1986 Nissan 720 Pickup 2.4 from North America

Summary:

It's a tough looking truck that's good on gas with plenty of pep

Needs 2 axles and a rear main seal.

General Comments:

Awesome truck. Traded even and don't regret it one bit. Good on gas and worth the money to fix it up.

Review Date: 11th July, 2008

1986 Nissan 720 Pickup SE 3.0 V6 from North America

Summary:

Nissan trucks are awesome

My Nissan 720 King Cab is an SE V6.

I bought the truck with the transmission bad. We replaced the tranny and a few other items, then the oil pressure dropped and the motor started knocking. We have now replaced the motor.

General Comments:

I love my truck. The people that owned it before did not take care of it.

I love the way it looks and drives; it handles great on the road and runs great.

These trucks are long lasting when they are taken care of. I look forward to reaching 300,000 or more in this truck.

Review Date: 26th May, 2008

10th Jul 2009, 22:35

Still driving my 86 Nissan pickup. It is used for towing vehicles and it will still haul a boat.

1986 Nissan 720 Pickup 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

Wish I could find one or buy like new

Tune up; seats had to be rebuilt, has a valve ticking noise.

Wish I could buy a brand new one. An unbelievable truck.

Very stiff suspension.

A real compact truck.

General Comments:

A real tough compact truck; a better 4x4 than a Jeep (had one).

Review Date: 17th April, 2008

1986 Nissan 720 Pickup hardbody Z 24 from North America

Summary:

The 86 Nissan is a great little truck!

I have recently had a continuous problem with acceleration. Upon accelerating the engine sometimes shuts down, but will immediately restart. Other times when I accelerate it acts like the engine is starving for gas and will not rev up. Sometimes I pull off the road and sit trying to accelerate until the engine revs up enough to take off again. Upon doing so the same thing happens again. I have had all the vacuum hoses replaced as well as the carburetor gasket in the event it was a air problem in the carburetor. I also replaced the plugs and wires as well. I am at a loss as to what the problem is and would welcome any help from someone who perhaps has or had a similar problem.

General Comments:

The truck runs great when the acceleration is okay and couldn't ask for better performance.

Review Date: 26th February, 2007

31st Jul 2007, 13:28

I have the same problem with my Nissan. According to the research I have done, the Throttle Position Sensor needs to be replaced they are around $120 new and about $45 at a local junkyard. If you cannot afford a new one take the throttle position sensor off and clean the contacts inside of it. The throttle position sensor can also be adjust with the mount as well, I do not know the specification needed in order for the sensor to be in the right place on the mounting bracket.

16th Feb 2009, 11:11

Check distributor cap and plug wires for cracks!

3rd Jul 2010, 15:40

I have the same problem. Mine won't drive over 3000 RPM. I'm thinking it is the throttle body sensor (position).

1986 Nissan 720 Pickup 720 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

Dependable

Bought it in Oct 2002 with 19,500 miles.

Replaced shocks.

Replaced clutch.

Added radio and cruise control.

Got totaled in a wreck, May 2006 with 34,500 miles.

General Comments:

This truck was bought new in Roswell, GA in 1986 by the father of a frat brother I knew from college. Over the years I would borrow it for errands, but no one in the family drove it except the old man cause it was a 5 speed.

When he died in 2002 they sold it to me with 19,500 miles on it. Still had the original tires! It became my daily driver and got 24mpg in town and 30+mpg on the road. Last year I added cruise control cause I commuted to NC monthly. The bench seat was not that comfortable, but it was hard to beat the mileage.

Last May I loaned it to a friend and he wrecked it. Bashed in the whole right side, had 34,500 original miles. Made me sick to see it!!

Review Date: 29th July, 2006