1995 Nissan Hardbody Pickup Reviews - Page 4 of 10

1995 Nissan Hardbody Pickup XE King Cab KA24E 2.4 SOHC 4 cylinder from UK and Ireland

Model year1996
Engine and transmission KA24E 2.4 SOHC 4 cylinder Manual

Summary:

Reliable no matter what I did to it

The center drive shaft support bearing needed to be replaced twice in the 32,000 miles I had it.

General Comments:

I loved this truck I used to beat it so hard. Always ran great no problems other than what was listed. I would probably still have the truck if it wasn't for my heavy foot (it was my first truck) I took a turn way too fast and rolled it about 60 mph. Rolled it back over, checked the fluids, and drove it home. In fact I drove it for several weeks to follow to and from work.

Review Date: 12th December, 2007

1995 Nissan Hardbody Pickup XE 2.4L from North America

First year of ownership1997
Engine and transmission 2.4L Manual
Previous carToyota Pickup

Summary:

Good truck, but frame rusted out prematurely

Must be something about bad about these frames. My 95 Nissan 4X4 Kingcab has major frame rust. I am trying to get it fixed, but discouraged by other comments. Otherwise has been good reliable truck.

General Comments:

I will think twice before buying another Nissan truck. I have other Nissans. Good cars. Will be taking pictures and calling/writing Nissan about this one.

Review Date: 9th November, 2006

1995 Nissan Hardbody Pickup ex 2.4 from North America

Year of manufacture1994
Most recent distance120000 miles
Previous carToyota 4Runner

Summary:

Really good economical hauler

Nothing that was the fault of the manufacturer.

General Comments:

Most reliable car I've ever owned.

All I've ever had to do is routine maintenance. (ie. plugs, filters, fluids)

Any other repairs were my fault. I installed my stereo badly and knocked out my dash lights. Fixed by mechanic who re-wired stereo. That's about it.

Great gas mileage for a small pickup. (24 city/ 27 hwy)

Good performance for base model pickup with small 4 cylinder.

Review Date: 18th October, 2005

1995 Nissan Hardbody Pickup from North America

First year of ownership1995
Engine and transmission Manual
Previous carSubaru GL

Summary:

Hands down most dependable vehicle I have ever owned

82K - alternator

111K - turn signal switch, windshield washer motor

140?K - power steering pump

162K - heater blower.

Current minor issues: Lid for the center console fell off. Probably because my Rottweiler keeps standing on it.

EGR light is glowing. Local mechanic says a code needs to be reset, but the nearest Nissan dealer is 70 miles away and this doesn't appear to be a worry.

Needs a new set of shocks.

Clutch is feeling a bit sloppy, but it's original at 170K. No slipping.

The mirror glass fell off the drivers' side recently, but didn't break. I epoxied back on.

The seals around the windows are worn now, so the cabin is a bit noisy at high speeds. It's never had annoying squeaks or rattles, just wind noise.

General Comments:

This truck has been stunningly reliable; I've owned many vehicles and none have been this bullet-proof.

In addition to the "gone wrongs" listed, I've replaced front brake pads twice. The rear brakes and rotors are original & in good shape (just had them checked.)

One set of shocks.

Put in upgrade stereo system.

Everything else is original - clutch, exhaust system, no electrical problems, nada. I have even taken this truck to my mechanic and told him to go over it carefully and tell me what I need and he can't find anything wrong. I do regular fluid changes and tuneups.

This has been a work & hauling vehicle primarily; I've also driven it several thousand miles in Mexico on road trips. It's worked hard.

Ride is truck-like, but pretty comfortable. Ergonomics are great, I can see and reach everything no problem (smallish woman.) The xtra-cab seats are a joke, the space is handy for storage though.

Engine bogs down a bit on mountain inclines, but otherwise pretty peppy. Handling is excellent, considering it's a truck. I have towed a kit car from Denver to LA, and a boat, with no problems. Not wonderful on ice and snow, but if you put weight over the wheels and know how to drive a RWD in snow it's fine.

Mileage is around 20 MPG, but I have a topper and usually carry some extra weight.

Review Date: 9th October, 2005

16th Sep 2006, 15:04

I am the proud owner of a 1995 Nissan XE. This has been the most amazing vehicle I have ever owned. Here is what has been done to it.

-Upgraded to Pioneer Cd player.

- Dual exhaust with Flow master muffler. (increased h.p.about 15%)

- New tires.

What needs to be done.

- Headliner re-hung.

- Windshield re-sealed.

- Check engine light comes on most of the time. (E.G.R.sensor)

That pretty much is the story of my 166,257 mile miracle.

26th May 2009, 09:39

I am the person who wrote the original review of this truck in Oct 2005.

Update: It's still going strong, now with 228,000 miles. It has never let me down yet!

Since Oct 2005 I have done two further repairs:

Finally did a new clutch at about 180K. ($560.00)

Another alternator at 192K. (About $300.00)

Maintenance items: One set front shocks, one set front brakes, new tires, tune up, oil changes.

The A/C went out sometime in 2007 and I just can't bring myself to spend $800 on it! This is just my work truck - I have a newer second vehicle with the required amenities.

People are starting to tease me and ask if I am ever going to get a "nicer" work truck. I say, why should I? I'm on a mission now to see who lives longer - me or this truck. It doesn't leak a drop of anything and I swear the repairs I've listed are the ONLY ones. Everything else is original.

And no, I am not an employee of Nissan or any other automobile manufacturer. :)