1995 Nissan Pathfinder SE from North America

For the money they cost, they should be of better quality

Frame rot (at the rear tire wells) to the point of brake lines letting go and having no brakes on a major state highway.

My fingers can crumple the frame. What a scary experience!

General Comments:

This car went through 4 kids.

The rot was very quick (passed inspection in September)

Review Date: 28th January, 2009

1995 Nissan Pathfinder from North America

Like all others listed, my frame is rusted out, and I only purchased this 95 Pathfinder 2 years ago because it looked so clean, never realizing the issues they have with the frame.

Today the local tire company turn away my business for this defect, but also suggested to contact Nissan because he had a customer come in with a new Nissan who had the 95 also at one time with rusted frame.

The customer said Nissan worked it out with him. If I could afford a new one, I would look into this, but I just want it repaired for now. I just sent a e-mail to Nissan, and if they help out I will post it, thanks.

Review Date: 10th January, 2009

1995 Nissan Pathfinder XE-V6 3.0L V6 from North America

Will get you anywhere and never let you down

Replaced the rear wheel cylinder on the drivers side (brakes) a month after I got it ($145)

Put in a whole new exhaust and fixed the manifolds at 250k ($930 for the exhaust and $300 for the manifolds).

I had to get the center link and inner tie rods replaced at 259k, because I slid into a curb and damaged the original parts. 600 dollars total. I was told that the truck had never had an alignment, as all the bolts were completely covered in rust proofing and were very tight, although, only a couple things needed minor adjustment.

Frame will need to be patched this spring, but I have a line on that so it won't cost me much, being the poor college student I am :)

General Comments:

I love this truck, it takes me anywhere I want to go and has never let me down! I don't drive it hard, but it takes a beating in Ontario from the winters. It even still looks good for a 13 year old rig.

I maintain it very well and run only high quality synthetic oils. I flushed the transmission and I changed the timing belt and water pump just for cheap insurance. I know someone with over 600,000kms on their pathfinder, so I know mines just getting started.

The frame is starting to rust, but the mechanic says it's nothing to worry about and is being fixed in the spring. Just a couple small holes. I will get it rust proofed again. Edit: I had the frame rot fixed for 350 dollars. All you people complaining about the frame rust should have cleaned out the frame and rust proofed it! It isn't that hard to fix either.

Gas mileage is decent too, I get about 20 mpg on the highway and 17 in the city. I think I'll probably get another 5 years out of it before it needs any big work.

Review Date: 4th January, 2009

26th May 2010, 22:29

Update - This Pathfinder is at 310,000km's and still running strong. I have only changed the alternator and the lower ball joints. Other than that, it has been oil changes, a set of tires, and a set of brakes. I am getting ready to drive it cross country now and have complete faith that it will do just fine. The frame is still in great shape and the truck drives smooth as glass on the highway. Just make sure to keep those tires balanced well. I also added an external transmission cooler and filter to keep the fluid cool and clean. Seems to be humming along nicely.

10th Dec 2010, 01:27

Own a 1995 Nissan Pathfinder XE. I've had to change a few components for preventive maintenance, ie; starter, water pump, all new fan belts, flushed my transmission and radiator, tuned up, and regular periodic maintenance with oil changes, etc... I wouldn't trade it for the world, I really love my Finder.

30th Jan 2011, 02:04

I am the original poster. This is another update. I have since done a ton of work to the vehicle, though I did drive it on a 17k trip AROUND the USA this summer, I live in Ottawa Canada.

I have done:

- All brakes

- 3" suspension lift and 3" body lift

- ARB front bumper (looks awesome)

- Patched up the frame

- Replaced the rad cap

- Did a complete tune up

- Changed all the fluids again

- Fixed all the rust spots

- Added a trailer hitch and transmission temp gauge

- Replaced a CV axle

- Alignment

I have 348,000kms on it, and it is running perfectly on all original drive train components. At this rate, I will be driving this thing for the next 10 years, or until they make SUV's illegal!