21st Feb 2013, 15:26

Going by the comments on here, it sounds like the 2.4s give trouble, but the 1800s are OK.

31st Mar 2014, 18:14

To be honest, don't get a GDI. I'm a mechanic and I've been stuck fixing my 98 Legnum for the past week. A lot of smoke, and now the gas has oil in it for some reason.

21st Apr 2014, 03:12

Kia ora. Do the fuel tanks on a 1997 Legnum have a bung? If so, where is it located???

12th May 2014, 22:52

I have a Legnum ST GDI 1.8, just picked it up, runs well (fingers crossed), and won't cause me too many problems in future. Very tidy. It's very economical, I'm happy on this front.

Never put 91 octane in these cars, it will ruin them.

I had a company car, a Mitsubishi Carisma, back in 2001. Same engine, only 2 years old at the time, put 91 in it by mistake, hissed and missed non-stop for ages. I should have just sucked the 91 fuel out of it, instead of running it through with higher octane fuel and an octane fuel booster additive.

The higher the octane the better for these vehicles...

13th May 2014, 15:35

Sorry, what's "kia ora"?

8th Aug 2014, 04:39

It means hello in Maori.

4th Dec 2014, 05:57

I have just bought a Legnum GDI SW. What is the best fuel for it to run on please? It has 91 at the moment; do I have to run it to very low before I put different petrol in, or what do I do please? Which petrol should I use?

Cheers, NZ Girl.

6th Dec 2014, 22:59

Never, ever run a GDI on 91 fuel - always at the very least 95, but best for it is the 97. You'll end up with problems with 91 on those cars. Don't wait until the fuel is low.

16th Feb 2015, 07:12

Yes!! I have read through every forum. I have had all the same problems. I took off the throttle body and intake, cleaned out an ice cream container of carbon build up out of the intake, throttle body and intake ports, and it went great for maybe 10 km, but still had the same problem.

So after hundreds of dollars spent on throttle body cleaner, injector cleaner trying to clean nonexistent carbon left overs, I decide that even though all cylinders were firing (very inconsistently), that I would buy some new spark plugs, I put in the plugs today and now I feel so stupid for how much I spent on dead ends. I nearly bought coil packs, torque converter... If anyone has rough idle and horrible acceleration, I would definitely spend the 20$ for a set of plugs before even trying anything else, although removing carbon build up in the intake and throttle body is not a bad idea. I also found if I sprayed through throttle body cleaner, the car went great for a few km, which was why I didn't think it was spark, but I was wrong. Definitely spark plugs,

7th Jul 2015, 06:55

Hi there. I own a 98 Mitsubishi Legnum. Been running it on 91 petrol, but new spark plugs, and changed the gas to 98, but it won't start and the engine light is flashing on and off. Does anybody have an idea on what the problem maybe?? Thanks in advance...

6th Dec 2015, 03:02

Mate, I've had mine for 11 years now. They're the best car I could ever own; I love it. On the open road I will challenge any car, but when it comes to hills, she gets a bit shy, but best on gas.

97 Legum ST V6 - the best car out there.

13th Apr 2016, 06:59

Hi there everyone. I bought a 1997 Legnum ST in November last year. Just clocked over to 295000 the other day. I tried 95 when I bought it, then the next week I did 98. Haven't looked back. I get an extra 20 to 25 km out of it, and so smooth, but just wondering what is the best fluid for the auto gearbox?

13th Apr 2016, 20:22

From what I am aware, Mitsubishi (like Honda) uses a particular type of fluid; competent automatic transmission repair shops should know this, else the dealership parts department will have it available.