2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class 430L 4.3 V8 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

The best car ever made

I have only only my S Class 430L a short time so I will add any comments if problems arise, lets hope I don't have to!

Only problem so far is that the dashboard illumination on these fails, mine is booked into Mercedes for free replacement dashboard clocks, apparently there is a recent recall on these!

Some minor rust scabs on one front wing, Mercedes Uk claim a 30 year warranty on rust so will update on any developments!

General Comments:

Amazing car! I guess until you drive the Mercedes S Class you will never appreciate it!

As a used buy you can pick these up now for the price of a new, but nasty mid range Japanese saloon car!

Sweet V8 4.3 Litre engine, that in normal cruising cannot be heard, but with a ear friendly burble when pushed hard.

Economy is brilliant for its size, I got 30mpg on a long run! Does drop to well under 20mpg about town, but who cares, you will enjoy driving the s class so much!

My car has covered over 130,000 miles, but the engine is as sweet as new! Not surprising as in normal driving you barely need to exceed 2000rpm.

Its astounding the extras in these, still working everything out.

Double glazed, voice controlled sat nav, built in fridge, massage seats! I could go on!

A really pleasant car to drive, even when stuck in a traffic jam!

Review Date: 20th January, 2007

2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S500 5.0 from North America

Summary:

Best luxury car in it's class and handles like a champ

S500 letters are begging to peel in the back.

Sometimes the air bag light comes on when I start the car and stays on for about 45 sec, but then goes off.

General Comments:

Best Luxury car in it's class.

Performs like a sports car.

Gas mileage is OK.

Very comfortable and quiet interior.

Wonderful technology.

Dealer service is a bit expensive, but they do a great job.

Everyone must have one.

Review Date: 18th April, 2005

31st Dec 2005, 04:16

I personally feel that most mercedes owners are satisfied people, whether they have bought it new or used. This is an inspiration that has brought an idea to my mind. I want to buy a black S class AMG sometime after at least 5 years. I don't want to lease it, but pay for it in full right on the delivery date, even before that. I am not a rich guy so 5 years will be the least time for me to save that much money. I am adding all this information because I don't want to read any comments saying strange things-this man is a cheater, if he would be that rich how come he would be asking this question on this forum, etc, etc-as I have seen.

I plan to keep the mercedes as a second car, but will take it coast to coast every year, that will be around 10,000 miles every year. I want to calculate as to for how many years will I be able to keep it at its best, well almost. Now answer the questions below keeping in mind the data provided above:

1- How long does the black showroom-shine lasts?

2- How is the reliability when travelling long distances in one-go?

3- What is the second best colour to black for S class?

4- What about theft?

Thankyou.

2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 4.3L V8 petrol from North America

Summary:

2001 Mercedes-Benz S430 - a wonderful driving experience, and highly recommended!

Zero things have gone wrong with my 2001 S430.

General Comments:

Extremely pleased with the 2001 Mercedes-Benz S430 long wheelbase. Exceptionally quiet, roomy, well-appointed, and very spirited performance. Fuel economy superb, for such a large car (26 mpg, combined city/highway).

Beautiful interior. Very bright, flowing, organic forms, throughout. Leather seats and alcantara trim throughout are exquisite, and the calyptus wood accents are very tasteful.

I could not get the car to misbehave, even in the slightest, on snow or glare ice, and this car is only 2 wheel drive. The stability program works amazingly well.

I am 6'4", so driver leg room and headroom are crucial. I could adjust the driver's seat so that my feet could not reach the brake or accelerator pedals, which was something I could not do in any other vehicle that I tested. Seats were very firm - the way I like them - less fatiguing - and very comfortable, regardless of trip duration.

The integrated COMAND GPS/audio system was not all that difficult for me to master, and it functioned flawlessly. I ordered the dealer-option trunk-mounted 5 CD changer, and it functioned perfectly, too. The Bose premium stereo system is phenomenal.

The 4.3 liter (260 cu. in.) V8 engine is superb, and provides more than adequate thrust off the line, and for passing at highway speeds, as well. Dead-quiet at idle, but gorgeous, subdued V-8 "burble" and growl sounds, when it gets up and talks. Bear in mind, this is only the S430. Its bigger brother, the S500 (5.0 liter V8, 302 cu. in.) gives more performance, but at considerably more cost - about $8,900 USD more, for only 27 more horsepower, so the overall driving experience is more a difference in degree, rather than kind. The S430 is really the sweet spot, in terms of overall performance/value.

I considered the 2001 BMW 745il, but to my eye, the overall curb appeal was lacking, particularly since this body style was essentially unchanged since 1996, so it was rather stale (the 2002 BMW 7-class would not be out for another year, and as it turned out, the styling to me was very jarring and disjointed, particularly with regard to the rear end treatments.)

An all-around beautiful car, and a wonderful driving experience.

Review Date: 1st January, 2005

18th Feb 2008, 20:22

I had one and it was a lemon. Electronics worse than the reputation of Jaguars.