1995 Nissan Hardbody Pickup Reviews - Page 3 of 10

1995 Nissan Hardbody Pickup 4x4 XE 3.0 from North America

Model year1995
Year of manufacture1995
Previous carChevrolet Truck

Summary:

It's a Nissan truck that looks good. Beware

We purchased our Nissan 4x4 truck knowing there was a very small area of rust starting to appear around the drivers side front fender. The truck was for my son, it was to be his 1st vehicle and with the mileage at 55,000 miles, the motor, transmission and transfer case all seemed to be in very good condition, and we paid almost $7000.00.

After we purchased the truck, the rust became more and more noticeable, almost to where the front fender was falling off the car.

Next the front brake calipers rusted so bad the began to lose fluid. I replace both calipers only to find the ABS unit had begun to leak also. Before I was done, I replaced 4 brake lines, 1 ABS unit, 2 front calipers and 2 rotors.

We purchased this truck from a very well known local dealer, and felt safe with the information he had told us about the rust not being a structural issue. Because of all the problems we have been having with the truck, we decided, after owning it one year and driving about 10,000 to trade it in and take the loss. We had no idea what was coming next, when we went to a car lot we were told the truck's frame was so unsafe they couldn't by law resale the car. They told my son and myself we shouldn't be driving it at all. Not believing the frame could be that bad, I took it to 2 more lots, and saying nothing about the frame, both lots were as concerned for our safety as was the 1st one.

Two of the lots I knew the people I was speaking to. I'm a Building Inspector in the Township. We then drove home and parked the truck.

General Comments:

If you own a Nissan pickup, any model, please have it checked out by your mechanic. We all carry very important passengers in our vehicles.

One the main problems is brake lines rusting thru, and with the fluid leaking out you have no brakes.

The other main problems is the framing rusting so badly it rusts all the way thru, and the truck's frame could easily break in half.

*** Toyota had the same problems during the same years, but because they care about the safety of their customers, they are offering these owners 15% above Kelly Blue to buy back their trucks. ***

We should all get together and file a class action law suit to get their attention.

Review Date: 9th August, 2008

18th Mar 2009, 17:03

I own a 1994 Nissan Extended Cab XE 4x4, and I have had no major problems with the truck with the exception of the exhaust leak at the head (a manifold bolt is missing?)

I bought the truck in Colorado from a dealer in Boulder, and it's like the energizer bunny, it just keeps going and going.

Minimal rust, brakes work well, I'm keeping it maintained as it passed the smog-check here in socali.

20th Feb 2010, 22:34

I own a 1993 Nissan King Cab 4x4, and the back of the frame is rotted completely out; almost nothing left but welds.

The brakes are garbage, same problem with the front calipers, they're are very well known for clutch issues (mine has a weak clutch), but other than that LOL, it is one hell of a tough truck. I'm just gonna cut it in half, and weld the back half of an S10 to it.

1st Mar 2010, 10:24

Hello, I also own a 1993 Nissan Hard Body 4x4, and my frame is flat out junk, it is real bad at the rear section, and broke in half at the rear cab mounts. Would love to find a good frame...

1995 Nissan Hardbody Pickup XE 2.4 from North America

Model year1995
Year of manufacture1995
Previous carMercury Sable

Summary:

Timex, keeps on ticking, a reliable friend

Speed sensor seal caused tranny to leak; had to get new speed sensor and the tranny refilled for 300.00.

Mid-pipe on exhaust leaked, so replaced and new exhaust hangars.

General Comments:

This truck was a replacement for a 94 that rusted thru on the frame. The frame on this 95 is solid. I've undercoated it and removed scale rust.

I drive 40 miles a day, and the truck performs like a top.

I wish I had A/C, but the sliding rear window makes a huge difference, as does the power steering compared to the 94. I plan to add factory A/C from a wrecked Nissan at a Pick and Pull.

Gas mileage is variable; with some city and highway, I manage about 24 miles to the gallon. Worth keeping on that alone.

Truck's paint job has held up well. I keep it waxed. I've added chrome wheels from a wrecked truck and it looks just that much better. I've added a cap to it for foul weather usage.

Miles are extremely low for a 13 year old truck; plan to keep it as long as possible.

Review Date: 11th April, 2008

13th May 2010, 14:44

I inherited this 1995 4 x 4 from my Mom after my step Dad passed away with him being the original buyer. It only had 64,000 miles, and with A/C and cruise control... it was sweet indeed.

Now 7 years later, and 120,000 I've added to the mileage; I haven't had any problems. It's been stolen twice and recovered -- all I've had to replace was a window and a stereo. I live on the coast -- so I've been diligent with waxing... and only now have just found one small rust spot near the bottom of the door hinge. It's been economical and a pleasure to own.