1998 Nissan Frontier XE 2.4 I4 from North America

Summary:

A dependable value in a 4X4

When I first bought the car it would not shift into 4WD, either sitting in the lot or going down the highway / trail. This was before I signed the final paperwork. Nissan never told me what the problem was, but they fixed it in less than 10 minutes, and I signed for it and left the dealership. While I only put 29K on this truck, it's some of the hardest miles I've ever seen, lifetime. You see, it lived in Fairbanks Alaska.

General Comments:

-40, -50 - this truck never failed to turn right over and start. Granted I had a block heater and battery blanket (necessities in the far north) but this is still a good sign.

As for off road performance, I specifically remember driving past a STUCK military-issue Hummer. I kept going to the end of the trail (OK - so it was a swampy bog, not a trail... details) and managed to get back just fine. Nary a whimper from the truck. I actually managed to drive across part of a small river in it. Make no mistake, folks - this truck can get it done. I've taken this rig rock-hopping, snow-riding, out on lake ice, though thick mud and then some - and never got stuck. Pretty impressive for a compact 4cyl with no winch, no lift and stock tires.

Nissan's new braking system (standard on my truck) works very well. Driving 50mph in 4WD the truck did fantastic on rock / gravel roads, even in the sharper turns. Braking was coordinated and not too harsh - but still quite effective if you had to romp on the pedal.

Bottom line? I was a -fool- to sell this truck and I've been shopping for one ever since.

Review Date: 30th June, 2003

1998 Nissan Frontier XE regular cab 2.4 from North America

Summary:

About as exciting as white paint

Only minor problems with this truck. License plate light sockets corroded. These were replaced under warranty. Plastic tailgate trim was falling off. This too replaced under warranty. "Service engine soon" light comes on intermittently. For $100 dealer cleans Egr valve and trucks o.k. for another year or so. Need to figure out how to fix this myself.

General Comments:

This is a no-frills truck that rides like a horse. I knew I wouldn't have a Cadillac ride when I bought it, so no big deal. The longest I can sit in it at one time is about two hours, but it hauls me to work without incident. On the plus side, the engine runs like a V-6 and gets about 28 miles per gallon.

Review Date: 23rd April, 2003

1998 Nissan Frontier XE 2WD 2.4L from North America

Summary:

Best bargain ever with solid reliability

Had to replace windshield wiper arm on driver side at 50K miles ($25).

Replaced the rubber inside passenger side front fender at 50K miles ($59).

Replaced passenger side windshield wiper fluid nozzle at 82K miles ($5).

General Comments:

For the money you cannot buy anything cheaper and more reliable. I bought it for $12,000. I put 63,000 miles on this vehicle in 2.5 years and since then have slowed down a little bit. It has not had any problem besides the little ones noted above. It is extremely reliable. I have driven it hard and it always performs. Have used it to help people move, go to Home Depot to buy home improvement stuff - it just continues to chug along.

Review Date: 18th March, 2003

1998 Nissan Frontier XE ka24de from North America

Summary:

Good reliable transportation

The A/C quit working at about 135,000 miles, too expensive to fix, so I haven't. It broke a torsion bar at around 150,000 miles. $80 for the part at the dealer. Alternator went at 171,000 miles $190-230 rebuilt. I got a used one for $100. The original clutch is still in the truck, and it has been a pizza delivery truck since day one, so it's not like it hasn't been abused.

General Comments:

This is the best vehicle I've ever owned.

I'd strongly recommend it to anyone needing a good truck with low operating costs.

I get 24mpg around town-redlining it at every shift!

Review Date: 27th August, 2002