1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse Reviews

1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse 2.0L 16v DOHC turbo from North America

Year of manufacture1993
Engine and transmission 2.0L 16v DOHC turbo Manual
Previous carChevrolet Corsica

Summary:

Avoid this car. It is nothing but trouble

A lot has gone wrong with this car.

70,030 miles; Cooling System had a meltdown when the radiator cracked, and made the car overheat.

72,000 miles; Starter went out.

83,441 miles; Turbo quit working (never fixed).

86,493 miles; Gas mileage dropped to 19 mpg.

The car was sent to the junk yard.

General Comments:

I paid 2 grand cash for this car, and I should have not even bought it if I would have known all the problems that were going to happen.

The car was really quick and handled really well; that is the reason for selling my previous most reliable Corsica, that managed to almost hit 200,000 miles.

The car was kind of comfortable. The looks of it were nice too, but the car was far from reliable.

Review Date: 14th October, 2010

14th Oct 2010, 09:14

"94,449 miles; Timing belt snapped and the engine was damaged due to interference."

Did you ever read the manual for this car or research the service intervals? You have a car that needs the belt changed at 60K miles. The fact that you made it into the 90K range is pretty amazing. You can't fault the car for things you just ignored that are posted service intervals. The worn belt may have been the reason for your mileage drop as well.

Do your research! It'll save you tons of money. Cars aren't meant to be bought and just driven.

1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 1.8L SOHC from North America

Model year1993
Year of manufacture1992
First year of ownership1999
Engine and transmission 1.8L SOHC Automatic
Distance when acquired72000 miles

Summary:

Don't buy it without a maintenance record

The water pump went out at 74000 miles.

Relay switch for the cooling fans shorted at 80,000 miles, causing the coolant in the radiator to boil over.

Timing belt broke at about 90,000. (Since it was pre-owned, I can't tell you for sure that it was my fault.)

Engine blew at 93,000 miles.

Overdrive burned up at 100,000 miles.

Second timing belt in second engine at 110,000 miles.

CV joint boots deteriorate every 30,000 miles.

The first engine smoked due to faulty valve seals. The second engine smoked due to faulty valve rings, and now leaks oil through every possible facet on the engine block. The hydraulics for the hatchback stopped holding up the immense weight of the back window. The weather stripping has been frayed since I got the car. The passenger-side window pops off the track when trying to roll it up. The original stock headlamps are yellowed and dim. The whole car shakes constantly, and there's a big crack in my dashboard.

General Comments:

As much as I've tried over the six years I've owned the car to keep it out of the shop, it just winds up right back in it. I will admit that I may not have taken the best care of the car, but it's gotten its regular oil changes and the best servicing I've been able to manage without a service schedule and a user's manual and it's still been hell to deal with.

Its first 72,000 miles are unknown to me. I imagine it might have been better if it had been well-cared for from the start. If you're buying it without a detailed maintenance record and don't plan on spending a lot of money on preventative maintenance, go buy a Honda.

Review Date: 5th June, 2005

1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2.0 from North America

Model year1993
Year of manufacture1993

Summary:

The Eclipse is a mechanically bad car, but cozy and beautiful

Within my 3 months of owning my Eclipse the transmission was so shot that it almost fell out of my car. When I brought it to the shop the workers laughed at me.

I had to Give it a tune up almost every month.

It would skip gears on me. (It was an automatic.)

I stall every time I am driving and come to a stop and begin to go again.

Weird smells come from the heating system. (Even when fixed.)

I have had four major gas leacks and fixed them all at a high price.

I spent a lot of money on hard to find parts.

Parts on the interior of my driver side door began to fall off. (Paneling, foam stuff, knobs, interior paneling on top of paneling.)

My visors fell off.

The back windshield whipper motor broke.

To top everything off, it was broken into about four times. (It is a very attractive car.)

General Comments:

This car passes nicely.

It catches speed well on the highway.

The Eclipse is a very cute car.

The Eclipse is a very comfortable car and is nice to sit in.

There are a lot of aftermarket parts to make this car look more beautiful than it already is.

Review Date: 7th February, 2005