1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 Reviews - Page 3 of 10

Model year1983
Engine and transmission 2 liter Manual
Most recent distance420000 kilometres
Previous carPeugeot 404

Summary:

They don't make them like this anymore

Replaced timing chain and tensioner as soon as I got the car. Also replaced the radiator with a used, reconditioned unit. Overhauled the engine after about a year of ownership. Had driver's seat springs fixed Nothing went wrong ever since overhaul.

General Comments:

Unbelievable quality, very rigid suspension. Fitted a sony radio/CD changer, which came out of my beloved Peugeot 404 which was written off (another sad story..)

My car is very quiet, especially on the open road, considering the age and mileage. Low insurance and maintenance costs, as I do the servicing myself. Amazingly service spares are cheaper from the dealer than spares shops!

Review Date: 5th July, 2007

1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 200T 2 Litre 4 cylinder petrol from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 2 Litre 4 cylinder petrol Manual
Previous carVolkswagen Type II

Summary:

Beautiful Classic

Central Locking not working.

Clunk from exhaust.

Sunroof will not lock in place when open.

General Comments:

I bought this old Merc as a fun car to replace my VW Camper and I have fallen in love with it.

It is a very basic specification model with four speed manual gear change and cloth upholstery.

The doors close with an excellent quality clunk and the car is covered in lovely chrome details including roof rails and wheel covers (with body colour centres)

Since having the car I have repaired the broken drivers seat base and replaced the worn driver seat cover with a replacement from a Merc specialist in the UK.

The car is a real pleasure to drive it wafts down the road like only a Mercedes can.

I have had W124 and W210 E class Mercs before and they always have the same essential character.

People will always tell you that you shouldn't buy a Merc with a manual transmission or without leather etc, but at the right price an odd spec car can give you a great deal of pleasure.

The spares back up for W123s is excellent both from dealers and specialists.

Review Date: 1st December, 2006

1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D turbo diesel from North America

Year of manufacture1983
Engine and transmission turbo diesel Automatic

Summary:

My Mercedes SAVED MY LIFE!

The car had trouble with the heater. It would only come on if I said a special prayer or whacked the dashboard.

It leaked oil like the Exxon Valdez.

I had to replace the motor mounts.

General Comments:

Okay, my Mercedes sounded like a truck and smelled like a semi, but I LOVED THIS CAR! My kids always joked that it was a piece of junk and they hated to drive it because it was so heavy.

What I learned is heavy metal is where it's at. October first, I was hit by a drunk in an SUV going 70mph. She hit my back and then she hit me again driver's side. My heavy metal ate up her front end. Although I have spinal injuries, had I been in any other car, I could have been dead.

When it was time to get a replacement vehicle everyone said get a Japanese car. I am the proud owner of a 1979 Mercedes 300 Diesel.

Review Date: 7th November, 2006

15th Nov 2006, 17:37

I own a 1983 mercedes benz 240d. I would just like to say that I love my car and would not trade it for nothing in the world. also 70mph is no where a minor accident.

26th Nov 2006, 10:06

These were really safe cars. There was no need for things like airbags and all these new gadgets. They were engineered safely. That writer who said it is a minor accident surely did not owned a Mercedes. So better keep your mouth shut about safety. You are welcome to go ahead and take a new car and test the safety with an accident like the one mentioned. You will probably not survive it.

1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D diesel from North America

Model year1983
Engine and transmission diesel Manual
Distance when acquired190000 miles
Most recent distance205000 miles
Previous carOldsmobile Oldsmobile

Summary:

Classic reliability that's hard to find in today's cars!

Heater core needs replacing.

Sunroof off track.

Belts beginning to wear and squeak.

Wood trim on dashboard falling off.

Tends to go through a fair amount of oil.

Lots of rust on the doors (but then again, I live in a state with lots of snow!).

Dashboard is cracked in several places.

General Comments:

With the exception of some cosmetic faults (see above), this car is an absolute dream. I am the second owner, as the original owner purchased the car in Germany and had it shipped to the States. It had 190000 miles on it when we got it (and it was already 12 years old), but it still runs great.

Since it's not a turbo diesel, it is a little doggy when first taking off. It definitely is not built for instant speed (like any diesel). However, it starts incredibly well for a diesel, especially since we're in a cold climate. It'll start fine even on a 0 degree day!

As for cruising, I can't ask for a better ride. It's smooth and handles great. Tons of leg room in front and back make for a pleasant ride for all in the car.

The mileage isn't the greatest (about 25 MPG on a good day), but it's comfort and reliability make up for it.

Review Date: 17th October, 2006