2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Elegance C200 Kompressor from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

It's just OK

Purchased the car with 70000kms. The first owner was a doctor's wife; it has been always serviced at Mercedes.

Nothing has gone wrong with the car, except sometimes when I accelerate off the lights, the car just doesn't go anywhere, I have to pump the accelerator before it responds. I have had some nervous situations at some busy intersections. My brother in law has a 2003 CLK 230, and he has the same problem. I figure it's a Mercedes fault as my mechanic can't work it out.

General Comments:

My Father also has an old reconditioned '83 230E sedan (one owner) and it's a pleasure to drive. I don't think I can speak so highly for my C200 K. The car's performance is definitely nothing you would brag about, but it is what you would expect from an engine this size. The suspension is very loud over bumps, and almost feels cheap when comparing it to the smooth, quiet ride of the BMW 320I or even the Lexus IS200; I have test driven both in the past.

The steering is very light, and I will give the handling a 5 out of 10. The reason I chose the Merc over the BMW, is Mercedes interior (seats) wear a lot better than BMW's soft leather seats. But the comparison stops there; the dash is very plastic, steering wheel wears out quickly (common fault) and the climate control is very analog looking. The sound system is sufficient, BUT it doesn't pick up AM radio, lots of static, (another common fault I have read in forums). I have no idea how they could get that wrong, but anyway.

Interior marks I would give it a 4.5 out of 10; my interior is all grey. Maybe if I had bought one with a black interior, I would have been more satisfied.

Overall the C200K may be quicker off the lights than a 320I and the IS200, but both these cars in my opinion are built a lot better. If you're in the market for this class car, find a BMW with a neat interior.

Would I buy another car from this manufacturer, maybe, but only if it's a C63 and upwards.

Review Date: 6th November, 2012

7th Nov 2012, 17:00

The acceleration problem you describe is a side effect of electronic throttle control. I've heard it can be particularly bad in Mercedes cars, but also Toyotas, Hondas, BMWs... virtually every car built since say 2002, or whenever electronic throttle control was introduced.

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class W203 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Great car, but don't buy a first model run

Cam adjusters needed replacing - $2500, but replaced under warranty. Pretty ordinary these going at 62000kms.

Air vent under dash needed replacing - $2300, replaced under warranty.

Fuel gauge does not work correctly - yet to speak to the dealer about this.

Paint chips easily. Make sure you get some touch up from the dealer.

General Comments:

We bought this as a second car, and overall I really like it. The 2lt. supercharged engine has enough power for blasting around town, and it uses bugger all fuel. Generally the car is well built, with no creaks or rattles.

Fortunately for us, we have a 2 year Merc warranty.

The trouble starts with the engine. I don't think these early 203's have one of Mercedes better engines. One look on any internet forum will find the same issues appearing time and again.

I wouldn't waste my money on a 01 to 04 of one of these cars. Make sure you get an update model. (they have a different instrument cluster to the early ones)

Review Date: 1st December, 2011

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C200 Kompressor 2.0 supercharged petrol from Lebanon

Summary:

Best car in its class from many sides

Rear disk brakes when bought the car.

Nothing else till now.

General Comments:

I have this car for 2 months till now, the car is very nice, handles very well like floating on the road, has the Mercedes Benz feeling when you drive it, well built, gorgeous from outside, roomy from inside.

It has all specifications you need. The on board computer is very brilliant, you can control many features from it (like interior lights when to turn off, also exterior head lamps, radio-CD, and many other toys...).

The car is fast compared to the engine size 2.0L; the Kompressor gives a big push to the car like a turbo, but works much better. The only disadvantage of the kompressor is that you hear a little noise from the engine, you have to get used to it. Else everything is silent, classy and well put.

When I intend to buy a new car, I had in my mind 2 choices, BMW 3 series and Mercedes C Class. Everything else was not a competitive in my opinion.

As driving experience, maybe BMW is better to enjoy driving, but Mercedes is better in many other ways. Mercedes is more desirable.

Fuel consumption is very acceptable, 260km/20L on the highway, 150km in city. Even its 163hp, is very close to the C240 V6 engine.

This car looks like new (brought from Germany and well maintained with full service history), I'm hoping to drive it for 5 years without major problems if well serviced, as I expect from a Mercedes.

Review Date: 18th March, 2010

29th Oct 2010, 06:58

I agree with the Lebanon comment. I live in Australia and now own a 2001 C200k Avantgarde. It has 100K on the clock, but is quiet, powerful and comfortable. Never been happier with a car, and I have owned over 40 of them!

24th Nov 2010, 13:10

I own 2001 C200 Kompressor, a silver colour Auto. Bought 6 months ago and done on average 1k every month. Now it has 63k on clock. A perfect example.

UK Doctor.

30th Aug 2012, 07:51

Hey, I'm from Lebanon, and I'm thinking about buying a C200 Kompressor. I heard that the C-Class shares an electrical problem, is that right?

Thanks.

6th Dec 2014, 10:39

My wife has just bought a C Class 200 sports coupe 2001 with a genuine 38,000 on the clock.

It has full service history and has been serviced only by Mercedes. 2,900 pounds. A year's AA membership, 3 month warranty and parts anywhere in the country. As this is her first decent car, what problems may she expect?

6th Dec 2014, 22:53

Check out honestjohn.co.uk, click on "Reviews" and from there, Car By Car, select Mercedes-Benz, and select the car from there. Any common problems are under the "What's Bad" tab.