1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max Pickup from North America - Comments

30th May 2012, 11:20

It is my understanding that this is an interference engine. If your timing belt came off, it is likely that you have major damage.

31st May 2012, 10:00

"excessive water vapor from my exhaust" = Blown head gasket.

7th Aug 2012, 17:51

I cracked two heads on my 1987 Mitsubishi Mighty Max 2.0.

The first time, I found out that my EGR valve was not working. It turned out that the vacuum operated solenoid for the EGR valve was not working.

The second time was a bad radiator cap, which caused it to run hotter. I also replaced the radiator itself.

So my advice is to check those things, and also make sure your timing is set to factory specs. My runs fine now, and a lot cooler.

Hope this helps...

8th Jan 2013, 17:22

Hey. Don't you live in or near Winston Salem NC? I just bought a 89 Mighty Max Macro Cab with the automatic transmission with 73,000 original miles. Supposedly. However Carfax verified the mileage, so who knows.

My issue is this. It feels like the truck is not going into overdrive. It feels like it is just making it into 3rd gear.

Are those transmissions 4 or 5 speeds, and is there a light that comes on when the overdrive off button is depressed?

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

How much trouble is it to switch it over to 5 speed I wonder?

Anyway. Thanks for your time.

Todd Fain 336-918-4712

9th Jan 2013, 22:31

I had the same problem and discovered it was a blown fuse. Save your money and don't take it to a tranny shop. You can change the fuse yourself in the fuse box. The overdrive light will come on when depressed. The cause of the fuse being blown was the wire from the gear shifter overdrive button was stripped and grounding on the metal... Hope this helps.

Add another comment