big mileage.

The main cons of this car is small space inside, but that is C-class it is ancestor of Mercedes 190 class, if you need speace buy E-class.

Review Date: 29th May, 2007

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 Sport 2.4 V6 from UK and Ireland

Deeply disappointing

Steering damper replaced at 67500 miles at a cost of £250.

Rear brake pads replaced at 67500 miles and again at 70000 miles, both fitted at Mercedes Benz main dealer.

Main dealer has had the car for the last 10 days due to the engine reaching temperatures exceeding 100°C (it used to run at a constant 80°C). After many diagnostic tests, costing a fortune, and 20 hours of labour looking at the car, also replacing numerous items, they say they cannot find the fault with the car and there is nothing else they can do to assist me!

General Comments:

The car is only 9 years old, but has large rust patches on most of the exterior body panels. A problem with Mercedes of this era I am led to believe. We have a 1996 Honda Civic which has no rust and 120000 miles on the clock (great car).

The car is comfortable and nice to drive, although it does feel underpowered and consumes vast amounts of petrol even when driven with a light right foot (18-20mpg).

I,ve always wanted a Mercedes, however after one year of ownership I am very dissapointed and therefore selling it on to buy another Honda.

Review Date: 30th April, 2007

2nd May 2007, 05:24

Sounds a bit steep for the steering damper. It's a simple bolt on part under the car which I'm led to believe costs around 40 pounds. Suggest you seek out a independant MB specialist to look at the temperature problem. These cars really only make sense if you keep them a few years - as you'll probobly loose heavily selling on after a year.

5th Aug 2015, 22:07

A steering damper costs 75 Euros, and all it needs to replace it is undo two bolts, one at each end, and put the new one in. It takes 15 minutes to replace.

The temperature issue does not make sense to me. The only car we had that would not keep its temp was one that had been given tap water for a long time. It rusts and causes loads of corrosion everywhere. Someone has to pay the price then. To give this car a new start, we replaced the radiator and the heater, since they were restricting water flow, and we next ran the engine for 100 miles with rust remover added to Mercedes rad fluid twice. It was OK then.

Sounds like bad workmanship to me, and loads of elements of non conformance with the norm.

1998 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C200 2.0 from UK and Ireland

Solid, reliable and comfortable

General Comments:

Offered this car at an unbelievable price by a contact. I was a bit worried about the running costs compared to my old Primera. So far I need not have worried as the car has been faultless. Service parts and spares can also be obtained very cheaply from German after-market spares specialists.

Car drives nicely and is very comfortable. The cabin is spacious and the equipment level ample. Engine is slightly sluggish, but drives along happily and quietly.

The build quality is very good and it feels like it will last a long time. Many friends and colleagues said I should have got a 3-series BMW, but I must say I am not in the slightest bothered. This is a quality car albeit a bit heavy on fuel.

Review Date: 10th April, 2007

9th Nov 2012, 20:36

Your friends are just jealous, what do they drive?

BMW 3 series are no C200, unless you're getting the M3.