2000 Mercury Cougar from North America
This car will eat your paycheck
- Timing belt snapped at 117,000 miles, causing all the heads to warp (had to replace the engine).
- After replacing the engine, the gas pedal wouldn't work sometimes going up hills or trying to accelerate. After a few seconds it would finally kick in. (This freaked me out when trying to scoot through a busy intersection!) Eventually it quit doing that on its own.
- Goes through batteries like crazy.
- Trunk latch doesn't work, I have to open it manually.
- Motor for the AC died at 120,000, had to replace it.
- Check engine light stays on, every time I have it checked out they say it is the O2 sensors. I have had them replaced 4 times, check engine light still on.
- Car jerks/stutters when the RPM's are under 2,000 (just started doing this at 125,000 miles) Kind of like it doesn't want to go.
- Rubber piece on the drivers side window keeps popping up, like the glue was bad.
- Defrost vents in the front keep popping out.
- If I left it idle for more than a few minutes on cold mornings, the flashing airbag light comes on and stays on.
- The heat is terrible, it takes me 20 minutes to get to work and the air has barely warmed up to more than the outside temp by the time I get there.
It does get awesome gas mileage! I get about 31 city and 35 hwy.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? No
Review Date: 5th November, 2008