1995 Nissan Pathfinder XE 3.0 from North America

Don't buy a 90-95 Pathfinder on the east coast!!

The better question is, what things have NOT gone wrong with this car?

When I first bought my 95 Pathfinder, I fell in love with it. Even though I noticed the rear bumper was rusted pretty good. That didn't affect the performance.

It wasn't until about 4 months after purchase that things started going wrong with it.

First off, the wheel bearings went out in the front. OK, it happens, no big deal. Right?

As soon as I get this fixed, the same week, the engine overheats so bad it splits the seal in the water pump and almost cracks the entire block. I mean it suddenly overheated so bad smoke started rolling out from under the hood. Turns out the thermostat got stuck and caused it to overheat. Needless to say to get to the thermostat in Pathfinders is ridiculous! It's very difficult.

Then I had to replace the water pump seal. I remember in my Chevy S-10 the water pump pulled right out. In this I had to take out the fan, the radiator and have of the front of the engine to get to it. Not easy!

As soon as this gets all back together, I figure since I have it apart I might as well replace what I can. So I tune it up, change the plugs, the filters, fuel filter and plug wires. Now it's running great! Until I hit a bump and somehow the exhaust cracks in half. Now I'm getting fed up. I reluctantly take it to a shop to get the exhaust fixed.

The very next day, I drive the car to work and go to hit the brakes and the pedal goes straight to the floor! The brake lines were busted!!! So I pump the brakes and look under the car and brake fluid is going everywhere. I'm scared to take it to another shop because the last shop wanted me to scrap the car cause the frame is so rusted out!!! I can stick my fist in all the holes in it.

I love the shape, look and features of my Pathfinder, and I want to restore it so bad, but I have already sunk over 5 grand in it in the past year. It is not worth it, especially being in college.

Review Date: 10th April, 2009

1995 Nissan Pathfinder SE 3.0 from North America

Rotted frame, shame Nissan, shame!

When I first got it, I put brakes on the front. Then about 2 months later I put tires on it.

The frame is gone on this SUV. My girlfriend is going to make some calls tomorrow on this. I can't believe Nissan hasn't done anything about this problem. These SUVs need taking off the road, they are nothing more than a death trap, accident waiting to happen. People will get hurt from these vehicles.

I can't afford to replace this truck, looks like I may have to start walking for awhile, I sure don't want to see anyone get hurt from mine.

My sister bought a new Altima, hope the frame doesn't rot on it. Nissan will have to do something about this, mine is a total waste.

I have 4 new tires and my Pioneer CD player and subs, the rest is trash...

My next vehicle is going up on a rack and will be inspected top to bottom.

General Comments:

The frame is gone at 155,000 miles and 14 years old. This truck would need a new frame for me to be able to keep it and be safe.

Review Date: 4th February, 2009

9th Feb 2009, 13:09

You are absolutely right. Your truck should be covered by Nissan for 45 yrs or 1,000,000 miles, whichever comes first.

10th Feb 2009, 05:36

Ummmm... the Altima has uni-body construction.

The Pathfinder has a body on frame.

2nd Sep 2009, 20:09

I agree with the whole rot thing on these vehicles. I just purchased a 1995 Pathfinder two weeks ago, and besides the terrible gas mileage, it is an awesome vehicle until I looked underneath it. The whole body is mint, but for some strange reason the whole frame on the passenger side is pretty much rotted through!!! I am not sure if there is anything I can do for this (maybe weld some plates into place or something to reinforce it??). Nissan should have spent more time on the whole rustproofing thing, especially being a SUV and most likely seeing a lot of offroad use.

16th Nov 2009, 12:37

Yes, shame on Nissan for not offering a LIFETIME warranty.

Doesn't anybody look at the underside of a used vehicle before buying them anymore? Geez!

4th Sep 2010, 18:42

I had two 1995 Pathfinders safety inspected recently (pre purchase), and both frames were rotted to the point where it was officially unsafe. Too bad, because they are great SUV's.

30th Oct 2010, 07:54

A used vehicle should be looked at first, but the point is with so many of one vehicle being deemed unsafe, it's a terrible screw up on Nissan's part.

30th Oct 2010, 18:24

Japanese cars are all on the way down. Toyota just recalled 1.5 million MORE cars, Honda added another huge recall, and Nissan just recalled over 2 million vehicles. I lunched with a friend today who told me he is driving his last Toyota (a Camry). He plans to buy a Ford Fusion.