1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Kompressor from North America - Comments

16th Mar 2007, 21:41

I hope you guys have better luck with your transmissions than I did. After 150,000 miles, the transmission destroyed itself without any warning signs. The dealer reported that even though the MB doesn't recommend any service on the transmission, they've seen enough problems that they do recommend it be checked out after 100k miles. Unfortunately, they never bothered to tell me this. I had the car since new and it really started falling apart after 120k miles, with numerous electrical problems, and my favorite, the windshield wiper motor ($1200 total parts/labor)!

28th Jan 2009, 13:08

I love my C-230 for pick up and mileage, but have had problem with recurring "check engine" light. It cost me $1800 the first time to have the air/oil separator replaced and cleaned. Now after 6 months it's back on, although the car is running fine. Any similar stories or resolutions?

26th Mar 2009, 15:34

C230: what is "kompressor", are all c230's "kompressors". Does this change the value?

Thanks, John B.

30th Mar 2009, 04:18

"Kompressor" is a mechanical device in the engine that increases compression inside the combustion chamber, so that there is an increase in horsepower.

Not all C230s are Kompressors, there was also a C230 which replaced the C220. The difference is that C230 has about 150hp, and C230 Kompressor, has about 192hp.

Indeed, C230 Kompressor is more appreciated - at least in countries where fuel is not so expensive - than a C230 and, therefore demands higher resale prices.

I hope this helps.

17th Aug 2009, 07:45

All of you scared me off on buying very nice looking and running Kompressor '99, with 120,000. UK specs as serving over here. Seriously, thanks. Joe B.

8th Sep 2009, 14:06

Kompressor is like a turbo: helps the motor to create more power. The Kompressor is more efficient than the turbo, as the turbo needs rpm to activate (exhaust), while kompressor is a mechanical device that "pumps" air into the motor, no matter what rpm you are at.

I have a 99 kompressor. Had some minor electrical problems, a few rust spots are appearing.

Very good: handling/power.

Not so good are quality: rust, noisy and some rattly noise from sunroof and doors.

20th Jan 2010, 13:38

Hi all, having read your comments on the C230k, they make me feel proud to own mine.

Like the rest, it's a 1999 model in blue, only problem I had was my key fob stopped working; solution, pay M.B. a stupid amount for a replacement, or easier, just have have a new alarm fitted with central locking fob.

24th Jan 2010, 12:49

Hello, the C230 K is certainly one of the best cars. I had one and the clock was at 425 000 km before my accident. A truck hit me from the side going about 100km/h. I only bit my tongue. This is a safe, economical and beautiful machine.

Simon.RSA.

1st Feb 2010, 09:48

I have a 1999 MB C 230 Kompressor with 121000 miles on it. Runs great, but when the temp drops below 50 F, my transmission sticks and won't change until the engine warms up. Had the filter changed at 100 K, and replaced fluid with recommended synthetic fluid. Any ideas as to what I can do next? Car runs great and I enjoy driving it.

10th Feb 2010, 08:12

C 230 K 1999 rocks! Can't wait to finance one. Anyone who can help out find a good one.

Samba, R.S.A.

7th Mar 2010, 15:48

I have a 99 C230 Kompressor, and the tranny just went with no warning today. Does anyone know what this would cost, or where to find a used one?

19th Aug 2010, 19:30

Have 99 C230. Love it. 103000 miles.

Just replaced coil springs in the front. Both were broken on the bottom. Never any problems with the transmission condenser for the A/C.

Other than that, nothing. Will gladly buy another one.

Thinking about tranny service, but they tell me wait till the problem happens when I ask them to do it. They say is there a problem? I say no. They say leave it alone then.

27th Nov 2010, 13:18

My CLK 1999 230 Kompressor trunk is stuck. The metal key nor wireless key nor internal button opens the trunk. The light in the button shows the trunk is open, but it is not!! How can I open the trunk? :S:S.

20th Mar 2011, 19:31

Oh no! I also have the 230 Compressor.

The transmission will not change out of 1st. I too need a windshield wiper motor. I only have 80,000 miles and don't even drive the car. I have 2 other cars. I went to Advance Parts and they gave me a good price on the motor.

31st Jan 2012, 15:14

I have a 1999 C230 Kompressor with 125,000 miles, and the engine is cranked, leaking transmission fluid, check engine light is on; 2,400.00 to fix the problem, and one month later, I'm back where I started. Now I cannot drive the car. I think it's time for a new one.

18th Feb 2012, 18:09

I have a 1999 C230 Mercedes Kompressor. I did change the battery and the battery on my remote, trying to fix the central locking system. Checked all the fuses, and still cannot lock or unlock the doors, or open the trunk. Is there someone with knowledge who wants to help me out? Help!!!

22nd Feb 2014, 23:58

Before changing your wiper motor, pull the cover off of the wiper motor transmission and lubricate the two sliders underneath. I thought my motor was shot too, but soon realized after searching forums that a simple lube with LITHIUM grease resolves the issue. A simple and cheap fix that works!!

Symptom: the wiper moves extremely slowly near the middle of the window...

Hope this helps!!