1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Reviews - Page 4 of 11

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder 4 cylinder. from North America

Model year1999
Engine and transmission 4 cylinder. Manual
Previous carSaturn SL1

Summary:

Fun, but EXPENSIVE!!!

The clutch was bad from the moment I bought the car. Dealer repaired.

The convertible top began to act up IMMEDIATLEY! Top BROKE in three pieces. The automatic top stopped working. Whats the point of having a convertible, if you can't use it?

Windows stopped working, they will not go up or down. If you get them down they will not go up and vice-versa.

The alternator and belts had to be replaced three times.

The engine mounts broke.

The radiator cap wasn't secure and the fluid leaked out leaving me stranded 200 miles from home.

Now the car is losing power in first gear and then gets a sudden burst of power after about 10 seconds of pushing the gas down to get it to go. This is most disturbing when you are in the middle of an intersection.

Keep in mind I did not race this car, or treat it harshly.

General Comments:

FUN TO DRIVE! Very high maintenance though. Only buy if you can sink a LOT of money into the car in a short amount of time.

Review Date: 23rd July, 2005

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS Spyder from North America

Model year1999
Previous carPontiac Grand Am

Summary:

Thought the car was my dream car-turned out to be my worst nightmare!

Convertible top leaked horribly.

Windows rattled.

Material in back window sagged.

Back drivers side window motor broke.

General Comments:

I purchased the car used in 2004.Car is a huge money pit. Had it for one year and was in the shop 4 times for the convertible top. Had to have the frame replaced within 1 month of owning it. Both motors in top broke at the same time which costs about $1,500 to repair. Since the convertible top was pretty much the only thing not covered in my warranty, I had to keep shelling out the money myself for repairs. Top leaked in even the lightest of rain. Had to trade car in after one year because I couldn't deal with the problems anymore.

Review Date: 7th June, 2005

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS 2.4 SOHC from North America

Engine and transmission 2.4 SOHC Automatic
Distance when acquired12000 miles
Previous carMitsubishi Eclipse

Summary:

It is a wonderful vehicle

Ever since I bought the car, I have been experiencing horrible leaks through the rear window, also water leaks on the driver and passenger side.

General Comments:

This engine has a solid structure, the 2.4 engine is now turbocharged, it is running 12 pounds off boost with stock internals, the fuel system has been heavily modified, as well as the exhaust system, and I must say that considering that it was naturally aspirated engine now using a turbocharger, it handles extremely well the forced induction, it is a magnificent car.

Review Date: 24th August, 2004

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS from North America

Previous carNissan Altima

Summary:

It's a very fun car to drive!

The top leaks a little at the front corner of both the driver side and passenger side windows. A small amount of water does get in when washing the car or in really heavy rains.

The driver's door power console is sinking into the door. This is due to the plastic seats for the screws inside the console cracking and subsequently breaking. Fortunately, I can fix this myself with an $85 replacement part.

My biggest complaint is the black "tar" or sealant that drips out of the bottom of the doors onto the sill plate, and is now beginning to seep out of the seals around the top. It is sticky and if you get it on anything - it will not come off! The dealer wanted over $500 to remove it from inside both doors. I'm going to try to remove it myself.

General Comments:

I love the way the car handles.

It's 5 years old, but still run well and turns heads!

Review Date: 29th July, 2004

5th Aug 2004, 07:58

We too have the same problem with our '99 Spyder. The top leaks around the front corners. The driver's door control does fall into the door. I will say that this vehicle was involved in a T-Bone collision a couple months ago. It withstood the impact extremely well. I will most like buy a Mitsubishi again.

9th May 2005, 11:22

Well with my 99' eclipse convertible I had the same deal with the water leaking at the front corners, but everything else is great I have a clean system and it runs great! Is there any way to stop the leaking? But, If I do decide to sell my eclipse what kind of car do you recommend I heard the nissan 350z is a great choice. But I don't know I love my Car so much!