1998 Nissan Frontier 2.4 liter from North America

Summary:

It is a solid, dependable, reliable truck. Easy to work on

I have had the truck only for one year, but so far there have been no problems. I had to do a brake job, but I don't see that as a problem, rather normal maintenance.

I do wish it had a bigger fuel tank.

General Comments:

I love this little truck. It belongs to my son. I have a 2005 Ford F-150, but my son and I have been swapping trucks, as he has been wanting to drive the bigger F-150.

I love the fuel economy and the reliability. It has decent power for a 4-cylinder, and I am able to use the truck to pull a trailer loaded with mowing equipment.

I'm curious to see how the truck does in snow and ice this winter.

Review Date: 26th September, 2011

1998 Nissan Frontier LX 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

Comfortable truck, great engine

Problems:

The big ones are synchro on 2nd gear is worn out.

Rode the clutch too much because of that, and now the clutch is worn out.

Other than those, there was the myriad of small fixes that are standard (belts, brakes, etc).

General Comments:

Comfortable truck, great engine.

Loses power on the uphills... but what can you expect for a 4 cyl loaded down.

Problems just started now, and they are partially from neglect (sorry truck!!).

Drove the truck across Canada a few times, all seasons, handled great, was dependable to start even at -30 C. 4x4 kept me from getting stuck and kept me on the road in all conditions (lived in a mountain town for a while... we got large amounts of snow, and when other vehicles were off the road, this one was still out there).

Review Date: 1st July, 2011

1998 Nissan Frontier XE 2.4 from North America

Summary:

Small problems, but very reliable

Air bag light.

Speedometer quit working at 130,000 miles.

Clutch went at 110,000 miles.

Lock in hubs on left side broke because they're made of plastic.

General Comments:

This truck is very reliable and can stand up to rough treatment, but the speedometers are bad, been looking for used ones, but they're bad also.

The lock in hubs are plastic, and if used a lot, will break and you have to replace the entire hub.

Air bag light came on at 80,000, and had the computer reset, but came back on.

I had 2 Ford trucks; one F150 and one Ford Ranger. The ranger blew up at 90,000 and the F150 had tons of problems.

Overall I would rate the 1998 Nissan Frontier probably 2 or 3 times more reliable than the Fords.

Review Date: 13th February, 2009

1998 Nissan Frontier XE from North America

Summary:

Had for 11 yrs now. VERY reliable with regular maintenance. Started up every time in freezing temps

I've never had any problems. Truck has regular maintenance.

General Comments:

Roomy cabin, great turning radius, can feel a little sluggish sometimes when trying to pick up speed uphill.

Review Date: 8th December, 2008

1998 Nissan Frontier XE 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

This little truck is like an energizer bunny; keeps going and going..

Headlights went out at 64,000 miles.

Inside dashboard lights went out at 58,000.

Brake pads replaced at 60,000 miles.

General Comments:

The top cover came off at 40,000 (roof top cover). I went to the flea market to replace it and they gave me a better quality roof top cover. Kept sagging, I guess the heat wore it down (insulation cover), I don't have that problem anymore.

I will replace the carpet next. It is dirty but has nothing to do with manufacture. It is my fault. I spill drinks and eat in the truck. Seats are good. I shampoo wash them often.

Very reliable and starts quickly when it comes to cold weather. Has never left me on the streets. In fact, lots of people and friends ask me if I would sell them my truck.

I need a reliable car because I'm currently attending college right now, and I don't need a car that keeps breaking up on me. My previous cars have done that. Mitsubishi, Hyundai, Ford Tempo, and even my 84 Toyota Corolla, which lasted a long time and that was during my military years. Drove that son of gun out of town whenever I had a chance. It finally left me in between New Orleans and Houston.

Review Date: 20th March, 2008