2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Reviews

2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class 280 2.8 V6 from Australia and New Zealand

Engine and transmission 2.8 V6 Semi-Automatic
Distance when acquired12000 kilometres
Previous carMercedes-Benz E-Class

Summary:

Not suited for me. Am disappointed

Gearbox problems with smooth changing in gears.

Air suspension leak; a very COSTLY fix.

All sorts of wear and tear in the car.

Has a bad sound system.

Air con buttons not functioning properly.

Bootlid hinge was broken and replaced.

Interior light broken.

General Comments:

I love Mercedes cars, but this is probably the worst I've had. Originally brought for my wife, but she bought a C300 as the car was too big. I have been driving it on a daily basis as my work car. I also have a E63 AMG, which I can only say is not even comparable to the S280.

It is useless in terms of power on the highway, but OK for normal roads. Very under powered and heavy.

S Class cars are high maintenance, don't buy one unless you have pocket change or know a technician to fix problems.

Would recommend the 3.7 V6 S Class or V8 models over the 280. I also think the new S Class is a huge improvement to the older model that I have. Have test driven and placed an order for a S600 to replace.

Overall, I think the old S Class is not great. Hopefully my new S Class won't disappoint!

Review Date: 24th June, 2011

2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S500V 5.0 gasoline from North America

Engine and transmission 5.0 gasoline Automatic
Most recent distance190000 miles
Previous carHonda Accord

Summary:

Brilliant german craftmanship

Crankcase sensor at 149,000 miles.

Trunk spring at 130,000.

Find a good local shop for your Mercedes; the two dealers near me are just poor in every way.

General Comments:

I really enjoy my S500; it has room for my family of five, cruises with no problems, plenty of power, does approx 20-25 mpg, and the car has been most reliable.

The paint shows some chips and dings, but still shines after a polish.

For a luxury car, it has been very inexpensive.

It's a little over 190k miles, and still running very strong.

Review Date: 8th April, 2010

8th Apr 2010, 17:24

I am glad you like your S class. I have a S550 from 2008 or 2009 (the dealer never clarified), and it is an amazing car. Glad your like yours. I hope to get the S600 for my next car. V-12.. Fun!

16th Jan 2013, 00:09

I'd like to have a VIN number of this vehicle so I could run a service history on it. I've found it almost impossible to believe that an S500v can give you over 20 MPG...

I had one, and never got over 14 in city and 16 in combined driving.

When it comes to reliability, this car was the worst I have ever had. Would go over 1000 miles without having something broken. I'd like to mention that the head gasket and intake manifold assembly was replaced at 29330 miles! The self leveling system was a nightmare.

My neighbor has sold his S430 after 17 months. His was every month at the dealership for repair.

We got those cars the same week! Both made in Stuttgart.

At the dealer waiting room, all of us (owners of S-Class) hated our S Classes for poor reliability and poor engineering.

P.S. Only Mercedes has wires that will turn into blue powder inside of the insulation. To fix the engine wiring harness problem, it will cost you about 4200$, and after 38k they will charge you again. I have refused to pay again for it, and decided to get rid of this thing. NEVER AGAIN S-CLASS. NEVER!!!

I'll go with a Lexus LS. I have no time and will to support my regional MB dealer. No thanks.

2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 from North America

Most recent distance162000 kilometres
Previous carFord Explorer

Summary:

Rust bucket!

This car is a RUST bucket. It's starting to show electrical problems (dashboard lights flickering), lamps keep burning out (at $200 per light bulb!), problems notification turning on for a day and then vanishes.

General Comments:

Drives well and handles great. I love it but will never buy a car that costs so much and in 5 years you need to throw it away because of rust!

Review Date: 22nd April, 2009

24th Apr 2009, 17:40

Rust bucket???....LOL

I personally have NEVER seen a contemporary MBZ S Class in North America with the rust you mention. Or any rust as a matter of fact.

Where exactly on the car is this rust you speak of? You failed to mention where and how much exactly.

Why did you not have the car inspected before buying it? Sounds like you should be more upset with yourself than the car.

Have it repaired or sell it and get something else, but it won't be as nice unless it's another S Class BENZ!