1998 Nissan Frontier Reviews - Page 3 of 5

Model year1998
First year of ownership1998
Engine and transmission 4 cylinder Automatic
Previous carHonda Accord

Summary:

Great truck would buy another

Tailgate finisher panel fell off during cold weather

Windshield wipers failed twice, connection to motor broke and pivots replaced. No other problems.

General Comments:

Excellent vehicle reliability. Had two Honda's before with more problems than this vehicle. Rides stiff, but not uncomfortable could use a bit more power than the 4 puts out, but not terrible. Drive on the highway daily and has adequate acceleration.

Review Date: 22nd December, 2004

1998 Nissan Frontier EX 4 cylinder. from North America

Engine and transmission 4 cylinder. Automatic
Previous carToyota Cressida

Summary:

A roomy, economical, reliable little truck

The air conditioner makes a grinding noise when turned on. I haven't yet had it looked at, but I am betting it is the compressor.

The windshield seems to crack very easily. I have had three cracks repaired (with no off roading).

General Comments:

I like this truck for what it is: a small, economical, starter truck. I bought it in order to feel more comfortable on rural and logging roads without going overboard and losing gas mileage.

I find it comfortable and very responsive. I drive 110 miles a day at a minimum, and don't find myself too worn out by the drive. The loss of the air conditioning has hit me hard (I live in the desert and it is July), but I will have it looked at.

I like that the engine compartment is roomy, so I can do minor replacements myself. My Cressida was a nightmare in terms of the simplest headlight or air filter replacement.

I like the bare bones, no-power-anything design of the interior. And, I have had three people ride, two in the bucket seats, one in the kick seat, for short distances without too many complaints.

Review Date: 28th July, 2004

10th Dec 2004, 12:13

The problem mentioned about the air conditioner may be covered in a re-call concerning air-conditioners on this truck. Mine had 72000 when the AC went out, but was covered in the recall. The problem is the connection at the air compressor vibrates until it breaks and causes the failure. The dealer replaced the connection and all tubing along the firewall and recharged it for free. They were great.

1998 Nissan Frontier 4x2 2.4 inline-4 from North America

Engine and transmission 2.4 inline-4 Manual
Previous carMazda B2200

Summary:

An outstanding truck for the money

I have had no major problems with this truck as of yet. And I have driven this truck hard.

Only problems I had were the airbag light and the hood release cable snapped and I replaced that for $20 myself.

General Comments:

This truck is great. Unlike my last truck this one is extremely reliable. I've put 7000 miles on it since I bought it back in January of this year. I live in Fairbanks, Alaska and I have to say I was surprised that it fired up every time, granted I do have block, oil, and battery heaters. I'll keep this truck until the wheels fall off.

Review Date: 8th July, 2004

9th Jul 2004, 13:04

I'm the guy who wrote the review on this truck and I did fail to mention one thing, the gas mileage is great considering the conditions I live in and how hard I drive it. I got from downtown Anchorage, AK to Fairbanks, AK on one tank of gas. And that is about 380 miles worth of traveling right there.

1998 Nissan Frontier XE 2.4L 4 cylinder from North America

Engine and transmission 2.4L 4 cylinder Manual
Previous carFord Probe

Summary:

A simple, yet reliable vehicle

I have some sort of suspension problem with the left side. The truck leans to one side and I can tell that the wheel well is a lot higher off the right wheel than it is off the left wheel. I haven't gotten it checked out because I am broke right now so I don't know how much it will cost to fix.

The clutch feels like its about to go out. It is very stiff and sometimes it grinds the gears while I shift even when I have the clutch all the way down.

General Comments:

The truck feels like it struggles once it gets past 60. I don't think Nissan should have made this truck with only a 4 cylinder. It seems very underpowered.

Overall this truck is a good truck. It has served me well, other than a few minor problems. If I could do it all again i would get a Ford Ranger though!!

Review Date: 9th June, 2004

15th Mar 2008, 14:25

The problem with the lean to one side can easily be fixed in your driveway with a wrench and about 20 minutes. It likely is that a torsion bar is out of adjustment and needs more tension. I reset both of mine to factory specs in a matter of half an hour.