1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2.0 DOHC from North America

Summary:

A darn good ride for a darn good price

The water pumped went bad.

A few gauges don't work anymore.

The timing belt slipped.

General Comments:

This car is a very nice car.

It is very dependable and is very comfortable.

The shocks are the best on the market for high performance cars like this.

Review Date: 3rd August, 2004

1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2.0L Non-turbo from North America

Summary:

Solid quality, good styling!

When I first drove the car it had no problems whatsoever. The dealer had been hiding some problems on the car though and I ended up paying out about 1000 in repairs before it was finally ready.

After those repairs I had absolutely 0 problems.

General Comments:

The car was very strongly built and could take my abuse to it. The 1st gen motors were well built and easily modded.

Despite the lack of turbo, I think the car could have had a bit more power, but it was still acceptable.

Enjoyed the features: This car had everything! Loaded with features and a power sunroof.

The styling was great especially in the shifter. I loved and now miss my Eclipse. If it weren't for a slippery day in April when an underclassman slid through a yield sign, I would still be driving my beauty today. I loved the car and I miss it very much. Very very solid!

Review Date: 4th July, 2004

1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse Base 1.8L 4 cylinder non-turbo from North America

Summary:

A good car once I fix the transmission or find out whats the matter with it

Front bumpers is cracked a lot in a bunch of places.

When you shift the transmission in reverse or drive the car idles down like normal, but doesn't move the car you can sit there and just press the gas and revs up, but doesn't go anywhere.

General Comments:

Does anyone know whats wrong with my transmission?

Review Date: 5th May, 2004

3rd Feb 2005, 22:20

The disc's for reverse may be worn down. A.K.A. you will need to re build or replace the transmission. (i know because it happened to my Acura, but not catching it in time now the whole transmission is gone.

1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2.0 from North America

Summary:

It's cheap, fast and very good looking

I have not had many problems with this car. The only thing I don't like about it is that it eats oil very fast. I have only had the car for about 7 months, but its been great and it never lets me down. The gas mileage is not bad either.

General Comments:

I have noticed people say the paint fades away. My paint is in great shape. All you need to do it wash your car from time to time and it will stay in great shape. I wash mine once a week and that helps with the looks a lot. My car may be 11 years old, but I still see people in cars from Honda's to BMW's staring at my car as I drive by. I love the attention.

Review Date: 3rd March, 2004

1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2.0L DOHC from North America

Summary:

A lot of bang for the buck

There is a valve tap that acts up right when I turn it over in cold weather, but an oil detergent and letting it warm up smooths things out.

Passenger side sun visor was gone when I bought it and the hydraulic struts for the trunk lid are just plain shot.

General Comments:

Its been the best car I've owned. It has LOTS of pep and a little zoom around 3000-3500 rpm. Its the feeling that if I step on the gas Ill take off that I never got in my old civic hatchback. I can merge without feeling like I'm going to get run over by faster traffic.

Review Date: 1st December, 2003

1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2.0 Non turbo from North America

Summary:

Costly, unreliable sports coupe

I bought the car in March of 2002 and in October of 2002 the transmission died. It cost me $1,500 to replace and it after I got it back the axle blew (i don't make any sharp turns) causing the transmission fluid to leak out.

Needed another transmission rebuild (under warranty).

When braking in reverse (especially in humid or wet weather) the car makes the loudest groaning noise I have ever heard. It is extremely embarrassing and annoying.

I took it to 2 seperate mechanics and they said that everything was OK.

The engine mounts went sour 2 months after I got the car, making it shake horribly.

General Comments:

I maintain this car very well for the short time I've had it.

I change the oil every 2,500-3,000 miles. Replaced the ignition wires and spark plugs with Mitsubishi recommended NGK plugs and wires.

Put 4 new Continental tires on it along with a full wheel alignment, new pads and belts.

The ride is comfortable for a sports coupe. Even for a tall person it has sufficient room.

The car handles surprisingly well in all types of weather.

The car lacks low end power, but once it gets going it is OK.

Mitsubishi makes this car is a 1.8 Single Over Head Cam Liter engine, 2.0 Dual Over Head Cam Non-turbo (which is what I have) and a 2.0 Liter Dual Overhead Cam Turbo engine. I.

I'm looking to buy a 93 Turbo All wheel drive Eclipse cause they fly and have tougher transmissions.

Going with anything less than the 2.0 Non turbo is a waste of money.

Review Date: 17th November, 2002

2nd Mar 2004, 12:42

Hehe, my Eclipse does the same thing in cold, wet weather. It groans incredibly loud. I have a '93 Eclipse, 2.0L DOHC GS. Doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it though...

26th Mar 2004, 20:42

I have the same problem, I just changed the brake pads, rotors, it's all new, and it is doing that freaky noise, nobody can't find anything about it, may be something that is 'normally accepted'...