1982 Mercedes-Benz W123 240D 2.4 litre diesel from North America

Summary:

If you need a car that can be mended with a brick and a piece of string... This is it

A little rust around the edges.

Vacuum locks no longer work.

Cruise control no longer works.

Transmission linkage needs adjustment.

Heater blower motor switch broke stuck on '2'.

Threw a set of glow plugs in right after I bought it. Now I don't have to use my block heater at all!

General Comments:

These W123 cars are fantastic. This car was bought for $800 as a winter beater, and it has turned out to love the punishment.

When I purchased the car, it was slow and smokey. I have driven it hard, and it has become a clean burning, relatively quick (for a 3,500lb car) ride.

Maintenance is super easy, and cheap to boot, so long as you stay away from specialists and dealers. These cars were designed to last forever, and it shows.

I have started this car down to 8˚F and it starts easier than most gasoline cars. I expect it would start at temperatures below 0 degrees as well. BUT YOU MUST FOLLOW THE OWNERS MANUAL! Mix the diesel with kerosene (70/30 at temperatures between 15 and 32˚F, and below 15˚F = 50/50 mix) pump the accelerator 3x and hold to the floor. Crank the engine and it will start.

See video for example in 8˚F:

Review Date: 26th February, 2008

1982 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D 3.0 turbo diesel from North America

Summary:

An excellent auto

Nothing, an excellent auto, this one is a 10.

General Comments:

I purchased the car with all the maint. records since new. car has no rust, the A/C has been converted to R134A. I get approx. 23 MPG to and from work, about 6 stops each way. Haven't had it on the road yet.

I looked for 1-1/2 yrs. before finding this one.

Review Date: 2nd February, 2008

1982 Mercedes-Benz W123 240D from North America

Summary:

The key to a long life is moderation

I have not experienced any problems with this fine piece of equipment. Does me right everyday.

General Comments:

I found an amazing deal on the car from the original owner. It had a smoking problem upon startup and she seemed to think that is was a costly fix. I have yet to see a 240D that doesn't blow a little smoke so I went for it. Turned out to be a smart move. I have put 10,000 miles on the car with no problems. I'm currently planning to take the car on a 9,000 mile trip around Canada and the United States. Wish me luck!

If you don't mind excessive consumption of oil (1 quart per 100mi) and 65 horse power then this car is for you.

9000mi/100=90 quarts!

The beast also loves bio diesel. I Regularly run b100 in it.

Review Date: 27th February, 2005

24th Nov 2005, 07:04

With that sort of oil consumption I would say you have a problem, perhaps with the valve stem seals.

23rd Aug 2008, 16:27

Sounds like the engine is a bit of a blowing duck, run it till it loses compression then rebuild.

30th Oct 2008, 16:58

The engine is worn, but don't cry, it will probably last another 50,000 miles. Just treat it good and use 20/50 oil, and you will be OK. Rebuild the engine and the car will last forever!

26th Sep 2010, 21:01

1 Qt per 100 miles? Wow, there is certainly a problem.

This is 2010 so hopefully you have figured out the consumption issue...

1982 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D TurboDiesel 5 cylinder turbo diesel from North America

Summary:

I don't drive my other two cars anymore!

When I got the car it had blow by and oil leaks. Not much power. It needed tires. It would keep stalling. The tachometer didn't work. The odometer worked, but not the speedometer. It would shake on the highway. The transmission would slip when shifting. They were asking $2000 and I used the problems to get the price of the car down to $1200.

General Comments:

I changed the fuel filter and increased the engine idle speed (no more stalling).I put a high performance air intake on and made a new oil vapor separator (no more oil leaks and blow by acceptable). After adding some engine restore to the oil the blowby is almost gone, fuel economy has gone from 22 miles to the gallon to 27 miles to the gallon and the car can do over 100 mph with only 1/3 the gas pedal. I fixed the tachometer (loose wire at tach drive). I took apart the speedometer and cleaned it (now works). I adjusted the transmission modulator and changed the fluid (now only slips When cold, no need to worry, no metal was in the pan). New tires=no more shake on the highway. The body of the car is rust free! It has the power of a small 8cyl with the economy of large 4cyl. Easy to work on if you know how. Normal wear and tear parts are cheap.

Review Date: 9th November, 2004

26th Jun 2005, 03:28

I just inherited a 1982 300D turbo. I don't know much about diesel. I do know gas engines. I am trying to get the car back to its capability. How did you adjust the modulate valve on the tranny? How did you make a new oil vapor separator? What do you mean by high performance air intake?

28th Apr 2006, 07:07

I too would like to know what you mean by "made my own oil vapor separator". I am having blow by as well. I'll try the engine restore. What type did you use?

Thanks.