1997 Nissan Maxima Reviews - Page 5 of 10

1997 Nissan Maxima GLE V6 from North America

First year of ownership1999
Engine and transmission V6 Automatic

Summary:

Reliable and fun to drive!

After 2004, the alternator started going out much faster than it should, about every 12-18 months.

I am not sure if this car would make it to, say, from Cleveland, Ohio to Sacramento, California.

The car also seems to sit a little lower than other cars.

Front-driver's side window died 2 years ago.

The factory installed Bose stereo system has died and it must be replaced.

General Comments:

I get great mileage. About 23-27 miles per gallon on the highway.

The cabin is black leather interior. I have a sunroof.

The only thing unsatisfying about this car's interior is the small amount of room. I am 6"4 and when I drive, the steering wheel almost scraped against my knees, even when I adjust it to its highest point. It can be a little annoying sometimes, but overall the car is great.

Review Date: 6th July, 2008

1997 Nissan Maxima SE VQ30DE from North America

Engine and transmission VQ30DE Manual

Summary:

The best midsize sedan ever!!!

222k replaced clutch, CV boots, front struts...

225k replaced O2 sensor, spark plugs and cleaned throttle, air filter, fuel filter...

Needs brakes/rotors, motor for power passenger seat & some body work... & check engine light still won't go off, but oh well, it still runs just as good as my 03 Infiniti and I love it!

General Comments:

Still fun, reliable, & durable even after 225k miles! I don't think twice about taking long trips with it. Everything still works... I will always be a Nissan/Infiniti fan.

Review Date: 23rd April, 2008

1997 Nissan Maxima SE VQ30DE from North America

Engine and transmission VQ30DE Manual

Summary:

Nissan is the Best!

At 222,000 miles car needed front struts, cv boots, and clutch. During a check up at 224,000 Nissan says car has 2 very minor oil leaks, and needs an O2 sensor (which explains SES light).

General Comments:

Love it. It is so reliable and durable. This car runs just as good as my 2003 Infiniti I35. I drive it daily from Southern VA to Northern VA and car runs like a dream. Its still comfortable and the Bose sound better than my Infiniti. Plan to keep for another 100k or miles.

Review Date: 2nd March, 2008

1997 Nissan Maxima 3.0 V6 from North America

Engine and transmission 3.0 V6 Manual
Previous carHyundai Elantra

Summary:

If you want a reliable, good looking family car-this is the ONE!

I feel a slight vibration in the front. I think the alloys have been damaged!Nothing more really in 20K miles, can you believe it?!!!It needs octane 93 or higher.

General Comments:

This is the best car I have ever had (BMW 3,Volvo, Hyundai Elantra)!!!It is comfortable, reliable, power full, great on gas (despite it's V6 engine),stable on the road, maintenance is conditionally cheap for the car of it's class!!!There is a chain instead of timing belt.

Review Date: 13th December, 2007

1997 Nissan Maxima SE 6 from North America

Engine and transmission 6 Automatic
Most recent distance112000 miles
Previous carNissan Stanza

Summary:

Fair

Had a new muffler and tailpipe installed from the cat back to the muffler. A little while after the work my SES light came on. Auto shop said the code indicated OS2 failures. Cancelled code, drove car and SES came on again. Replaced two OS2 sensors. Soon after SES back on and now it is the knock sensor. Replaced it. SES back on and now it's the OS2 sensors again. Replaced the other two. SES back on, I surrendered and did nothing. Drove several months and the SES went by it self. Six months pass and the SES is back on. I feel that the tailpipe and muffler work had something to do with this problem, but after reading all the posts I have my doubts now and think that Nissan is to blame.

Review Date: 12th November, 2007

26th Sep 2010, 01:14

Did you know 4th gen Maxima uses 3 O2 sensors in the FED version and 4 O2 sensors in the California version? Most likely your "mechanic" could not find the O2 sensor that was bad indeed, and keeps changing the easiest 2 to replace.

I owned 4 of those cars so far, and in their class, they are the most powerful, most reliable, most easy to fix of any other cars. Trust me, I've owned more than 40 cars, and I keep coming back to a Maxima for a reason.

There are just a few flaws, but nothing major.

Here is my personal opinion: the car tends to sag from rear over time, damn knock sensor is "almost" impossible to change without dismantling everything, but there is a way of not having to do all that. Read Maxima.org, debris accumulates around the oil cap and I'm very picky, I hate to think any of that dirt getting inside the engine.

Paint on 97-99 seems to chip easily, but just on the hood, nowhere else but the hood, and the worst is that over time, it seems like the sun discolors either the dash or passenger air bag, and I hate it when it's tan color; it looks like the air bag came from another car.

Noisy engine, but this is timing CHAIN, not belt, hence the noisiness.

400 miles tanks on a trip from here to Ohio and back, so 6 tanks round trip.