1997 Nissan Hardbody Pickup XE 2.4 from North America

Reliable, dependable & good looking little truck. Love "Lil' Red"

Front end alignments.

Headliner sagging.

1 headlight replacement.

General Comments:

Great little truck! Owned by a family business & driven by 1 employee who was very meticulous on cleanliness & service. Bought from the company as our back-up vehicle & routine daily driver for a while. Also hauled stuff on a farm.

Gas mileage is around 24 MPG empty, 19-20 hauling. Unfortunately it has sat in the sun & weather outside, which took a toll on the headliner, which is sagging badly & needs to be replaced. Paint is still glossy, despite being outdoors since 1997 until 2012, when a place was made for it in a garage.

Dependable -- reliable -- nice looking red with factory sporty striping, AM/FM/cassette radio & A/C as the only creature comforts.

Review Date: 26th June, 2013

1997 Nissan Hardbody Pickup Extra Cab EX 2.4 from North America

Well built little brute!!

OK.. Got this truck from a used car lot where it sat for 2 months. As a result, the thermostat was stuck open. Easy $11 fix from Napa.

Belts and hoses under the hood were all original, thus I replaced them all. I changed out those stupid wire type clamps Nissan used, for the band and worm screw type ones.

2 months after I got it, the throw out bearing needed to be replaced. $17 part, but was $450 in labor to replace it. I didn't have the right tools, and it was in the middle of the winter. LOL!!

Other than the above, this has been a good little truck.

General Comments:

The Nissan 2.4 has to be the most capable grunty work horse I have ever owned. Considering its size, it's like a Mini Pincher dog (all attitude and willing to take on larger dogs) HAHA!!

The 5 spd manual is smooth and well built. Winter driving in this 2wd is doable with 300 lbs of sand in the back. Good tires are a MUST! I have the Cooper CS4 touring tires rated at 80,000 miles.

Steering is smooth and responsive. Not a sports car, but better than my Cadillac.

Suspension is a little stiff, but it's a truck. I keep forgetting though, because it corners like a sports car. I'm thinking about getting some Monroe Sense A Tracks to help with the ride.

MPG is decent considering the HardBody 2.4 is a real truck motor (timing chain). I realized that with any vehicle, if you keep your foot off the floor, the EPA MPG rating is on par.

Working on this little guy is a breeze. The engine bay is what every car manufacturer should strive to do. Plenty of room for my big hands. Replacement parts are plentiful and reasonable for being Japanese. If you can afford it, then use Nissan or Napa parts. Most parts from the dealer are either made in Japan, or the good Ol' USA.

The only inherited issues with the 2.4 are that the plastic timing chain guides become brittle over time and will break, thus allowing the chain to rattle on start up for about 3 seconds until oil pressure builds. Everyone I talked to says it's harmless. The parts manager at my dealership ran his to 300,000 with no ill effects. I use Nissan oil filters with the patented anti-drain back valve. It seems to be helping. Every MFG has its own quirks. Yes, even Honda is not perfect. Remember, cars are machines that are designed by fault riddled humans.

Long story short... I would buy another HardBody in a second. I'm currently looking for a 93-97 HB 4x4. They are hard to find with low miles. I wonder why? :) I over paid for this truck, but hey it has lived up to the HB reputation. If you do light hauling and want a well engineered vehicle, then the HardBody is the one.

Review Date: 2nd May, 2011

23rd Oct 2012, 20:41

Go to Nashville TN, you can get one there.

31st Jan 2013, 18:02

I have had 2 Hardbody trucks; a 94 and now a 97. Somebody took the 94 and it was never found. So with a little looking, I found a 97 rust free with low miles (47k)! Being in Wisconsin, it's stored for winter.

I love this little truck. I'm looking for another, just for fun...

15th Sep 2015, 01:20

I have a 97 Nissan XE just bought from a younger adult about 3 months ago. Needed some TLC and I'm still working on it. I have the same problem with the throw out bearing, it whines when engaged when cold and it stops after warming up. I love this little strong running truck, 178k+ miles. Nice truck.