2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Reviews - Page 5 of 5

2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S320 L 3.2 from United Arab Emirates

Most recent year of ownership2002
Previous carCadillac DeVille

Summary:

Worth every penny

For such an excellent car, I have had problems with the wiper blades. They streaked the windshield from early on. By the way, I live in an area where there is very little rain and no snow. It costs a fortune to replace the blades. US$163 for just the rubber blades. My cousin had similar problems on his S Class.

My A/C did not work, but was fixed under the warranty.

My engine had rough idling, it was the air intake sensor. Replaced under warranty.

Otherwise, the car has performed marvellously.

General Comments:

A true status symbol. People start treating you seriously once they see the car.

Very roomy and luxurious. I have standard seats and wish I had bought the seats with the air blowing through. That should be a worthwhile investment.

Am not complaining about the performance, but I think the S500 would have added more oomph.

Do go in for the L version. It adds about 4 inches to back seat leg room. I have small kids and these 4 inches make a big difference.

I had mine ordered from the factory, so was able to choose the options I wanted and of course there are a few I missed on. The one I most miss is the automatic trunk closing. Wish my dealer had told me that this was available. Only found out after the car was delivered.

The best of all. I turn off the Skid Control (ASR) and put the vehicle to spin. Even with the ASR off, it takes some effort to get the wheels to slide. What a car!

Review Date: 10th January, 2002

28th May 2002, 22:25

Glad you're enjoying this wonderful car. The only comment I would add is that the 320 is very notably underpowered when compared to the 500 or 600. The 600, while very nice indeed, is over-kill unless you really want a 'sleeper'. The 500, in my humble opinion, offers the best balance between performance and running costs.

Try the 320 and if you are truly happy with performance then by all means buy it and save yourself some money. However, if you have any doubts at all, drive the 320 and the 500 back-to-back. I'd be very surprised if anyone compares the two in this way and then chooses the 320. Next to the 500 it has to work too hard to move this huge and heavy automobile. It will get the job done, but has to work so hard that it lacks not only pace, but also refinement. Who spends S Class money and expects to hear the engine struggle ? The 500 moves the car with authority, giving it a surprisingly agile feel. Still not the road rocket that the 600 is - but then most buyers would look elsewhere for an outright performance car anyway.

3rd Oct 2002, 17:54

I, just purchased a 2000 S500 with 10,000 miles. What a great carit is. Do I need to buy the extended warranty and any sugestions as to which one.

1st Mar 2003, 21:46

Extended warranties are (unless your covering Huge mileage) a waste of money, weigh up the cost in relation to likley faults and I suspect you will realize the standard one is more than long enough.

1st Apr 2003, 10:01

The 320 is underpowered in the hilly areas of US northeast, particularly in the S class and not the E. Mine is very durable, but even the small 8 is much better on the hills. Had a 560 SEL before and believe it was built better and had tremendous power, sorry I sold it. BBR.

18th May 2003, 08:20

I bought the S320L from Abu Dhabi UAE thinking it is a great car as told by some friends,2 years down the road the car is a piece of luxury, but lately some defects are showing up. i hope the company will attend to it. Some problems are almost all electronics controls malfunction during summer & high humidity, the cares are corroding very badly from bottom, the side fenders & other rubber items seems to release a raisin spoiling the look of the car. The local agency must inform users to get these defects rectified. When I tried to exchange Car the company is asking for a very fat extra charge for 320L replacement with S350 by amortizing the existing car by 50% in 2 years.

9th Oct 2008, 17:38

Wiper blade-you could change only a rubber by yourself and it ain`t cost a thing. After all reviews I don know what to do. Buy a s class or not..

2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S500 5.0 V8 from Australia and New Zealand

Engine and transmission 5.0 V8 Automatic
Previous carHonda Legend

Summary:

Angel on wheels

Nothing.

General Comments:

I was really impressed with this car when I first saw it.

It's absolutely beautiful to look at, and the interior has a real awesome presence, you feel like a million bucks when you're driving this car.

I love the way the doors close for you when they are slightly ajar.

The seats are comfortable, but insist on getting the higher quality leather, not the standard stuff.

It's real peaceful driving it plus the suspension is awesome, it literally glides on air.

What was disappointing was the quality of the paint work - I felt that it was un-Mercedes like to be covered in small paint pits from stones or whatever after only having the vehicle for a very small period of time.

This is something that Mercedes has to sort out.

Apart from that I think it's one of the most beautiful cars to own.

Review Date: 3rd August, 2001

23rd Nov 2001, 06:09

Regarding the paint chipping.

It's a common problem with all Mercedes these days since the adoption of the new non-toxic paint. It's weak and does not withstand any form of punishment.

Porsche would be one of the very best vehicles paint & finish wise, 10 out of 10. Then BMW and VW. Mercedes has got to come in fairly low in the paint quality.

2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class 600 V12 from North America