1985 Nissan 720 Pickup ST 2.4 liter z24 from North America

Summary:

I love this little truck; it will be around forever

Well right now it overheats, so I've got it sitting in the shop. I work on it when I've got the time.

About a month ago the master cylinder went out, and I got a small hole in the driver side seat.

General Comments:

This truck has got me through several winters, and I have never got it stuck. The handling; it's kinda hard to turn, but I like it.

It's very nice truck that will be with me till I am dead.

Review Date: 5th July, 2007

23rd Jul 2013, 00:25

Try having your radiator professionally cleaned -- I didn't and then had to replace the head gasket! 412,000 miles, and this is the first time the engine required work. Bought it new 1984, NEVER regretted it.

22nd Aug 2013, 21:02

How do you get the radiator professionally cleaned? Who does it?

1985 Nissan 720 Pickup 4 cylinder, 5-speed from North America

Summary:

Zippy, Reliable 16-year-old's Dream On Wheels!

Friend's friend took the pickup on a very wild unpaved road and tore out the exhaust system. No muffler.

Pickup has a terrible miss. Caused by a lack of maintenance by the previous owner. Sometimes it will backfire sharply.

The 720's interior is dirty--and with a capital "D." Spent shotgun shells, leaves, and dirt litter the floor and dashboard.

Turn signals work when they want to.

Windshield wipers not working--can only drive on good days.

The ignition is only a big hole with a slot in it where the keyhole once was. I use a flat head screwdriver to start it.

Brake light will not turn off.

Sometimes if I park it on an incline, the parking brake will not hold the pickup if it's in neutral.

Windshield in terrible shape. In some spots I've patched the holes with duct tape. A new one is on the way.

Air conditioning sometimes will work. When it does blow, it is usually very warm. I just roll the windows down.

General Comments:

Despite some of the shortcomings and abuse that this pickup has taken, I really love driving it. It's a fun, zippy truck.

I've gotten it up to 70 without a problem.

During the winter (a Montana one, mind you), the 720 is parked outside. This spring, it started right up with a few pumps of the gas pedal. This truck is impossible to kill.

Body has held up great. The frame and body panels still have the original paint and there is no rust ANYWHERE on this truck.

Manual 5-speed still shifts smoothly. Clutch is still biting strong, even at 168,000 miles. It is the original.

It's very loud when cruising down the roads. Every time I drive it, neighbors think it has a V8 in it. But, it's just a reliable 4 cylinder.

It's a pretty spartan truck. It has no power windows, locks, steering, mirrors, cruise control, or automatic transmission. Just more things that can break. It gets the job done as being a reliable hunting/fishing (soon to be maybe painting, too) truck without all those luxuries.

I love this truck. If you are a teenager (I'm 16) and want something that will not cost you a lot to buy, insure, and fix, this is it!

Review Date: 1st August, 2006

10th May 2007, 20:32

I agree man I'm 16 and drive an 83 Nissan 4x4 and I show all my friends in the mud it will not get stuck...I've tried. it has flow-master exhaust and for a 4 cylinder its pretty darn loud and it runs slick as snot it has 32.11.50 timberline tires on it and they will pull son. But yeah it's a bad truck.

24th Aug 2013, 04:31

Any vehicle will be cheap to run if you don't fix any of the problems with it.

25th Aug 2013, 10:53

True, but the reviewer's truck sounds like it would not be worth spending even a dime on maintenance!

17th Jan 2014, 19:56

LOL, I live in Belize, where every street is basically off road. I got a 1985 720 from my dad, a 2WD so it's low; tore the exhaust off 3 times driving in the city. Decided not to fix it again.

I take my truck on 300 miles road trips. A couple of new tires and a one barrel carb from a Ford Ranger, and it runs perfect; not bad for a truck that's older than me and has 350000 miles on the dash.